Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

rauan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Did anyone figure out where and how camera can be ordered?

I am on a camping trip and hate my furrion wireless camera kit. I would love to have my rear view display behind my trailer.

rauan

Reaction score
This is the latest from the Dealer...
OK so I just got off the phone with Chrysler and this is what I got. The single plug on the side is for the rear view camera but they do not offer a kit for it as of now and may never
I did get the part# for the factory kit used in its place. but I can not guarantee it will work. but personally think it will.
So the camera 68526533AA is not out yet so no price. The wiring is 68525798AA list is 259.00. 5 days out.

wiring for $260. The source Patriot Motor Source used was only $60.

From the standpoint of not having a plug/wire protruding right at the license plate, which is somewhat of a step into my camper - It's feeling like following Patriot Motor Sources project and removing the camera from the brake light, get a length of wire and mount that camera to the back of the camper. Just need a mount/box for the camera assembly.

By the way, wiring is on discounts now. $185

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rauan

Reaction score
Oh my god, I just realized that I don’t need to buy mopar wiring and do it myself with rg174+fakra connectors. I just need to find out what exact fakra connectors I need. That should not be super difficult since I have another side of the connection on my truck’s back.
The question is do I really need Mopar camera or any good quality camera will work with my digital rearview mirror?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Oh my god, I just realized that I don’t need to buy mopar wiring and do it myself with rg174+fakra connectors. I just need to find out what exact fakra connectors I need. That should not be super difficult since I have another side of the connection on my truck’s back.
The question is do I really need Mopar camera or any good quality camera will work with my digital rearview mirror?

The mopar camera is the only camera that the digital rear view mirror can display.

rauan

Reaction score
The mopar camera is the only camera that the digital rear view mirror can display.

I guess I can use either of these two cameras: the one which is currently connected to digital rearview mirror (68448640AA) and the new from trailer tow camera kit, right?

I was wondering if I can buy used third brake light with digital camera and install it in the back of my trailer using rg174 cable with fakra connector.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I guess I can use either of these two cameras: the one which is currently connected to digital rearview mirror (68448640AA) and the new from trailer tow camera kit, right?

I was wondering if I can buy used third brake light with digital camera and install it in the back of my trailer using rg174 cable with fakra connector.

You can do that. The camera in the CHMSL and the tow mode camera are the same part.

rauan

Reaction score

Jimmy07

Reaction score

rauan

Reaction score
Yes, that’ll be the same camera that is inside the plastic housing of the tow mode camera kit.

Thank you so much! It is so difficult to find this information.

rauan

Reaction score
I have a few more questions just to clarify I got things right.

Is there any difference between rg174 and 316 cables for this camera?

Should I order a coax cable and separate fakra connectors or there is already 40-50 ft long cables with connections available?

tombell

Reaction score
thanks for the camera and wiring part numbers and the heads up on the current discounts.
Wiring at $170 seems so expensive - wonder what the length is. Might be more economical to order from https://www.pasternack.com/

I'm still stumped at mounting the camera. How are you going to mount?

rauan

Reaction score
thanks for the camera and wiring part numbers and the heads up on the current discounts.
Wiring at $170 seems so expensive - wonder what the length is. Might be more economical to order from https://www.pasternack.com/

I'm still stumped at mounting the camera. How are you going to mount?

I wouldn’t mind to order from pasternack site, but I didn’t know exact connections on each end and not sure if they can make 40-50 ft length wiring.

I didn’t get to mounting stage yet.

tombell

Reaction score
50 feet of wiring from Pasternack would be $200 - mopar is cheaper - assuming their wiring is 50 feet.
Pasternack has pretty good pictures of their connectors:
https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-pl...able-assembly-pe38756b-p.aspx?CustomLength=96

I'm only running the wire to the back of a camper in my truck bed so I don't need too long of wire - need to figure out approx how much.
Hopefully mopar can tell me what length their wiring is and then I can make some good comparisons.

Keep me/us posted on your progress and I'll do the same.

rauan

Reaction score
50 feet of wiring from Pasternack would be $200 - mopar is cheaper - assuming their wiring is 50 feet.
Pasternack has pretty good pictures of their connectors:
https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-pl...able-assembly-pe38756b-p.aspx?CustomLength=96

I'm only running the wire to the back of a camper in my truck bed so I don't need too long of wire - need to figure out approx how much.
Hopefully mopar can tell me what length their wiring is and then I can make some good comparisons.

Keep me/us posted on your progress and I'll do the same.
My trailer is 30 ft long, I thought I need at least 40 ft assuming it won't be straight line from back of the truck to trailer camera mount location. If price is comparable I would buy original part just in case.

sstoner911

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I am really liking the digital trailer camera. When in Reverse the camera will automatically lower slightly.

I have the camera mounted just above the rear bumper on the body of the travel trailer which is a perfect view.

Is there any way to disable the camera from tilting down in reverse?

The attached picture is in when viewing the camera in Drive...

Attachments

• 20220106_143735.jpg
    20220106_143735.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 53

OfficerDirtySanchez

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I am really liking the digital trailer camera. When in Reverse the camera will automatically lower slightly.

I have the camera mounted just above the rear bumper on the body of the travel trailer which is a perfect view.

If you have a chance, I’d love to see a picture when it’s tilted down in reverse. To get a sense of how much it changes the perspective.

sstoner911

Reaction score
If you have a chance, I’d love to see a picture when it’s tilted down in reverse. To get a sense of how much it changes the perspective.
It's enough to be noticable that you lose some of the field of view for sure. If it was mounted higher probably not an issue. The instructions state you can mount it on the bumper of the trailer...perhaps there is a setting on the settings of the mirror but I haven't found it yet. I can see if I can get some other pictures in reverse.

tombell

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

Where did you get the camera? Remove from the break light assembly and repurpose? Or from mopar? Regardless - Would love to see how it's mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread