Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yet another truck that was delivered with the connector for the tow mode digital trailer camera but which is not reflected in either the window sticker or the equipment listing.

3C6UR5FL7NG127280

Located at Brandon Dodge in Littleton CO

It’ll be interesting to see if my truck comes with the connector or not…

4040fb29f04a63ef0de859830da7b11f.jpg

4b126330860b2210e7dc057e0752bf3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrWellman

Reaction score
I am also ordering a chassis cab and would like the tow mode camera. Can you post a picture of your build sheet with the sales codes so I can see what you ordered? Thanks in advance.
I did not order my truck, found it on the lot. Not sure how to find a build sheet with codes. I can find an equipment list, but no codes. Messaged you my vin if you know how to look it up.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Yet another truck that was delivered with the connector for the tow mode digital trailer camera but which is not reflected in either the window sticker or the equipment listing.

3C6UR5FL7NG127280

Located at Brandon Dodge in Littleton CO

It’ll be interesting to see if my truck comes with the connector or not…

4040fb29f04a63ef0de859830da7b11f.jpg

4b126330860b2210e7dc057e0752bf3f.jpg

It is part of the customer proffered group digital rear view mirror

sludge

Reaction score
I did not order my truck, found it on the lot. Not sure how to find a build sheet with codes. I can find an equipment list, but no codes. Messaged you my vin if you know how to look it up.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it a lot. Your sticker had the two following packages:

Towing Technology Group $1,095 Center High–Mounted Stop Lamp with Camera Surround–View Camera System Trailer Reverse Guidance

Tow–Mode Digital Rear–View Mirror Package $845 Digital Rearview Mirror Tow–Mode / Up–Fit Camera (Wired)

I believe these are codes AAN and AVF.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It is part of the customer proffered group digital rear view mirror

So it is included as part of any package that contains the digital rearview mirror?

I ordered my longhorn with the safety group so it has the digital rearview, but forgot to add the Tow mode camera wired option. Was hoping maybe my truck will come with the plug already wired….

aaron_huber

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a while before ordering a new truck to let the shortage issues and bugs in the new Uconnect work themselves out, but I'm still on the fence about getting the tow mode camera. I love the idea of not needing an extra screen on the dash/windshield for the backup camera (currently use a Furrion camera/monitor), but I'm not sure if the new camera is a good option. If anyone gets one set up on their fifth wheel, I'd love to see a video of what it looks like. The concerns I have:
  • Can you move the plug from the bumper to the bed easily for use with a fifth wheel? No way I'm going to have a cable snaked over the tailgate while towing.
  • Is the 50ft of included cable for the camera enough to snake all the way back from the bed to the rear of the trailer (just over 35' long in my case). 15 feet of length to go down the front overhang, all the way along the bottom of the trailer, inside the back wall somewhere, and then vertically up to the top rear for mounting seems a little tight.
  • What is the vertical range of the camera/rearview mirror? I've seen in the Ram YouTube video that you can adjust the vertical angle of the display using the buttons on the mirror, and obviously you can adjust the camera itself to point up or down, but I want to make sure that there is a good combination of being able to see where the rear bumper is (critical for backing up with the trailer) and seeing cars behind me when driving on the road.
If a company made a wireless camera that is compatible with the Furrion camera mount already on just about every trailer sold now, along with a receiver module that plugs into the truck for display on the mirror, I'd have to think they would sell a few of those. Point me at the kickstarter if anyone wants to start up something.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a while before ordering a new truck to let the shortage issues and bugs in the new Uconnect work themselves out, but I'm still on the fence about getting the tow mode camera. I love the idea of not needing an extra screen on the dash/windshield for the backup camera (currently use a Furrion camera/monitor), but I'm not sure if the new camera is a good option. If anyone gets one set up on their fifth wheel, I'd love to see a video of what it looks like. The concerns I have:
  • Can you move the plug from the bumper to the bed easily for use with a fifth wheel? No way I'm going to have a cable snaked over the tailgate while towing.
  • Is the 50ft of included cable for the camera enough to snake all the way back from the bed to the rear of the trailer (just over 35' long in my case). 15 feet of length to go down the front overhang, all the way along the bottom of the trailer, inside the back wall somewhere, and then vertically up to the top rear for mounting seems a little tight.
  • What is the vertical range of the camera/rearview mirror? I've seen in the Ram YouTube video that you can adjust the vertical angle of the display using the buttons on the mirror, and obviously you can adjust the camera itself to point up or down, but I want to make sure that there is a good combination of being able to see where the rear bumper is (critical for backing up with the trailer) and seeing cars behind me when driving on the road.
If a company made a wireless camera that is compatible with the Furrion camera mount already on just about every trailer sold now, along with a receiver module that plugs into the truck for display on the mirror, I'd have to think they would sell a few of those. Point me at the kickstarter if anyone wants to start up something.
Anything is better then the Furrion I would think LOL. I had a RVS wired camera and my previous fifth wheel that I installed and it work really good and had nice picture. Got my Montana that came with the Furrion and the picture is terrible, looks like 80's tech on a tube monitor, can't believe how bad it is. Then the fact that it cuts out 1/2 the time when you are driving. I figure even if the Ram quality is so so it will be way better then the Furrion. My biggest concern I that I am going to have to add on to the cable and what that will do to the quality. Figure I need to add about 10' on.

aaron_huber

Reaction score
Anything is better then the Furrion I would think LOL. I had a RVS wired camera and my previous fifth wheel that I installed and it work really good and had nice picture. Got my Montana that came with the Furrion and the picture is terrible, looks like 80's tech on a tube monitor, can't believe how bad it is. Then the fact that it cuts out 1/2 the time when you are driving. I figure even if the Ram quality is so so it will be way better then the Furrion. My biggest concern I that I am going to have to add on to the cable and what that will do to the quality. Figure I need to add about 10' on.
I've still got the first gen Furrion camera with the 4.3 inch monitor and it's pretty bad, resolution is 480 x 272. The newer models with the 5" or 7" screen have a resolution of 720 x 480 and from videos I've seen it does look a lot better:

That being said, I don't really care if it's a Furrion camera, just something that connects to the standard mount like https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Bracket-Adapter-Compatible-Pre-Wired/dp/B07LGLJWG2 with a decent image quality and a wireless receiver that hooks into the truck's video port. I don't need another cable to plug into the truck every time I connect the trailer.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
What camera do I use for that plug in?
From earlier in this thread:
A quote from within that post:
Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.

sludge

Reaction score
Jimmy07 - Any insight on the following.

I'm looking at a 5500 chassis cab. I am told that they cannot add the tow mode digital rear view mirror package (AVF) if the Safety group (AAU) is added. Also, the stand alone tow mode camera (XH7) is not even an option in their system. The safety group has the digital rear view mirror, will it include the wiring for the tow mode camera, so I could add the camera later? Thanks in advance.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy07 - Any insight on the following.

I'm looking at a 5500 chassis cab. I am told that they cannot add the tow mode digital rear view mirror package (AVF) if the Safety group (AAU) is added. Also, the stand alone tow mode camera (XH7) is not even an option in their system. The safety group has the digital rear view mirror, will it include the wiring for the tow mode camera, so I could add the camera later? Thanks in advance.
That, I’m not sure. I can see trucks online that have the tow mode camera port in the bumper that aren’t optioned with the tow mode camera, and some that don’t have the port that aren’t optioned with it.

ACEd

Reaction score
Does anyone have details of the Fakra coax connector - when I looked up Fakra, there seem to be at least half a dozen variants.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Does anyone have details of the Fakra coax connector - when I looked up Fakra, there seem to be at least half a dozen variants.
Which one? Fakra is a generic term for a type of coax cable connector housing. They are universally color coded with a corresponding letter based on how they are keyed- fakra A is black, fakra B is white, etc. So, you plug a galea A male into a fakra A female, with fakra Z being universally keyed so it will plug into any other letter code mate. Stellantis uses Rosenberger as their Fakra connector supplier, and they are nearly impossible for the average person to buy them in small quantities. The tow mode camera female connector on the bumper is part number
59Z163-003-A for the housing, and 59Z163-000/56 for the contact. The part number for the male connector that plugs into the bumper port just shows 11-983.

ACEd

Reaction score
Which one? Fakra is a generic term for a type of coax cable connector housing. They are universally color coded with a corresponding letter based on how they are keyed- fakra A is black, fakra B is white, etc. So, you plug a galea A male into a fakra A female, with fakra Z being universally keyed so it will plug into any other letter code mate. Stellantis uses Rosenberger as their Fakra connector supplier, and they are nearly impossible for the average person to buy them in small quantities. The tow mode camera female connector on the bumper is part number
59Z163-003-A for the housing, and 59Z163-000/56 for the contact. The part number for the male connector that plugs into the bumper port just shows 11-983.
Thanks - I will need to move Tow Mode camera connection to bed along with regular 7 pin connection for Gooseneck setup. I am looking for which Fakra code is user on the Tow Mode Camera - or better still is there a MOPAR kit like there is for the 7 pin? And as an aside, is there a MOPAR kit to move the 12 pin connector for gooseneck. Personally I would prefer to use a MOPAR kit but I have not been able to find one MOPAR or otherwise, so I was trying to figure out what parts I would need for DIY move.

Tledwards

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my 2022 Ram Laramie and also have multiple connections at the bumper - 7 pin/12 pin and a camera connection... But no 4 way pin???? I now need an adaptor for a 7 to 4 way pin? And yes I too was confused with these connections.

ACEd

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my 2022 Ram Laramie and also have multiple connections at the bumper - 7 pin/12 pin and a camera connection... But no 4 way pin???? I now need an adaptor for a 7 to 4 way pin? And yes I too was confused with these connections.
Look in glovebox and various storage compartments and under seat - there probably should be a 7 to 4 pin adapter - there was in my 2015. But if not they are readilt available.

Tledwards

Reaction score
Yeah I looked and found the hitch reducer to 2" and the harnesses for the access switches but no 7 to 4 way. I was just shocked that my 2022 Ram with trailer tow not have a 4 way connection and that I would need a $15 adapter... I do believe there is a 4 way plug in my box but why should I need an adaptor? Seems old school... Hate having to rely on keeping this in my truck. I have several on these but just annoying.

Markposen304

Reaction score
Anyone else think it’s ridiculous that there is no wireless option for trailer cameras? I was going to get the trailer surround view camera system until I learned the 4 cameras are all wired. So I would need to drill and mount on the outside of the trailer and would be a pain if I ever upgrade my trailer. You can get a Bluetooth one with screen for a couple hundred bucks and take it with you. It doesn’t do great as a “see thru” rear view mirror but does the trick for backing.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Anyone else think it’s ridiculous that there is no wireless option for trailer cameras? I was going to get the trailer surround view camera system until I learned the 4 cameras are all wired. So I would need to drill and mount on the outside of the trailer and would be a pain if I ever upgrade my trailer. You can get a Bluetooth one with screen for a couple hundred bucks and take it with you. It doesn’t do great as a “see thru” rear view mirror but does the trick for backing.

Bluetooth is only good for about 30' as far as I know, can't see that as being a good option. Also with wireless you still have to get power to the camera so still need a wire, but it would be easier.

Markposen304

Reaction score
The aftermarket system I use in my 2013 Sport is Bluetooth and works from the cab to the back of my 32’ TT… so 40’+ through metal, glass, and fiberglass. Hooks up to the powered Furrion mount on the TT. Cost me $150 on Amazon.

It’s definitely not as clean or quick as a 4-camera system on a 12” UC screen. I’m just saying wireless is probably feasible. It’s 2021. Saved me $995 on my build though…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread