Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin Transmission Concerns

ARC223500

Reaction score
As much as I wish it was the case, a truck not getting flagged for the RSU is not an automatic guarantee that the transmission will not fail. I’ve spent quite a bit of time scanning VIN’s through Ram’s system using my contacts and I can tell you for-certain that not all of the trucks that fail have the RSU flag. There have been quite a number of confirmed K1 failures in trucks that, when their VIN’s were scanned, did not generate a red flag.

In terms of the preemptive repair, it has always been dependent upon a confirmed red flag in the system. If the truck gets flagged for RSU 23-065, the dealer is then able to order the repair kits (same as what’s used for a truck that has failed) and then initiate the same repair procedure as outline in TSB 21-002-23. Only difference being the snap ring didn’t pop out yet.

As far as trim level having any bearing on the failures, I can guarantee you that, based on my last 8 months of research, the trim level has absolutely nothing to do with the failure. The issue at the center of the failure is the snap ring, and it’s purely a luck of the draw when the transmissions are allocated to each truck for assembly.
Well hell. Cross my fingers it is! LoL dang it man!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Should all of us that own these trucks just except the fact that it’s not a matter of if, but a matter of when?
I wish I knew. Without a definitive from Ram “yes you do” or “no you don’t” have the bad snap ring in your transmission, this is all educated guesswork. It’s the primary reason why I keep logging the failures and collecting data. There’s been an uptick in higher mileage failures lately. In the 10k-20k range whereas previously they were all 5k or lower. Can’t say for sure if that’s just random luck or if it’s a trend at this point. My own 2022 Aisin has almost 35k on it right now and has been fine. I’m hoping that continues.

Remember that everything I’m sharing is based on what data I have collected. There’s been pure silence on this issue outside of the owner groups. Ram hasn’t done anything proactive outside of the RSU as far as I know, and from the documents I’ve read, it looks to me like the RSU was primarily targeted at unsold trucks, not currently owned trucks. If I’m wrong on that, I’d welcome someone with knowledge to correct me.

FLHTKJimmy

Reaction score
I’m a big believer that we all get too much crap when we stumble, and not enough recognition when we exceed expectations. It is in that spirit that I’d like to acknowledge Ram Care, and those who led me to the happy ending that now closes this story…

It was just over a month ago that I was added to the list of AISIN transmission failures. To say the least, I was disappointed and angry. As much in the response I got from Ram Care, as I was the transmission itself. What a difference a month makes! What a difference in the new 2023 transmission I received!

I’m happy to report that I got my truck back about 3 weeks ago. I immediately hitched up to our 5th wheel in North Carolina, and pulled it to our home in the Texas Hill Country. It was perfect. I drive it daily, and it is now noticeably better than original. For those who don’t know, beyond the “K1” failure correction, Ram made several improvements/enhancements to the ’23 AISIN. It is much more smooth!

If you use your Ram to pull a 5th wheel, you might enjoy following “Our Road Less Traveled” on YouTube/Facebook. I mention them because this forum led me to them. They experienced the same failure. Ultimately, Clay responded directly to me by phone. His help and info led me to Mike MacDonald - Executive Referrals Manager with Stellantis. Mike’s efforts, at the very least, let me know that someone at Ram actually cares… First, he helped to expedite the shipment of the new transmission. Second, he assured me that every dollar of my near $4300 in trip interruption expenses would be reimbursed (I just received the check). Then, he went above and beyond to comp us a Maximum Care (125K/8 year) Warranty (worth $9K)! In contrast to the warranty, it may seem less significant, that Mike has sent me 2 personal emails in an effort to make sure I’m happy, and the truck is performing well. But I truly appreciate that!

I’d also like to acknowledge Don Mele, Service Manager at Boone CJDR. He had my truck on the lift 10 minutes after the transmission was received, and I was driving it 24 hours later.

I’m not saying everyone will have this kind of experience. It took some effort to pursue this, and get this result. But I now have an answer to my initial question. YES! Somebody at Ram Care does care!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m a big believer that we all get too much crap when we stumble, and not enough recognition when we exceed expectations. It is in that spirit that I’d like to acknowledge Ram Care, and those who led me to the happy ending that now closes this story…

It was just over a month ago that I was added to the list of AISIN transmission failures. To say the least, I was disappointed and angry. As much in the response I got from Ram Care, as I was the transmission itself. What a difference a month makes! What a difference in the new 2023 transmission I received!

I’m happy to report that I got my truck back about 3 weeks ago. I immediately hitched up to our 5th wheel in North Carolina, and pulled it to our home in the Texas Hill Country. It was perfect. I drive it daily, and it is now noticeably better than original. For those who don’t know, beyond the “K1” failure correction, Ram made several improvements/enhancements to the ’23 AISIN. It is much more smooth!

If you use your Ram to pull a 5th wheel, you might enjoy following “Our Road Less Traveled” on YouTube/Facebook. I mention them because this forum led me to them. They experienced the same failure. Ultimately, Clay responded directly to me by phone. His help and info led me to Mike MacDonald - Executive Referrals Manager with Stellantis. Mike’s efforts, at the very least, let me know that someone at Ram actually cares… First, he helped to expedite the shipment of the new transmission. Second, he assured me that every dollar of my near $4300 in trip interruption expenses would be reimbursed (I just received the check). Then, he went above and beyond to comp us a Maximum Care (125K/8 year) Warranty (worth $9K)! In contrast to the warranty, it may seem less significant, that Mike has sent me 2 personal emails in an effort to make sure I’m happy, and the truck is performing well. But I truly appreciate that!

I’d also like to acknowledge Don Mele, Service Manager at Boone CJDR. He had my truck on the lift 10 minutes after the transmission was received, and I was driving it 24 hours later.

I’m not saying everyone will have this kind of experience. It took some effort to pursue this, and get this result. But I now have an answer to my initial question. YES! Somebody at Ram Care does care!
Happy to hear you had a positive experience and got your truck back. Could you give me your trucks date of manufacture and the date it was returned to you so that I could update your info on the tracking spreadsheet? Thanks!

FLHTKJimmy

Reaction score
Happy to hear you had a positive experience and got your truck back. Could you give me your trucks date of manufacture and the date it was returned to you so that I could update your info on the tracking spreadsheet? Thanks!
Build date: 7/22 Repaired and returned to me 8/11/23 Is that what you need?

BilletWilson

Reaction score

I 100% agree! My 23 is the 3rd Aisin I've owned and it's by far the smoothest. I daily mine as well and the change in character really adds to the drivability.

Adam06

Reaction score
I called my dealer today to schedule my first oil change and he said there was three recalls on my truck one was the snap ring for the transmission. He said it doesn’t mean it needs it. He said they inspect the tag on the transmission and it would indicate if it would need the kit. The sad part is they are 2 months out on schedule.☹️

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I called my dealer today to schedule my first oil change and he said there was three recalls on my truck one was the snap ring for the transmission. He said it doesn’t mean it needs it. He said they inspect the tag on the transmission and it would indicate if it would need the kit. The sad part is they are 2 months out on schedule.☹️
There is no recall for the K1 snap ring failure.
There is, however, a Rapid Service Update or “RSU”. That is likely what he is referring to. It would be RSU # 23-065.
As far as my understanding of that RSU goes, there is no inspection necessary. If your truck is flagged in the system then your truck has already been identified as being affected and the preemptive repair should be conducted immediately. If I am in error on this, I would welcome any input / correction from someone in-the-knowIMG_2588.jpeg

Adam06

Reaction score
There is no recall for the K1 snap ring failure.
There is, however, a Rapid Service Update or “RSU”. That is likely what he is referring to. It would be RSU # 23-065.
As far as my understanding of that RSU goes, there is no inspection necessary. If your truck is flagged in the system then your truck has already been identified as being affected and the preemptive repair should be conducted immediately. If I am in error on this, I would welcome any input / correction from someone in-the-knowView attachment 62189
Yes that is what it is, so you’re saying it needs to be repaired? Do you know the average time it takes for the repair?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that is what it is, so you’re saying it needs to be repaired? Do you know the average time it takes for the repair?
I just confirmed with a friend who is a very experienced Ram tech. He has repaired a dozen or more of these K1 failures with 100% success rate. There is no tag that needs to be checked. If the truck is flagged for RSU 23-065 in the DealerCONNECT system, the RSU must be completed. They should get the parts on order, get them headed your way, and then schedule your truck in for the repair when the parts arrive. If the parts are all there and everything is in place, they should have your truck back to you in two or three days max. Total book time on the TSB is around 7 hours and thats with all the optional extras included. Where are you located? (Roughly)

Adam06

Reaction score
I just confirmed with a friend who is a very experienced Ram tech. He has repaired a dozen or more of these K1 failures with 100% success rate. There is no tag that needs to be checked. If the truck is flagged for RSU 23-065 in the DealerCONNECT system, the RSU must be completed. They should get the parts on order, get them headed your way, and then schedule your truck in for the repair when the parts arrive. If the parts are all there and everything is in place, they should have your truck back to you in two or three days max. Total book time on the TSB is around 7 hours and thats with all the optional extras included. Where are you located? (Roughly)
I am located in santafe nm, I will call them again tomorrow, I don’t want to be driving it or pulling my 5th wheel and it breaks down. Again to have to wait about two months to even get it in is crazy. I might be looking at taking it to a different dealer. Thanks for your input and help.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I am located in santafe nm, I will call them again tomorrow, I don’t want to be driving it or pulling my 5th wheel and it breaks down. Again to have to wait about two months to even get it in is crazy. I might be looking at taking it to a different dealer. Thanks for your input and help.
I would recommend finding another dealership. Not trying to bash anyone, but doesn’t sound like they were all that familiar to start with if they’re telling you they have to inspect the tag on the transmission to see if it needs a snap ring.

Although I do wonder, since you mentioned you had other recalls, if they were confusing the RSU for the transmission with the Y43 emissions recall. The Y43 recall would be applicable to your truck and it does indeed require them to visually inspect your truck prior to completing the recall. That would explain the “visual inspection” statement. Just not for the correct repair.

joace

Reaction score

Glad you had a such positive experience, at least what RAM did really mitigated the bad impact from the failure. But I would like to see more proactive actions from them on sold trucks with Aisin transmission. I believe they must have more insights on this issue and the raw data (maybe just a brief range) of impacted build date, but what they're doing now is really a gambling, especially from the point of view of minimizing their recovery cost (part, labor, reimbursement etc). Firstly take care of the unsold trucks to avoid sales backlog, then keep improving the services on failed ones to maintain the owners' satisfaction. But for sold trucks still running on the road without failure, just let them cross the finger. I don't know how many 22 or 23 Aisin truck with K1 snap ring issue sold, but I believe they must calculate the potential cost burst (replacement part order, service appointment backlog), and decided to hold on a recall on all sold trucks. Business is business!!!

sstoner911

Reaction score
The TSB lists 2023 model year - however it seems this is more of a 2022 issue or 2023 as well?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The TSB lists 2023 model year - however it seems this is more of a 2022 issue or 2023 as well?
Small number of 2023’s purported to have the K1 failure. I know of one confirmed 2023 but the truck was manufactured December 2022 and had a December 2022 manufactured Aisin under it.

Users who are viewing this thread