Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can shed some light on this issue. I’m being given conflicting information regarding the engine air filters for these trucks.

My dealer parts counter, as well as the service techs are telling me that engine air filter # 68517554AA is the correct engine filter for my 2022 3500 HO. I had them conduct a VIN specific parts search and send me a screen shot just to be sure. (See the attached picture) This information coincides with what we have listed in this forum as well as multiple other sources to include the folks at Mark Dodge, whom I spoke to over the phone.

Yet I’ve have seen a “Tech Tip” from the Mopar / Chrysler STARPARTS being shared online which claims the exact opposite. (See attached picture) It states that the 6851755AA filter is for 2018 and older Cummins trucks, and the filter recommended for 2019 and newer trucks is # 53034051AB.

I’m struggling to understand how documentation directly from the manufacturer can be so conflicted? I’ve been wondering if someone here can shed some light on what’s causing such a discrepancy. I am currently running the 6851755AA as recommended by my dealers service department, 1200 miles on the filter thus far with zero issues. Yet I see people complaining that this filter is causing their truck to perform poorly. Many times the “glue strips” are referenced as being the issue. Again, I don’t understand how my truck could be running fine with this filter in place, yet other owners are experiencing significant issues. Again….another discrepancy.
91111084-42C7-4ED5-A38A-95E2385F927D.jpeg
ED5FAA75-420A-4DCF-BC0E-53D530010148.jpeg
Please see the attached pictures for explanation
(I did attempt a search for this but did not find conclusive information or explanation of the discrepancy between the STAR parts filter recommendations)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
68517554AA is listed for all MY22 6.7’s.

53034051AB is listed for 07-21 6.7’s.

68517554AA is the new filter and replacing the 53034051AB. Last time I ordered 53034051AB the 68517554AA showed up in its place.

I suspect the star parts page is incorrect, but have no proof other than the service catalogs do not reflect that change.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
68517554AA is listed for all MY22 6.7’s.

53034051AB is listed for 07-21 6.7’s.

68517554AA is the new filter and replacing the 53034051AB. Last time I ordered 53034051AB the 68517554AA showed up in its place.

I suspect the star parts page is incorrect, but have no proof other than the service catalogs do not reflect that change.
Are you currently running the 68517554AA filter with no issues?

What you said concurs with all the information I am being given from my sources within the dealer network.
I just found it odd that this screen shot from the STAR page is circling around with information that is exactly opposite.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
For more fun this 68517554AA listing from a mopar store has a photo of the 53034051AB

I’m still on the OE filter and haven’t inspected it to see what it is.
I suspect when you pull that OE filter, it will be the previous "5303". When i performed the first service on my truck, I remember commenting to myself that the OE filter and the Napa Gold 6930 I replaced it with looked identical.
On this last service, I bought another Napa 6930 and when I went to install it, they had changed the design completely. I returned it specifically because I was concerned the design change may potentially trigger a low boost code, or cause an increase in the frequency of regeneration (possibly another code). You can see the difference between the old 6930 (left) and the new one (right). I returned the napa filter and drove to my dealer to get an OEM one. Figured that was the safest way to avoid an issue. They handed me the 6851755AA filter (which looked very similar to the redesigned Napa 6930). I installed it and have had no issues to date.image0 (1).jpegimage1.jpegimage0 (2).jpegimage1 (1).jpeg

flan

Reaction score
I’ve been towing with the white one with the glue strips with no issues.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the guys at Geno`s garage. They`ve been in this business for a long time and have always been a source for good information and parts. Here is how it was explained to me:

They received the same "tech tip" from Mopar that I posted above. They have been attempting to inquire about the part number issue as well. In their own words, "they've gone as high up the chain as they can go in the Mopar parts network" trying to get some clarity with this issue and have come up empty handed. It seems they do not even know who issued this tip. The one thing that they found unique compared to previous guidance from corporate is that the note uses the phrase "please use" rather than something more concrete like "must use". Their takeaway is that this part number back and forth stems from a parts supply chain issue. The only difference they have noted between the two filters, aside from the glue strips, is that the "yellow AB" filter has a slightly oiled filter media, whereas the "AA" filter is dry.

So my take away here is...... nobody knows anything concrete.

The "AB" filter seems to be on backorder. Dealers are issuing the "AA" filter in its place, as that is what comes up for a 22 model year truck in the starparts program.

Unbelievable there is this level of confusion for an air filter. I think this mix of information is also leading to inaccurate diagnosis of other truck related issues, especially when owners are switching from one filter to the other and then experiencing check engine lights and codes.....

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been towing with the white one with the glue strips with no issues.
Same here. 1,200 miles with the "AA" one (white with glue strips) and zero issues.

It would be interesting to have someone with a newly delivered 2023 CTD truck open their airbox and see which filter is stuffed in there. My guess would be the "AB" filter. Maybe Ram is hoarding whatever inventory they have for the new trucks?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@RamCares can you look into this?

There seems to be conflicting information being distributed out to your dealers regarding the engine air filters for 2019 and up HD trucks with the cummins engine.

Could you please provide us with clarity as to which air filter is used for our trucks? Thank you!

I placed a call into my dealer this morning and have not heard back.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I just went through trying to figure this out 4 days ago when it came time to order a new air filter for my 2021 3500. I ordered a 53034051AB filter from an online Mopar site (site included a picture of the yellowish filter with no glue strips). What I received today in the mail was the 68517554AA filter. I guess my truck gets the AA filter. Hope she likes it :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the guys at Geno`s garage. They`ve been in this business for a long time and have always been a source for good information and parts. Here is how it was explained to me:

They received the same "tech tip" from Mopar that I posted above. They have been attempting to inquire about the part number issue as well. In their own words, "they've gone as high up the chain as they can go in the Mopar parts network" trying to get some clarity with this issue and have come up empty handed. It seems they do not even know who issued this tip. The one thing that they found unique compared to previous guidance from corporate is that the note uses the phrase "please use" rather than something more concrete like "must use". Their takeaway is that this part number back and forth stems from a parts supply chain issue. The only difference they have noted between the two filters, aside from the glue strips, is that the "yellow AB" filter has a slightly oiled filter media, whereas the "AA" filter is dry.

So my take away here is...... nobody knows anything concrete.

The "AB" filter seems to be on backorder. Dealers are issuing the "AA" filter in its place, as that is what comes up for a 22 model year truck in the starparts program.

Unbelievable there is this level of confusion for an air filter. I think this mix of information is also leading to inaccurate diagnosis of other truck related issues, especially when owners are switching from one filter to the other and then experiencing check engine lights and codes.....

The 53034051AB filter has:
46 yellowish pleats​
Thicker Orange seal @ .432"​
"Made in the USA"​
Some airflow specs printed on the side but it's garbage print and impossible to read. (800 CFM?)​
(for ref, the "compatible" Wix 49946 Air Filter is shown as having 650CFM)​
RockAuto lists this P/N for various models 2007-2010 and 2011-2022​
The 68517554AA filter has:
54 white pleats - these do "feel" thinner/lighter, and have a different embossing pattern on them.​
Thinner Black seal @.360"​
"Product of USA"​
RockAuto lists this for only 2022 applications​

Both are the same overall height.

One might assume that the thinner/lighter pleats need the glue strip to keep from collapsing together under high negative pressure. ???

It would be nice if someone has the ability/setup to flow test these filters to see if it really matters. Should get PF to check them out for us. LOL.

My (2020) truck is in the shop ATM but I'll be replacing the filter when I get it back and will post up the factory filter part number that's in it.

20230129_124413.jpg

1675026553462.png

20230129_124739.jpg

20230129_134649.jpg

1675026596125.png

20230129_124700.jpg

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have the AA filter in my 19 no issues i would not over think it both work fine

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the AA filter in my 19 no issues i would not over think it both work fine

Part of the reason the thread exists is that some have been reporting excess regens or other issues (low boost codes, etc.)

Part of the reason these forums exist is to discuss these issues.

You're also deleted, so honestly your experience doesn't hold much water for this particular issue.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Part of the reason the thread exists is that some have been reporting excess regens or other issues (low boost codes, etc.)

Part of the reason these forums exist is to discuss these issues.

You're also deleted, so honestly your experience doesn't hold much water for this particular issue.
The AA filter was in before i tuned it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Tons of reports of the AA filter causing issues. On top of that, if both filters were universal, they wouldn’t bother to maintain two independent part numbers and two independent filters with different designs. There’s a specific reason why each one exists, I just wish we could get clarification from the higher ups as to why. I just ran the AB filter for five hours straight after pulling the AA filter out of my truck. Seems like the truck had slightly more power and Better fuel economy. If the wrong filter is causing even a little bit of restriction and causing a less efficient combustion, I could see it readily causing more regenerations. Also wondered, as Brutal suggested, if the lighter, thinner filter media could potentially be collapsed under significant air intake. These trucks are known to destroy inferior filters with or without glue strips. Having had both in my hands, the AB filter is undoubtedly more sturdy (and heavier). I noticed the AA filter I took out already looked a little “wrinkled” at the pleats. @Brutal_HO did it also seem like the AB filter media has a slightly oiled appearance, whereas the AA seems completely dry?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Tons of reports of the AA filter causing issues. On top of that, if both filters were universal, they wouldn’t bother to maintain two independent part numbers and two independent filters with different designs. There’s a specific reason why each one exists, I just wish we could get clarification from the higher ups as to why. I just ran the AB filter for five hours straight after pulling the AA filter out of my truck. Seems like the truck had slightly more power and Better fuel economy. If the wrong filter is causing even a little bit of restriction and causing a less efficient combustion, I could see it readily causing more regenerations. Also wondered, as Brutal suggested, I’d the lighter thinner filter media could potentially be collapsed under significant air intake. These trucks are known to destroy inferior filters with or without glue strips. Having had both in my hands, the AB filter is undoubtedly more sturdy (and heavier). I noticed the AA filter I took out already looked a little “wrinkled” at the pleats. @Brutal_HO did it also seem like the AB filter media has a slightly oiled appearance, whereas the AA seems completely dry?

Haven't taken them out of the package. I wanted to wait until I had a chance to speak with the dealer/tech and see what my factory filter is. Dealer did text me Friday that my truck (with 12K miles) needed a filter @$70. LOL I declined.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't taken them out of the package. I wanted to wait until I had a chance to speak with the dealer/tech and see what my factory filter is. Dealer did text me Friday that my truck (with 12K miles) needed a filter @$70. LOL I declined.
Understood. The white and black one seems like its dry. I also think it is the more expensive filter? ($75 vs $50)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Tons of reports of the AA filter causing issues. On top of that, if both filters were universal, they wouldn’t bother to maintain two independent part numbers and two independent filters with different designs. There’s a specific reason why each one exists, I just wish we could get clarification from the higher ups as to why. I just ran the AB filter for five hours straight after pulling the AA filter out of my truck. Seems like the truck had slightly more power and Better fuel economy. If the wrong filter is causing even a little bit of restriction and causing a less efficient combustion, I could see it readily causing more regenerations. Also wondered, as Brutal suggested, I’d the lighter thinner filter media could potentially be collapsed under significant air intake. These trucks are known to destroy inferior filters with or without glue strips. Having had both in my hands, the AB filter is undoubtedly more sturdy (and heavier). I noticed the AA filter I took out already looked a little “wrinkled” at the pleats. @Brutal_HO did it also seem like the AB filter media has a slightly oiled appearance, whereas the AA seems completely dry?
I did not notice any change. Now i have not removed it and now being deleted and tuned i perhaps should pull it and see if there is any deformation. When i bought it the dealer said that was the new updated part number. Now you have me thinking about taking a look at it and see. I may pull it in the shop this week to see

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. The white and black one seems like its dry. I also think it is the more expensive filter? ($75 vs $50)

Currently $36.95 on Amazon on my order detail, but using the link, they've updated the part number and image to 68517554AA.

Was $26.90 when I purchased 53034051AB Mar 2021 and they sent me 68517554AA.

The 53034051AB I just received from Geno's was $36.95 but of course I got hammered on shipping so $48.95 as I didn't need anything else, well stocked on all the other filters.

Not sure what MSRP is, I never pay MSRP.

ETA: This is what Geno's currently shows: seems they are stickling with the Star tech tip.

1675045886575.png

I just have this gut feeling that the white one flows less air and some are getting codes. Do we know

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Currently $36.95 on Amazon but they've updated the part number and image to 68517554AA.

Was $26.90 when I purchased 53034051AB Mar 2021 and they sent me 68517554AA.

The 53034051AB I just received from Geno's was $36.95 but of course I got hammered on shipping so $48.95 as I didn't need anything else, well stocked on all the other filters.

Not sure what MSRP is, I never pay MSRP.
I wish Genos was not so expensive to ship to canada they are great but the exchange rate and shipping and duty makes everything more than the dealer costs

Users who are viewing this thread