Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin Transmission Concerns

jsalbre

Reaction score
No he spelt it correctly the first time and they do make lots of transmissions for asian vehicles…
joke-jk.gif

bill999

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of older Toyota vehicles with poorly maintained transmissions and am really surprised to read the Aisin transmission is anything but bulletproof. You would think any Ram HD truck transmission would be designed in the same way Toyota manages their suppliers for the Land Cruiser.

Is this latest issue resolved for all 2023+ trucks?

I somewhat expect to have emissions systems failures but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger with the 68RFE and Aisin as my choices, based on what I am reading.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of older Toyota vehicles with poorly maintained transmissions and am really surprised to read the Aisin transmission is anything but bulletproof. You would think any Ram HD truck transmission would be designed in the same way Toyota manages their suppliers for the Land Cruiser.

Is this latest issue resolved for all 2023+ trucks?

I somewhat expect to have emissions systems failures but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger with the 68RFE and Aisin as my choices, based on what I am reading.

It appears it was a bad batch of internal parts.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a truck with an Aisin as long as it's outside the TSB range or has been replaced.

bill999

Reaction score
It appears it was a bad batch of internal parts.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a truck with an Aisin as long as it's outside the TSB range or has been replaced.
Thanks. I didn't notice a range for the VINs in the TSB. Was this really just a small number of trucks?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't notice a range for the VINs in the TSB. Was this really just a small number of trucks?
That's the problem. There is no VIN range given. The TSB is a blanket across all 2022 and 2023 Aisin-equipped trucks at this point. So as far as I know, there is no way to identify which trucks could potentially be affected. I started the crowd-source tracking sheet to obtain info, especially build dates, for the trucks that break down. I had hoped that I could identify a range or specific period during the 2022 production run when these issues started. So far, the majority of the trucks for which I have obtained build dates were built between April 2022 and October 2022. Not sure how accurate it is, but its a start. I started tracking these failures and speaking to owners about two weeks ago and I`m over 40 trucks on the list so far.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
That's the problem. There is no VIN range given. The TSB is a blanket across all 2022 and 2023 Aisin-equipped trucks at this point. So as far as I know, there is no way to identify which trucks could potentially be affected. I started the crowd-source tracking sheet to obtain info, especially build dates, for the trucks that break down. I had hoped that I could identify a range or specific period during the 2022 production run when these issues started. So far, the majority of the trucks for which I have obtained build dates were built between April 2022 and October 2022. Not sure how accurate it is, but its a start. I started tracking these failures and speaking to owners about two weeks ago and I`m over 40 trucks on the list so far.
Wow, 40 failures, that is incredible in such a limited sample. I never bought another Ford after the 6.0 due to no backup or recall. Hopefully Aisen/Stelantis will be better. Very concerning!! Good job.

JSOLHEIM

Reaction score
Thank you for all the effort in this matter I appreciate it!! I'm awaiting the outcome of effected build dates I too have a '22 H/O build date 9/21 I bought it 10/21 currently at 18,500 8K towing .

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
once they get this resolved, I think everyone will be happy with there transmission. My 21Ho. Has 55,000 miles on it all of it with a trailer in city traffic with absolutely no issues.

Chunkem

Reaction score
I ordered a 2022 Ram Limited Mega Cab dually in July of 2021 and received it August 2022. It was built 5-22, so I am keeping my fingers crossed however by the sounds of it and looking at the list of vehicles that are having the issues, they were built between April and October? I don't drive it a lot, so it only has 1600 kms.

Thanks for keeping that running list of vehicles affected. I am hoping they identify the trucks through the VINS and issue a recall.

Take care and stay safe,

Ed

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
once they get this resolved, I think everyone will be happy with there transmission. My 21Ho. Has 55,000 miles on it all of it with a trailer in city traffic with absolutely no issues.
They are definitely working on it. I have reason to believe they may have already started issuing updated transmissions to those trucks with failures. I have talked with three owners who have recently had their transmissions replaced under warranty due to the K1 snap ring failing. In all three instances, the transmission that was installed carried a new updated part number. I can confirm this as one of the three trucks required a second new transmission because the initial replacement failed rather quickly. While reviewing the work order after the truck was returned, we noted that the original replacement transmission carried part number 68498560AA. The second replacement transmission carried part number 68498560AB. This makes me think they have already begun to produce transmissions with the K1 snap ring issue rectified. The other two owners I mentioned checked their paperwork, both trucks had the 68498560AB transmission installed as well.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
They are definitely working on it. I have reason to believe they may have already started issuing updated transmissions to those trucks with failures. I have talked with three owners who have recently had their transmissions replaced under warranty due to the K1 snap ring failing. In all three instances, the transmission that was installed carried a new updated part number. I can confirm this as one of the three trucks required a second new transmission because the initial replacement failed rather quickly. While reviewing the work order after the truck was returned, we noted that the original replacement transmission carried part number 68498560AA. The second replacement transmission carried part number 68498560AB. This makes me think they have already begun to produce transmissions with the K1 snap ring issue rectified. The other two owners I mentioned checked their paperwork, both trucks had the 68498560AB transmission installed as well.

Is there a place on the transmission itself where we might find this? I’ll have to check my paperwork…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a place on the transmission itself where we might find this? I’ll have to check my paperwork…

I was going to try and crawl under my truck today to see if there was a part number on a tag somewhere. I just didn't have a chance. However the part number for your replacement transmission should absolutely be on the completed work order you received after getting your truck back. I have looked at three of them today and all three had the part number listed as one of the parts that was installed.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I was going to try and crawl under my truck today to see if there was a part number on a tag somewhere. I just didn't have a chance. However the part number for your replacement transmission should absolutely be on the completed work order you received after getting your truck back. I have looked at three of them today and all three had the part number listed as one of the parts that was installed.

Nice. I’ll check both places myself and report back if I find something. My new transmission is now 2 weeks old having only 300 miles on it… if there’s something on it hopefully I can still see it.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You're most likely outside of the affected range, I read somewhere that the mid 22 to early 23 build dates are affected.

Thank you for all the effort in this matter I appreciate it!! I'm awaiting the outcome of effected build dates I too have a '22 H/O build date 9/21 I bought it 10/21 currently at 18,500 8K towing .

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

Okay… it’s late, cold, and dark; so I haven’t looked under the truck yet. But, my paperwork shows the part number ending in “AB”. If your theory holds true, then the guys who had two transmissions fail should have work orders from the first replacement showing “AA” as the original part number… Do they?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay… it’s late, cold, and dark; so I haven’t looked under the truck yet. But, my paperwork shows the part number ending in “AB”. If your theory holds true, then the guys who had two transmissions fail should have work orders from the first replacement showing “AA” as the original part number… Do they?

I would like to see that paperwork also.

doctahouse

Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 HO Megacab Laramie SRW.

Build date 6/22. Took delivery end of 8/22. 6700 miles on the truck while towing at 2pm on November 13/22. I was only going 35 mph when it happened. Heard a loud bang and lost complete power in rush hour I10 California traffic. RAM Roadside "assistance" was completely useless and refused to tow my vehicle which included my trailer. Told me to wait on the shoulder until the next business day and they'd try again to find a tow company. (They could have found a tow company but wasn’t offering enough $ for any contractor to take the job. If I would have left it on the shoulder, pick up would have been at the impound yard along with those charges). Paid $1200US to E & C towing to have just my bumper pull trailer towed 26 miles to Redlands CA. Truck was towed to Redlands CDJR where initially they replaced the speed sensor, which it was not. They ended up ordering a new transmission, 68498560ab on November 16/22. Since I was traveling in the US from Canada, I was refused a rental vehicle even though I have factory extended warranty coverage, and I had to hire a contractor to haul my trailer and load back to Edmonton Canada. I started both a case with FCA Canada and FCA USA. Two weeks later, I was approved for $85/day (cdn) for a rental until my truck was back in my possession. A new transmission was replaced on Dec 16/22. FCA Canada told me the truck was going to be picked on Dec 16 from the dealer and shipped back to me via rail. Conveniently, when I called back the following week for the tracking info, they had no notes about the rail transportation and was told I had to pick it up myself which is 1800 miles away and drive or haul it 1800 miles back home. FCA USA closed the case on Jan 2/23. Lucky for FCA, all of my calls are recorded on my phone so FCA had to honor and ship the truck. The truck was picked up Jan 12/23 and arrived home Jan 20/23 via enclosed truck transportation. FCA has refused to cover the full duration of my rental period (11-22-22 to 01-20-23) and outright refused to cover any other out of pocket expenses I have incurred as direct a result of their use of defective parts.

Key take aways:

1. Record ALL your calls and keep a paper trail

2. FCA Canada and FCA USA customer service is absolutely horrendous and incredibly difficult to deal with

3. Hire a lawyer

4. RAM Roadside Assistance did not tow my truck when it was broken down despite spending $7696.50 on factory (403) additional warranty

5. Refused a rental to get home and took two weeks into my disruption to finally be approved for a rental until the repairs were completed and the truck returned back to my possession

6. FCA USA would not pull a replacement transmission from Canada even though a few were in stock and ready to ship

7. FCA Canada will not confirm if the new transmission installed in my truck has the service bulletin addressed or not. FCA will not have the new transmission inspected and I will have to pay out of pocket if I want it inspected. Reactive, not proactive in addressing the issue

Users who are viewing this thread