Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Limited level 1 includes regular surround. Ok good there is a 12 pin. How many aux cams can I add then (since there is no xn1 to occupy aux 1)? Or are you saying that regular surround DOES occupy aux 1 because regular surround PREPS for trailer surround?

What is the purpose of the 12 pin when regular surround is configured (why does regular surround = 12 pin)? Is this the prep for trailer surround and the aux 2 cam?
That’s just how the truck is wired with that option. From the brochure above: “vehicle built with surround view option are prepped for mopar trailer 360 offering”.
Since it has surround view, you can add only 1 aux trailer camera. This is because when the BCM is configured for surround view, when you activate the aux trailer setting in the BCM, the radio will populate the trailer surround view and aux2 camera soft keys in the more cameras menu.

Dlleno

Reaction score
Ok makes sense now thank you. My dealer had me 180 degrees out of phase here, saying that xn1 itself is a prep and that xn1 is what delivered the 12 pin!

Lookd like Aux 2 will be available on day one....and I can add trailer surround at any time after delivery because the prep is already there.

Follow up question. Are aux1 and aux 2 cams different part numbers as they occupy different pins?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Lookd like Aux 2 will be available on day one....and I can add trailer surround at any time after delivery because the prep is already there.
Yes and no- the truck will be wired for trailer surround view and Aux 2, but I’m not sure if the trailer gateway module will be present (right side of steering column above trailer brake module). This module is a security gateway to the trailer surround CVPM. Also, the BCM won’t be configured for the trailer surround view or aux trailer camera, so the soft keys for them won’t be present in the radio. The dealer would need to add the XN1 sales code, if available, or you would need to use AlfaOBD to enable VehConfig 8: Aux Trailer Camera Present.
Follow up question. Are aux1 and aux 2 cams different part numbers as they occupy different pins?
They are the same, although I’m not sure off hand the part number. I’m guessing there will be a break out connector for the aux camera on the trailer surround view wiring harness for those equipped. In your case, if you were just wanting to use the aux 2 camera, you would buy the aux trailer camera kit, and plug the sections of camera harnesses into the camera 2 plug instead of camera 1.
C99FFE84-B83A-4193-AE31-C19743C96810.jpeg

Dlleno

Reaction score
Re "Also, the BCM won’t be configured for the trailer surround view or aux trailer camera, so the soft keys for them won’t be present in the radio"

Ok so xn1 does some prep beyond the fakra cameras. What aux trailer camera are you referring to and how is it different from the camera available for use in aux 2 without xn1 (when regular surround is present) ? Does xn1 prep for an aux camera that is otherwise not available?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Re "Also, the BCM won’t be configured for the trailer surround view or aux trailer camera, so the soft keys for them won’t be present in the radio"

Ok so xn1 does some prep beyond the fakra cameras. What aux trailer camera are you referring to and how is it different from the camera available for use in aux 2 without xn1 (when regular surround is present) ? Does xn1 prep for an aux camera that is otherwise not available?
Aux trailer camera refers to the analog trailer camera that you can mount anywhere you want, and is different than the trailer surround view system. Aux 1 and aux 2 are the same cameras, there is no difference. You will only be capable of using one of those two cameras, which will be called “aux 2” on the radio cameras menu screen.
XN1 just includes the trailer surround view kit- trailer harness, 4 digital cameras, 4 cables for those cameras, and CVPM. It does not include an aux camera. The soft key in the radio for aux 2 is a byproduct of of having truck surround view and trailer surround view configured in the BCM. The wires present for the aux 2 camera on the truck side are a byproduct of having the 12-pin trailer connector.

Dlleno

Reaction score
"The soft key in the radio for aux 2 is a byproduct of of having truck surround view and trailer surround view configured in the BCM"a

This means aux2 is not even usable without xn1? (Regular surround but no trailer surround)? More precisely, it sounds like even if it is technically possible to configure the bcm for aux2 without xn1 present, such a configuration would be a non standard one off. Or am I still missing something

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
"The soft key in the radio for aux 2 is a byproduct of of having truck surround view and trailer surround view configured in the BCM"a

This means aux2 is not even usable without xn1? (Regular surround but no trailer surround)? More precisely, it sounds like even if it is technically possible to configure the bcm for aux2 without xn1 present, such a configuration would be a non standard one off. Or am I still missing something
If the soft key is there, and the wiring is there, and you connect a camera on the end of the wiring for the aux 2, then it will work.

ACEd

Reaction score
I have a Limited Longhorn coming with Rambox + Level 1 pkg + Tow Tech + TowMode/Digital Rearview option
I intend to install a BW Gooseneck hitch and will need connections including the Coax for TowMode camera in bed
My questions are:
1. What if anything should I expect in bed with Rambox? - 7 pin, 12 pin, 4pin, coax, nothing?
2. Assuming nothing comes in bed, what parts do I need to put connectors in bed - I would prefer Mopar parts
3. And finally, where do Trailer connectors go with a Rambox?
Any help - or point me to someone with answers would be appreciated.

Dlleno

Reaction score
If the soft key is there, and the wiring is there, and you connect a camera on the end of the wiring for the aux 2, then it will work.
Ok but in order to get the soft key there, one of two things have to happen. Either Xn1 has to be there , or some other step i don't yet understand. Is that step something dealers would easily do or would that place the truck in a non standard configuration ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ok but in order to get the soft key there, one of two things have to happen. Either Xn1 has to be there , or some other step i don't yet understand. Is that step something dealers would easily do or would that place the truck in a non standard configuration ?
If you don’t have the XN1 option, then you won’t have these soft keys-
BB2F7C15-E23F-48F5-ABCB-71595F9EDECD.jpeg
You get those soft keys by trying to have the dealer program the XN1 sales code to the BCM vehicle configuration, or use AlfaOBD to enable them yourself.

Dlleno

Reaction score
Got it thank you. So. When xn1 is programmed im the bcm does that also expose 12 pin aux 1 to the output of the fakra trailer surround controller"s output or does that also require the security module You previously mentioned? I believe you were tentative on this point, as if to suggest that the bcm might not accept the xn1 sales code without it

I'm not that interested in the trailer surround hardware itself. Just want to make use of the u connect system without that separate fakra based hardware

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Got it thank you. So. When xn1 is programmed im the bcm does that also expose 12 pin aux 1 to the output of the fakra trailer surround controller"s output or does that also require the security module You previously mentioned? I believe you were tentative on this point, as if to suggest that the bcm might not accept the xn1 sales code without it

I'm not that interested in the trailer surround hardware itself. Just want to make use of the u connect system without that separate fakra based hardware
When the BCM is configured for truck surround view, it can not be configured to have the aux 1 camera work, only aux 2. When the aux trailer setting in the BCM is activated, the two soft keys will show up that I have circled above when the truck is equipped with regular surround view.
When the aux trailer setting in the BCM is activated, and the truck is NOT equipped with regular surround view, then instead of “trailer surround camera” showing up, it will be “Aux 1” soft key, along with Aux 2.
In a nutshell, if you have regular surround view, you will only possibly be able to add ONE aux camera. Most of this is also explained in the owner’s manual.

Dlleno

Reaction score
Ok its getting clearer! About programming the bcm with xn1 when I didnt order xn1 on the build sheet -- the step that provides trailer surround and aux2 soft keys: is that the thing that enables the analog pins on the 12 pin to accept the aux 2 camera? And a related question...would this same step also expose the right analog pins on the 12 pin to accept the analog output of the trailer surround fakra system , should that be possible to add later?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ok its getting clearer! About programming the bcm with xn1 when I didnt order xn1 on the build sheet -- the step that provides trailer surround and aux2 soft keys: is that the thing that enables the analog pins on the 12 pin to accept the aux 2 camera? And a related question...would this same step also expose the right analog pins on the 12 pin to accept the analog output of the trailer surround fakra system , should that be possible to add later?
Yes and yes

ACEd

Reaction score
Anyone out there with 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Prep with Trailer Tech and TowMode Camera/Digital RearView pkg?
Trying to find out what connectors you have and where? Specifically WHAT IS IN BED? Pictures would be appreciated.
Best, Ed

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Anyone out there with 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Prep with Trailer Tech and TowMode Camera/Digital RearView pkg?
Trying to find out what connectors you have and where? Specifically WHAT IS IN BED? Pictures would be appreciated.
Best, Ed

ACEd

Reaction score
So my conclusion is there is wiring for the 7/12 in bed with Prep Pkg (hopefully a splitter like the good old 7/4 pin Mopar Splitter on my 2015) but NOT for the Coax TrailerTow Wired Camera Connector.

May have to plug bumper Coax hole and move wiring to bed (hope there is enough length and its not part of another harness. Anyone done this yet?

Dlleno

Reaction score
A splitter for the fakra cable would not be trivial although relocation or extension is possible. These are low voltage high speed radio frequency signals in the Giga Hz region, similar to satellite TV. Maximum total coax length is 50 feet

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
A splitter for the fakra cable would not be trivial although relocation or extension is possible. These are low voltage high speed radio frequency signals in the Giga Hz region, similar to satellite TV. Maximum total coax length is 50 feet
I hope I can add another 10 feet to that 50 , won't know until I have a truck to try it on.

Users who are viewing this thread