Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Fix TSB (Pre 8/20 build trucks)

Riddick

Reaction score
Another option is to bypass the heater core, I think there is a thread on here somewhere explaining it. All you need is a ball valve, 3 hose clamps, and a few inches of heater hose. I purchased the Muzzys A/C hack off Amazon and installed it last night. Took about 15 minutes to install and minimal coolant was lost, I was able to catch the majority of it in a plastic container. I have not driven the truck yet but I will post my results later this week when I drive it.

John Jensen

Reaction score
When I blocked mine that kit was not available. I bought a 5/8" ball valve & had the clamps. Didn't need the hose in the mentioned kit. The hose is a tight fit on a 5/8 barb, but it works.

There's no harm in blocking it off.
Blocking redirects all the coolant through the engine and EGR cooler.

When I block the hose the AC temp goes down considerably
For example, the coldest vent went from 58 down to 42.
The penalty is you have no control of the temp.
You can only adjust the temp with the ball valve position.
Heater Hose Ball Valve.jpg

DocTAZ

Reaction score
Update- had TSB done back in April- cooler but very poor airflow. Just 2 days ago I replace my “cabin air filter” and WOW what a difference. Like a new truck or AC unit completely. Clearly had never been changed in 40k miles.
Here’s the part I used from Autozone for $22

Hope this is helpful.
Just YouTube the replacement video- very simple.

Attachments

• 65689B0D-BB6C-434C-9ADA-A8CC9346A327.jpeg
    65689B0D-BB6C-434C-9ADA-A8CC9346A327.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 12

Lift89

Reaction score
When I blocked mine that kit was not available. I bought a 5/8" ball valve & had the clamps. Didn't need the hose in the mentioned kit. The hose is a tight fit on a 5/8 barb, but it works.

There's no harm in blocking it off.
Blocking redirects all the coolant through the engine and EGR cooler.

When I block the hose the AC temp goes down considerably
For example, the coldest vent went from 58 down to 42.
The penalty is you have no control of the temp.
You can only adjust the temp with the ball valve position.
View attachment 40002

Keep it half cracked and you’ll have some control over temp yet still have colder temps since you’re reducing flow by 50%+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Keep it half cracked and you’ll have some control over temp yet still have colder temps since you’re reducing flow by 50%+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did say, "You can only adjust the temp with the ball valve position."

Riddick

Reaction score
Heater core bypass definitely works. I drove the truck 4 hours yesterday and it was 90 outside. A/C was definitely colder than it's ever been before. Unfortunately I don't have a IR gun to check actual temps but without a doubt it's colder.

I did notice I had a tiny bit of coolant on the bottom of the valve but I think it's my fault . The clamp was not all the way tight and I had it clamped closer to the center of the valve rather than on the end. I'll monitor it but I think it's good. It was barely leaking, so little I did not have to top off coolant.

If you are considering this mod, DO IT!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_184401687.jpg
    IMG_20220625_184401687.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 30

Smith23lance

Reaction score
I dropped mine at the dealership this morning, and I can already tell I’m going to be up for a fight to have the TSB taken care of. Although my truck falls into the referenced vehicle model and year.

Below have been my symptoms:
- Truck takes 30+ minutes to be remotely cool on a 90 degree day
- Driver side vent is blow 65 at coldest while my wife’s grand Cherokee is blowing 42.
- Blender door comes open on the highway and I have to turn A/C off then back on to fix it
- Truck only gets remotely cold after doing 45min+ of highway driving
- I have to close two vents to get the A/C to blow hard enough.

This truck has been a complete nightmare and I hope Ram takes care of the issue.
@RamCares any assistance with pushing this along at the dealership? I’m well within my warranty.

I took it before the TSB was official twice. They recharged it once and replaced the A/C compressor once. (July 2020) TSB was announced 4 months later

Smith23lance

Reaction score
So, has anyone been successful with dealership repairs under warranty?
Mine is there right now. I’ve got 29,000 miles and still under the 3yr/36k basic warranty. However, I have a feeling they might try to push not completing the work because it’s 105 here in Texas.

Smith23lance

Reaction score
Update: I dropped my 2019 Ram Monday morning and was approved today Tuesday afternoon for the full TSB replacement. Dealer mentioned the parts will be in tomorrow and the repair will likely be done Thursday 6/30. If done, that is a (4) day turnaround.

Before taking the vehicle I had the clamp on the hose that provided temporary relief. I’ll update again once I have the vehicle.

Smith23lance

Reaction score
I wanted to provide an update. I dropped my vehicle off Monday June 27th at 9:15am. Dealer ordered all of the TSB parts on Tuesday June 28th after running a quick diagnostic. All parts, oil change and tire rotation were completed by Thursday June 30th by 10am. For those wondering about the turnaround it was extremely fast from my experience. Once I pick the vehicle up today, I will provide an update one repair quality, A/C functionality and final opinions.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I dropped mine at the dealership this morning, and I can already tell I’m going to be up for a fight to have the TSB taken care of. Although my truck falls into the referenced vehicle model and year.

Below have been my symptoms:
- Truck takes 30+ minutes to be remotely cool on a 90 degree day
- Driver side vent is blow 65 at coldest while my wife’s grand Cherokee is blowing 42.
- Blender door comes open on the highway and I have to turn A/C off then back on to fix it
- Truck only gets remotely cold after doing 45min+ of highway driving
- I have to close two vents to get the A/C to blow hard enough.

This truck has been a complete nightmare and I hope Ram takes care of the issue.
@RamCares any assistance with pushing this along at the dealership? I’m well within my warranty.

I took it before the TSB was official twice. They recharged it once and replaced the A/C compressor once. (July 2020) TSB was announced 4 months later
Hey Smith23lance,

We'd love to look into this for you! Please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Smith23lance

Reaction score
Post TSV update:

I picked my truck up yesterday in Fort Worth, Tx it was about 102 degrees outside. The blower seemed to have about the same pressure as before. However, I could notice the truck cooling down much faster than before.

Pre TSB repair, I got the lowest temp of 58 degrees on an 85 degree morning. Today, I was able to get 46 degrees on an 85 degree morning out of the same vent.

My dash was out back together right and haven’t noticed any scratches or issues. After driving this morning to the gym (3-4miles) for the first time since I bought this truck, I had to turn the air down below half way because it was a meat freezer.

If you’re hesitating to get the TSB, If you have a good dealership it’s well worth it. I did the hose hack before and was able to get the temp down to 53/54 but I’ll take 46 degrees anyday.

flan

Reaction score
Post TSV update:

I picked my truck up yesterday in Fort Worth, Tx it was about 102 degrees outside. The blower seemed to have about the same pressure as before. However, I could notice the truck cooling down much faster than before.

Pre TSB repair, I got the lowest temp of 58 degrees on an 85 degree morning. Today, I was able to get 46 degrees on an 85 degree morning out of the same vent.

My dash was out back together right and haven’t noticed any scratches or issues. After driving this morning to the gym (3-4miles) for the first time since I bought this truck, I had to turn the air down below half way because it was a meat freezer.

If you’re hesitating to get the TSB, If you have a good dealership it’s well worth it. I did the hose hack before and was able to get the temp down to 53/54 but I’ll take 46 degrees anyday.
My truck puts out mid 50s temps, I should really get this done.

Smith23lance

Reaction score
My truck puts out mid 50s temps, I should really get this done.
If you’re still within your warranty I would definitely suggest getting it done. I’ve hated my ram every single Texas summer. I actually enjoy driving it again now that it’s fixed. I wish the blower was stronger but I’ll take the ice cold air.

flan

Reaction score
If you’re still within your warranty I would definitely suggest getting it done. I’ve hated my ram every single Texas summer. I actually enjoy driving it again now that it’s fixed. I wish the blower was stronger but I’ll take the ice cold air.
Yea the 3/36 goes out the window July 31st. I sent @RamCares a message. Thanks for the post. What trim level do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread