Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

R. Yates

Reaction score
I did exactly that. Emailed my service manager and the result is below. The email included pictures of each filter as well as the STAR tip. The end result was a no questions asked refund. However they also did not provide any insight. See the email below. I redacted any personally identifiable information.
Thanks for that. It seems like the problem has more to do with the computer. The truck shouldn't be that sensitive to the air filters. The one I just put in is the 68517554AA.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It seems like the problem has more to do with the computer. The truck shouldn't be that sensitive to the air filters. The one I just put in is the 68517554AA.
Be cautious with that filter if your truck is a 2019+ diesel. There are a multitude of reports where user’s experienced a noticeable reduction in truck response under load, some underboost codes and / or had more frequent active regeneration cycles. 53034051AB is the correct filter, or it’s Fleetguard equivalent AF27684

There have been numerous posts where users have experienced a number of problems with anything involving the intake air side of the truck. Aftermarket air boxes, low quality / inferior air filters, etc. These trucks absolutely are sensitive to intake air and air flow.

R. Yates

Reaction score
Well as luck would have it I just got a particulate filter full message. About 4 trips after putting the AA air filter in. Just today I had them do the tranny recall work and to figure out my clogged particulate filter and air filter problems. They said that they tried a regen but it is too clogged and I need a new filter. $3500. They are covering it under warranty but still...part won't be in for a week. I was told I have to watch the particulate filter gauge and drive on the highway 50-100 miles to get it to regenerate before it gets too clogged. I'm ready to go back to a gas engine.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well as luck would have it I just got a particulate filter full message. About 4 trips after putting the AA air filter in. Just today I had them do the tranny recall work and to figure out my clogged particulate filter and air filter problems. They said that they tried a regen but it is too clogged and I need a new filter. $3500. They are covering it under warranty but still...part won't be in for a week. I was told I have to watch the particulate filter gauge and drive on the highway 50-100 miles to get it to regenerate before it gets too clogged. I'm ready to go back to a gas engine.
You need a new dealer. Plenty wrong with what you’re saying.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The air filter is probably part of the issue but not all of it. There are a lot of things that need to be checked out if you’re getting that message all of a sudden.

R. Yates

Reaction score
The air filter is probably part of the issue but not all of it. There are a lot of things that need to be checked out if you’re getting that message all of a sudden.
I definitely do short trips mostly but I don't drive it that much. I may go 2 weeks without driving it at all. I'm thinking the dealer had it idling a whole bunch when they did the Cp3 pump replacement. Still there should be some warning that the filter is getting full and a regen is needed. It was completely clogged by the time I got the message.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I definitely do short trips mostly but I don't drive it that much. I may go 2 weeks without driving it at all. I'm thinking the dealer had it idling a whole bunch when they did the Cp3 pump replacement. Still there should be some warning that the filter is getting full and a regen is needed. It was completely clogged by the time I got the message.
It would take quite a bit to completely fill the DPF unless you had a major issue on the engine side. Repeated short-tripping could interrupt the scheduled active regeneration cycles or not allow them to finish completely. I highly doubt whatever idle time was on it for the CP3 swap had anything to do with it. My guess would be either continued short tripping without allow the active regeneration cycles to finish, a malfunction in one of the pressure sensors or the controller, or possibly some other issue on the engine side causing the truck to run inefficiently (injectors, air filter, egr, etc)

R. Yates

Reaction score
I guess they will have to figure it out. All I know is I absolutely no problems with filters or anything else until they replaced the pump. I had a bad feeling about them ripping into it. I've only got 17k miles on it. I'm going to be watching that particulate gauge like a hawk after this.

Highcountry

Reaction score
When I first saw this post I had just installed an AA sent as part of a package listed for my truck from Diesel Filters online. I was pretty sure it was a non-issue, and still think it's probably ok. But I did just order an AB. I figure I may as well get the preferred one in there now that I know

R. Yates

Reaction score
Yes it seems like mbarber84 knows what he's talking about. My dealer clearly doesn't have a clue. Today they're telling me the AA is the one I need. Yesterday they said it was the wrong one. And it turns out, I never had an aftermarket filter in the first place...so frustrating

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
Be cautious with that filter if your truck is a 2019+ diesel. There are a multitude of reports where user’s experienced a noticeable reduction in truck response under load, some underboost codes and / or had more frequent active regeneration cycles. 53034051AB is the correct filter, or it’s Fleetguard equivalent AF27684

There have been numerous posts where users have experienced a number of problems with anything involving the intake air side of the truck. Aftermarket air boxes, low quality / inferior air filters, etc. These trucks absolutely are sensitive to intake air and air flow.
Good info here Thx! Wanted to check in on a 2021 RAM 2500 Cummins and what people are using for air filter changes. I have look threw several forums and it is not a popular topic to say the least. I assume everyone is going to the stealership and using the factory replacement? That's definitely not my first choice.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Good info here Thx! Wanted to check in on a 2021 RAM 2500 Cummins and what people are using for air filter changes. I have look threw several forums and it is not a popular topic to say the least. I assume everyone is going to the stealership and using the factory replacement? That's definitely not my first choice.
Mopar 53034051AB

Or

Fleetguard AF27684

Only two options I would recommend for a stock air box on a 2019+ Cummins. They are identical to each other. You can usually source the fleetguard cheaper as it doesn’t include mopar markup.

flan

Reaction score
There’s other options than the dealer for oem parts, genos garage and dozens of oem online parts resellers are around. I personally stay clear of eBay and Amazon for filters, way too many counterfeit that cause issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s other options than the dealer for oem parts, genos garage and dozens of oem online parts resellers are around. I personally stay clear of eBay and Amazon for filters, way too many counterfeit that cause issues.
This.

Genos Garage is very trustworthy and easy to work with.

You can also get the fleetguard from most of your local Cummins engine shops.

I would absolutely avoid Amazon as there have been a ton of counterfeit ones being shipped out lately. They show you a picture of a Fleetguard filter in the description and even the same real part number, but when it arrives, it’s marked as a “Fleelguard”….and no that’s not a typo……

This is true of oil, air, and fuel filters for our trucks. Buy from a trusted, legitimate purveyor otherwise you’re asking for trouble.

R. Yates

Reaction score
I might be a victim of a counterfeit air filter I guess. My problem is still unresolved so I can't say. (they've had my truck for 5 weeks waiting for a DPF) I currently have the AA filter in the truck that I got from Amazon. (engine light stayed on) Dealer says the filter can't have glue strips, and the last I heard from them, there is a new version of the AA without glue strips. Of course they didn't have any. I've been complaining about all this to RamCares recently and they have told me that the dealer now has the air filter that I need...we'll see. They are supposed to get the DPF today, not holding my breath...heard if before.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be a victim of a counterfeit air filter I guess. My problem is still unresolved so I can't say. (they've had my truck for 5 weeks waiting for a DPF) I currently have the AA filter in the truck that I got from Amazon. (engine light stayed on) Dealer says the filter can't have glue strips, and the last I heard from them, there is a new version of the AA without glue strips. Of course they didn't have any. I've been complaining about all this to RamCares recently and they have told me that the dealer now has the air filter that I need...we'll see. They are supposed to get the DPF today, not holding my breath...heard if before.
Were they able to diagnose the issue?
DPF’s themselves almost never fail.
Usually it’s either a sensor issue on the emissions side, or one or more of a multitude of issues on the engine side that cause the DPF to fill up. Not trying to sound critical, but typically when I hear about people getting DPF’s replaced under warranty, that usually makes me cringe because more often than not there’s one or more underlying issues with the truck. Some of these shops tend to go toward DPF replacement as a fix when that’s usually not where the problem lies.

R. Yates

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. I guess time will tell. Either way, I guess it can get so clogged that it can't be cleared? I don't know. I will for sure be closely watching the DPF gauge when I get the truck back, thanks.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. I guess time will tell. Either way, I guess it can get so clogged that it can't be cleared? I don't know. I will for sure be closely watching the DPF gauge when I get the truck back, thanks.
Yeah they can get clogged up for sure, but there’s usually a whole bunch of tests that can be done prior to determining it’s full. And the fact that it’s full isn’t the sole issue. It should be regenerating to keep itself cleaned out. There would have been a whole litany of codes and signs prior to reaching the full point. I would definitely monitor.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah they can get clogged up for sure, but there’s usually a whole bunch of tests that can be done prior to determining it’s full. And the fact that it’s full isn’t the sole issue. It should be regenerating to keep itself cleaned out. There would have been a whole litany of codes and signs prior to reaching the full point. I would definitely monitor.
It may not be full either usually when they are truly full the vehicle tends to run extremely rough and act like its choked out

R. Yates

Reaction score
I'm AM guilty of short trips. Some as little as 4 mi. I really don't think I took that many though. I don't drive it unless my wife's car isn't available. 95% of the miles are highway, towing my trailer. How do you know if it's doing a regen? Maybe it hasn't been even attempting them. I bought one of those OBDLink modules to do manual regens in the future. I'm tempted to get the truck and try it. I just don't want to get stuck in limp mode.

Users who are viewing this thread