Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin Transmission Concerns

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If you're experiencing any issues with your Aisin on your 2022, we wanted to post out this TSB that may assist your dealer in diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. If you need any help with your vehicle at the dealership, please reach out to us! We're available via direct messaging.

1673618847446.png

Callie
Ram Cares

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I can’t see this for some reason, but have seen it posted somewhere else. Does this mean the failure is repairable by a means other than a full replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amauri

Reaction score
....... Does this mean the failure is repairable by a means other than a full replacement?

And is there anything we could do proactively to prevent such a failure leaving us stuck somewhere on the side of the road far away from home?

My 22 3500 has a build date of 5/22 and so far with 8k miles has been flawless, mostly towing a 15k 5th wheel.
I'm thinking of dropping the pan to see if there are any metallic bits on the magnet before we head out on our next family outing with the trailer.

superjoe83

Reaction score
And is there anything we could do proactively to prevent such a failure leaving us stuck somewhere on the side of the road far away from home?

My 22 3500 has a build date of 5/22 and so far with 8k miles has been flawless, mostly towing a 15k 5th wheel.
I'm thinking of dropping the pan to see if there are any metallic bits on the magnet before we head out on our next family outing with the trailer.
You will likely see no metal in the pan, im guessing that either the snap ring itself is failing, or the groove in the clutch hub was not machined correctly and the snap ring is not seated all the way and eventually pops out. At that point the K1 clutch can not apply and you loose all forward gears except for 5th, 6th, and reverse, so at least you can back up, lol
My '22 was built on May 14th, so far with just under 5k on it its been good, but now I'm pretty nervous about driving it. I have a camping trip planned in May, so hopefully we will know exactly which trucks are effected in the near future.

amauri

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking the same as you, the snap ring is not seated in the groove and will simply fall off without prior warning.

aogmitch

Reaction score
My son ordered a ‘22 Limited HO 12/21. Delivered end of June ‘22. First week of Nov the trans went bad. Dealer installed a new trans and he finally got the truck back 1st week of Dec. He had about 3k on the truck and was not towing at the time.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
This just one more issue that may leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with or without your RV. I have been stranded once due to DEF problem. Apparently no legal fix ever. Since "Ram Cares" issued a TSB, this has probably occurred numerous times. Always waiting for the next shoe to drop. RAM seems to think it is acceptable to just bring it into a dealer for a repair, like the problem is instantly corrected. I would discourage anyone from buying a new RAM diesel. These are not the trucks we once knew. They have numerous points of failure and require a dealership to repair every little thing. This is is coming from an owner of a 2022 3500 DRW Limited Longhorn.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Everyone please keep your comments civil.
This just one more issue that may leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with or without your RV. I have been stranded once due to DEF problem. Apparently no legal fix ever. Since "Ram Cares" issued a TSB, this has probably occurred numerous times. Always waiting for the next shoe to drop. RAM seems to think it is acceptable to just bring it into a dealer for a repair, like the problem is instantly corrected. I would discourage anyone from buying a new RAM diesel. These are not the trucks we once knew. They have numerous points of failure and require a dealership to repair every little thing. This is is coming from an owner of a 2022 3500 DRW Limited Longhorn.
I'm beginning to seriously regret my recent purchase as well. My front diff is trashed at 2,000 miles and I'm just waiting for the tranny to strand me somewhere. This is a $90,000 vehicle that I had to wait 8 months to get and it's absolute trash straight from the factory. But hey, Ram got their very big *** and that's what Ram cares about. This is the 6th brand new Chrysler vehicle I have bought since 2005 and unless they get their sh!t together very quickly it is my last.

Last edited by a moderator:

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I've held onto my 04 as I was hesitant with the DEF problems, especially since I live in the cold north.

I've been very happy with my 22 HO so far, but like many of you, I bought the new truck to have better capability and just expected the reliability to be there. Time will tell.

flan

Reaction score
Guys you gotta remember these transmissions are not built by ram, and as far as aisin goes they probably sub out machined parts on occasion as well. For this snap ring grove issue all it takes is one small tolerance to go off in the machining process and the snap ring does not seat correctly. Should it be caught before owners are stranded? Yes. But **** happens all day every day in all aspects of manufacture. The tsb is a start, it admits the problem, with any luck a campaign will come from it once they ID the units with the issue so you can get it repaired before failure.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I've held onto my 04 as I was hesitant with the DEF problems, especially since I live in the cold north.

I've been very happy with my 22 HO so far, but like many of you, I bought the new truck to have better capability and just expected the reliability to be there. Time will tell.
I'm doing the same with my 05. Can't bring myself to sell it just yet. Waiting to see how my 23 turns out.

Summit1

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, and after becoming aware of other truck companies having problems with transmissions on some of their HD trucks, I looked into what Ford and GM are experiencing... we are not alone. Not that this helps, but I was told that they are blaming aftermarket modifications for the bulk of their problems, which they refer to and diminish as (in all too common corporate-speak) as "issues". Not sure I completely believe their reasoning/logic, but some of it may be possible.

Gkockrow

Reaction score

I’m with you. 2022 H O and only tail gate recall. 11000 miles mostly towing 10,000 lbs fifty Whl. Happy so far .

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, and after becoming aware of other truck companies having problems with transmissions on some of their HD trucks, I looked into what Ford and GM are experiencing... we are not alone. Not that this helps, but I was told that they are blaming aftermarket modifications for the bulk of their problems, which they refer to and diminish as (in all too common corporate-speak) as "issues". Not sure I completely believe their reasoning/logic, but some of it may be possible.

Ford had a massive recall on their 10-speed.

Sounds like GM is also starting to see issues with the the in-house built "Allison" branded trans.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
And it's not just transmissions. I bought my '22 Ram after numerous GM's since they can't seem to ever get a fuel system right on a diesel. They've also put worthless pistons in their Duramax for years and seen many failures. They've fought cheap electrical connectors for years now. They can't even get a freaking block heater right after years of failures and recalls. And after 2 Allison 6 speeds, I'll tell you so far I prefer my Aisin and I even have a Ford 5R100 I'd rank above my past Allison experiences.

I don't know all the ins and outs at Ford recently but I'm pretty sure they still have their share of issues as well. We all know their diesels were a complete shti show from 2003-2010 and they're still not immune. I've seen and heard of fuel system failures, turbos and even enough engine fires to see a trend. Not sure about their 10 speed issues but I was pretty sure when I started to see all this 10 speed stuff rolling out, I wanted no part of it. Another reason I ordered a Ram with the Aisin.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ford had a massive recall on their 10-speed.

Sounds like GM is also starting to see issues with the the in-house built "Allison" branded trans.
Gm starting to see issues? They have had terrible transmissions since 2020 with many issues with the 10 speed, not as many issues as ford but still lots of problems

jetrinka

Reaction score
Guys you gotta remember these transmissions are not built by ram, and as far as aisin goes they probably sub out machined parts on occasion as well. For this snap ring grove issue all it takes is one small tolerance to go off in the machining process and the snap ring does not seat correctly. Should it be caught before owners are stranded? Yes. But **** happens all day every day in all aspects of manufacture. The tsb is a start, it admits the problem, with any luck a campaign will come from it once they ID the units with the issue so you can get it repaired before failure.
The most coherent and fact based post regarding this whole issue.

Users who are viewing this thread