Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not notice any change. Now i have not removed it and now being deleted and tuned i perhaps should pull it and see if there is any deformation. When i bought it the dealer said that was the new updated part number. Now you have me thinking about taking a look at it and see. I may pull it in the shop this week to see
Yeah my dealer was adamant it was the new updated filter too. I ran it for 1,240 miles without a code or an issue. The truck seemed the same as far as I could tell (there were a few instances where it was a little sluggish off the line when merging on to the interstate, but I chalked those up to a cold engine / transmission.....maybe incorrectly.) Shortly after I started seeing a lot of confusion online and conflicting information, which is what started this whole discussion. After calling no less than 7 dealers and sellers (Geno`s Garage, Mark Dodge, Kernersville Dodge, etc) and getting more of the same conflicting information, I decided it was time to bring this issue to light by discussing it here. Lots of good contacts and intelligent people here, I figured this would be the place to get things addressed. My primary concern is the filter suddenly failing if its not up to the task, especially under heavy air demand. OR causing a slow but steadily increasing frequency in regen cycles. I really did try to find CFM and Micron rating specs for both, but the only data I ever came up with was basic dimensions. Ultimately I just decided to swap it out with the AB filter as a precautionary measure. I called several local dealers in search of the AB filter but found all of them were backordered 3+ weeks. I found the Fleetguard equivalent on Amazon and ordered. (I`m almost positive the OEM mopar AB filter is a FG)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
(I`m almost positive the OEM mopar AB filter is a FG)
it does appear that way as the 2 look identical, i just checked on Genos before tax its 76$ for the filter and shipping, i may have to order one at the dealer and wait for the replacement in the mean time as i am close to time for a new one anyway

Blackpowder

Reaction score
Currently $36.95 on Amazon on my order detail, but using the link, but they've updated the part number and image to 68517554AA.

Was $26.90 when I purchased 53034051AB Mar 2021 and they sent me 68517554AA.

The 53034051AB I just received from Geno's was $36.95 but of course I got hammered on shipping so $48.95 as I didn't need anything else, well stocked on all the other filters.

Not sure what MSRP is, I never pay MSRP.

ETA: This is what Geno's currently shows: seems they are stickling with the Star tech tip.

View attachment 50975

I just have this gut feeling that the white one flows less air and some are getting codes. Do we know
Just to be safe I returned my Amazon "AA" filter (which was advertised as an "AB" filter). Ordered the "AB" filter from Genos, which arrives in a few days. And yes, I got hit on shipping since it's the only thing I ordered. In retrospect I should have ordered two filters.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
it does appear that way as the 2 look identical, i just checked on Genos before tax its 76$ for the filter and shipping, i may have to order one at the dealer and wait for the replacement in the mean time as i am close to time for a new one anyway
The old (USA-made) Napa / Wix FIL6930 also looked identical to the “AB” filter and the FG, but that changed between May and December of 22. The new 6930 looks almost identical to the “AA” filter. 74B838F7-2003-40BD-B1D8-10BB9AD88B3E.jpeg
7AB9807F-F997-4894-9A30-4A300F758251.jpeg
B5BE5946-D1EF-4814-AD7D-882486C4035B.jpeg
72EB0BEF-B0B1-4A48-8FC8-DE3A23545FE5.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be safe I returned my Amazon "AA" filter (which was advertised as an "AB" filter). Ordered the "AB" filter from Genos, which arrives in a few days. And yes, I got hit on shipping since it's the only thing I ordered. In retrospect I should have ordered two filters.

I was just thinking the same thing, but wanted to shake this out a bit.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I’ll be curious what shows up, the AA is being shipped on AB orders.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll be curious what shows up, the AA is being shipped on AB orders.
Geno`s is aware of the filter confusion and is shipping the AB filter for 19 and up diesels. (or at least that is what they told me over the phone last week)

They said they`ve "reached as high up the ladder with Stellantis / Mopar as they can for clarity with regard to this filter issue but have reached dead ends." They are supposedly following the "tech tip" bulletin that was posted earlier in this thread.

steve49

Reaction score
My 19 came with the yellow air filter and my first oil change the OEM filter ordered under 68517554AA arrived was yellow. Did a second oil change and ordered again the OEM 7554AA filter and it's the white filter, hasn't been a problem runs fine. Mopar Wholesale Parts shows the 53034051AB is no longer for sale.

jkempken

Reaction score
Here is my experience for what it is worth. I just installed a new White filter with Glue strips to my 2020 SO which is tuned by Calibrated Power set on light tow. Took it on a 3000 mile snowmobiling trip hauling a 31ft enclosed trailer with 5 sleds in it through all different weather conditions, snow, freezing rain, -15 degrees, and 40 degrees, and 40 MPH winds and never got a code.

Highcountry

Reaction score
When I ordered fuel and air filters from diesel filters online it came with 68517554AA. I noticed more than one part listed, but their site definitely
listed it for my '20

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpg
    IMG_6993.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 21

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Geno`s is aware of the filter confusion and is shipping the AB filter for 19 and up diesels. (or at least that is what they told me over the phone last week)

They said they`ve "reached as high up the ladder with Stellantis / Mopar as they can for clarity with regard to this filter issue but have reached dead ends." They are supposedly following the "tech tip" bulletin that was posted earlier in this thread.
Interesting. I wonder when they became aware of this as they shipped me a 68517554AA for my 22.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a filter from Geno's

Ordered AB, got AB.

1675196189836.png

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm no filter scientist, but the AA looks like it was probably made by WIX and I'd bet the AB is made by FRAM.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I will report back with what shows up from Genos. Supposed to arrive on Thursday.

I just got a filter from Geno's

Ordered AB, got AB.

View attachment 51069
I just received my filter from Geno's with the same result.

Attachments

• 20230131_142019.jpg
    20230131_142019.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 45

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yours reads easier on the specs. Like I said, be interested to know what the CFM/efficiency on the other filter is.

View attachment 51095
I`ve spent a few hours over the past few days trying to find the specs for the 68517554AA filter. I`ve come up empty handed repeatedly. What is interesting to note is that this part number rarely, if ever, returns a successful match when it is entered into an aftermarket filter cross reference search. FRAM, Purolator, Wix, and NAPA will not even mention a cross over. I thought maybe I would try to find the CFM and Efficiency specs through an aftermarket copy but that turned out to be another dead end.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, would be interesting to compare. This is the first time I have seen a CFM rating printed on an engine air filter.

It’s been common for years on these engines. It was printed on filters I used for my 5.9.

Users who are viewing this thread