Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

rfullen280

Reaction score
Stupid question of the day - is there a functional difference between the filters? In other words... Does it matter?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid question of the day - is there a functional difference between the filters? In other words... Does it matter?
That’s what we’re trying to find out. There have been multiple reports of the white “aa” filters causing DTC’s, emissions issues, and low performance. In addition, there exists a “tech tip” in STAR about using the “AB” for 19 and up diesels. I would assume there is a specific reason for it.

flan

Reaction score
That’s what we’re trying to find out. There have been multiple reports of the white “aa” filters causing DTC’s, emissions issues, and low performance. In addition, there exists a “tech tip” in STAR about using the “AB” for 19 and up diesels. I would assume there is a specific reason for it.
Along with reports of the AA causing no problems as well.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Along with reports of the AA causing no problems as well.
Correct. And I was one of those. For at least 1,240 miles. I pulled the AA and switched back to the AB filter after seeing the bulletin.
Genos has since begun to follow that bulletin as well. If both filters were intended to be universal there would be no need to have two different filters with independent part numbers. The AA filter is more obscure, and does not cross to any other aftermarket manufacturer I could find. I’m inclined to believe one or more specs on that filter are different.

flan

Reaction score
Correct. And I was one of those. For at least 1,240 miles. I pulled the AA and switched back to the AB filter after seeing the bulletin.
Genos has since begun to follow that bulletin as well. If both filters were intended to be universal there would be no need to have two different filters with independent part numbers. The AA filter is more obscure, and does not cross to any other aftermarket manufacturer I could find. I’m inclined to believe one or more specs on that filter are different.
Any production run info on it? Was it a stop gap because of supply chain issues? Now that manufacturing is back to semi normal the AB is more available therefore recommended? Beats me.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Any production run info on it? Was it a stop gap because of supply chain issues? Now that manufacturing is back to semi normal the AB is more available therefore recommended? Beats me.
This is all that’s on it. No specs on CFM, efficiency, etc. 6A7D0606-BA2D-46E9-96DF-A37C144B1221.jpeg

crawlex

Reaction score
I ordered the AB off of amazon and received the AA filter, I saw somewhere in the fine print on amazon that the AA filter can be subbed for the AB filter. At first I thought maybe it was an amazon counterfeit so I called the dealer and they matched the AB filter to my 2019 VIN so I bought it and returned the AA to amazon.

This is a frustrating issue to have but maybe it will be figured out by the next time I replace the filter.

By the way, was anyone else as impressed with the factory air box as I was? What are those, wood screws holding the cover on? And that angled bracket that you have to fight with the get the cover off.. Brilliant design considerations all around... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Fcr

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered the AB off of amazon and received the AA filter, I saw somewhere in the fine print on amazon that the AA filter can be subbed for the AB filter. At first I thought maybe it was an amazon counterfeit so I called the dealer and they matched the AB filter to my 2019 VIN so I bought it and returned the AA to amazon.

This is a frustrating issue to have but maybe it will be figured out by the next time I replace the filter.

By the way, was anyone else as impressed with the factory air box as I was? What are those, wood screws holding the cover on? And that angled bracket that you have to fight with the get the cover off.. Brilliant design considerations all around... :rolleyes:
No updates on the filter from any of my contacts. Still waiting on clarification….

The screws are just a coarse thread self tapping designed to work with plastic. When you do the air filter change, it is easiest to just fully remove them, that usually allows you to slide the lid toward the engine bay a little enough to clear the fender brace that you’re referring to.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I got curious and went and took a look at my original filter that was installed in my '22 that was built in May, it is the 53034051AB

20230204_111133.jpg
20230204_111147.jpg

crawlex

Reaction score
How many miles are on those filters? Because mine looked way worse with the recommended 15k miles…

superjoe83

Reaction score
How many miles are on those filters? Because mine looked way worse with the recommended 15k miles…
I'm at just under 5k, I just pulled it to look at the part #, I put it back in

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I spoke with the dealer yesterday about the filters and the STAR Tip. He said they're following the STAR tip and they have seen *SOME* 19+ trucks come in with codes that were running the AA filter.

He said they use the correct part number for the MY truck. AA for pre 19 and AB for 19+.

No updates on the filter from any of my contacts. Still waiting on clarification….

The screws are just a coarse thread self tapping designed to work with plastic. When you do the air filter change, it is easiest to just fully remove them, that usually allows you to slide the lid toward the engine bay a little enough to clear the fender brace that you’re referring to.

If you back them out until they grab the upper, they are captive and out of the way. Also helps to loosen the intake tube and even pull the MAF and temp sensor probe connectors.

11,718 on the one pictured. That was the first service performed on the truck since it was delivered.

Changed mine at 12,458. Apparently this is a 10K service. It's also apparent ya'll don't have Miller Moths or cottonwoods to deal with. LOL

20230203_152945 (Large).jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I got curious and went and took a look at my original filter that was installed in my '22 that was built in May, it is the 53034051AB

View attachment 51321
View attachment 51322

I looked at mine and it’s the same.

The manual just tells you to inspect it at 15K, and replace as necessary. Unlike my ‘18, I cannot find a max interval. The ‘18 said 36 months or 30K miles, which for me was miles and I never got the service air filter message on the EVIC. The 18 always had the AB filter in it.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
have a 22 3500 SO with about 13k miles - stumbled across this post as I was going to replace my air filter since I had a 1000 mile trip this past weekend. my 22 had the 53034051AB filter factory installed

short version - dealers knowledge level on the difference of the two ranges widely

called local dealer and they said they had one in stock. went to pick it up, they offered me the AA filter. when I asked about the other part # which they said they had one... he simply replied that they were the same thing. why do i even bother with them

tried a couple dealers on my route, one said that 53034051AB was only showing in their system as the correct filter for 23MY trucks. when i told him that my 22 came with the AB filter installed from the factory he wasn't sure what to say...told 'em i was trying to avoid the AA filter with the glue strips which he acknowledged they had trucks with CELs that were traced back to the AA filter (or another one) with glue strips

another dealer had several in stock and stopped in and once again they brought out the AA filter

finally found one a couple hrs into my drive, this parts guy (woman) knew all about the differences and agreed that the AB version was what they preferred to use on the newer trucks - they were just harder to order right now

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
That parallels my experiences with dealerships exactly. I called no less than seven dealers around the country and got back and forth, contradicting information regarding the two. I ended up going with the AB and have no regrets as it is without question the correct filter for our trucks. If you pop the air box open on a brand new 2023, the 53034051AB is what you will find. That’s enough of an answer for me. I’m astonished that someone within their company has not corrected the issue with the filters yet.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
We should start emailing dealers the STAR Tip. LOL
I did exactly that. Emailed my service manager and the result is below. The email included pictures of each filter as well as the STAR tip. The end result was a no questions asked refund. However they also did not provide any insight. See the email below. I redacted any personally identifiable information.

Attachments

• Engine Air Filter email redacted.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread