Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

DougB

Reaction score
I need readers, too. Fortunately, there's still enough distance left to see the digital display. That said, I'm more comfortable with the regular mirror...until a trailer blocks the way.
I tried it on a test drive and it was a quick nope for me. I’ll see if it’s any better the longer I use it once my truck’s in my possession. If I can tolerate it, then I may consider the trailer camera.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
For your 2021, check into this thread- https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/digital-rearview-mirror-with-truck-cap.3187/post-76894
It discusses moving the camera to the back of a shell, but same concept for a trailer.
I.m trying to do this on my 2021 and I got fakra cables and 2 cameras part # from that thread, one for my camper and one for the trailer just having trouble finding a camera housing like thread 105 and a bumper connector, do you think that the 2022 kit parts will come available separately like the camera housing and the plug in that kit looks like its a coax connector for the bumper, is that an adapter ? and the cable looks bigger, maybe should buy a couple of those kits, the cables I got were fairly cheap but up here those cameras were $200 each, i can only imagine what those kits cost and when they would come available

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like perhaps one can still attach an AUX2 analog camera to the trucks with the Surround View.

Just speculation based on this image I captured.

1635202020501.png

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
It looks like perhaps one can still attach an AUX2 analog camera to the trucks with the Surround View.

Just speculation based on this image I captured.

View attachment 24239

Yes. The trailer surround view CVPM uses the aux 1 camera input, and is enabled in the BCM with the VehConfig 8: Aux Trailer Camera setting. That means that the trailer surround view system should also work on pre-2022 trucks, as long as the UC5 swap goes off without a hitch.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. The trailer surround view CVPM uses the aux 1 camera input, and is enabled in the BCM with the VehConfig 8: Aux Trailer Camera setting. That means that the trailer surround view system should also work on pre-2022 trucks, as long as the UC5 swap goes off without a hitch.

What about the individual camera selection for the trailer surround (assuming there is one)?

Do you expect that's just going to be a part of the UC5 radio module if the sales code is enabled?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
What about the individual camera selection for the trailer surround (assuming there is one)?

Do you expect that's just going to be a part of the UC5 radio module if the sales code is enabled?
The UC5 is what handles that, which is why it is necessary for trailer surround. When it sees that the BCM is configured for VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera AND regular surround view, it will populate the Trailer Surround Camera and Aux 2 soft keys in the More Cams menu.
F95C8DF7-734A-4579-B350-DEFC0FF2222B.jpeg
If the UC5 sees the BCM as configured for VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera, but NOT regular surround view, then it will populate the Aux 1 and Aux 2 camera soft keys instead. The manual explains that regular surround view is necessary for trailer surround view, and if you have regular surround view, you can’t have both aux trailer cameras.

Ickabod

Reaction score
The UC5 is what handles that, which is why it is necessary for trailer surround. When it sees that the BCM is configured for VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera AND regular surround view, it will populate the Trailer Surround Camera and Aux 2 soft keys in the More Cams menu.
View attachment 24249
If the UC5 sees the BCM as configured for VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera, but NOT regular surround view, then it will populate the Aux 1 and Aux 2 camera soft keys instead. The manual explains that regular surround view is necessary for trailer surround view, and if you have regular surround view, you can’t have both aux trailer cameras.

So, in this configuration, where would you plug in the Aux2 camera?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So, in this configuration, where would you plug in the Aux2 camera?
Ultimately, pins 19,26,&27 on the blue radio connector. These circuits go to pins 7,11,&12 on the 12-way trailer connector, which is the same as the 2020-2021’s. Schematics don’t show the wiring for “kits”, so until someone that takes delivery of a trailer surround view truck can posts pictures of the kit like the other member did for the tow mode camera, we’ll have to see if there’s a breakout pigtail on the main trailer surround view harness to plug in an analog aux camera.

MrWellman

Reaction score
Great info guys. I just took delivery of my 22 cab/chassis with all the camera options. I'm trying to get my tow mode working on my digital rear view. Since I do not have a bed, the lead to the rear bumper was in the upfit kit in a bag but it has no instructions for the truck connection. I thought I found the connection on the rear lower drivers side of the cab but wired it all up to this connection and still not working. 1, where is the correct connection location for the bumper lead ? 2 what connects to this plug coming out of the cab corner. Thanks

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info guys. I just took delivery of my 22 cab/chassis with all the camera options. I'm trying to get my tow mode working on my digital rear view. Since I do not have a bed, the lead to the rear bumper was in the upfit kit in a bag but it has no instructions for the truck connection. I thought I found the connection on the rear lower drivers side of the cab but wired it all up to this connection and still not working. 1, where is the correct connection location for the bumper lead ? 2 what connects to this plug coming out of the cab corner. Thanks

If possible, could you take pics and add them to the thread so that we can see what you’re working with? Also part numbers would be helpful if they have them on bagged kits. Jimmy is going to be your man on this one….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drozdster

Reaction score
I just want to make sure before I order a 2022 2500 Big Horn. I just want the XH7 Trailer Camera (is it digital) and the Digital Rearview Mirror. Will I get the Fakra connection on the truck for the camera included with the XH7 option? If not, how do I make sure I get this connection? Thanks!

MrWellman

Reaction score
If possible, could you take pics and add them to the thread so that we can see what you’re working with? Also part numbers would be helpful if they have them on bagged kits. Jimmy is going to be your man on this one….

Here is the jumper that came in a baggy by itself. It's a coaxial with fakra connectors. I guessing was about 15ft long.
6e5bdc78fa925c3f4e1d5220fa0be493.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MrWellman

Reaction score
Here is the jumper that came in a baggy by itself. It's a coaxial with fakra connectors. I guessing was about 15ft long.
6e5bdc78fa925c3f4e1d5220fa0be493.jpg

Here is the fakra connection that comes out of the back of my cab, rear driver side. I plugged into this and ran the lead to the rear and plugged into the trailer camera socket.
0ca9ddd07199b771ff793a7159eda8d2.jpg
caf38a95cc9a48933a3c4aac95f3d883.jpg
f274ec879a7ebf003b38f3dea76a0523.jpg

MrWellman

Reaction score
I believe this is the baggy that contains the coaxle and socket kit. But not 100% sure.
86f468232ec5c9efbf50ccffe3929e0c.jpg

MrWellman

Reaction score
Mistory solved! Had a bent tab in the trailer camera plug. The tab was bent inward touching the centerpost. Straightened it out and the trailer camera came alive in the rear view mirror.
0ea174929ff384caab32b8a65391592e.jpg

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
Well truck is ordered and I told them to get me an extra rear camera plug so I cab put it in the bed for my fifth wheel.

Attachments

• 18687.jpeg
    18687.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 41

Drozdster

Reaction score
I've been going nuts reading all these threads and talking with the dealer and I'm still not sure what options to order to make sure the digital rearview mirror works in tow mode with a camera on the rear of the 5th wheel. The dealer is saying XFQ which I don't think is right. This is my first Ram, not sure why it is so confusing.

Do I just need XH7? The dealer never even mentioned this. Does it come with a camera? Is the wire long enough to do a 29' 5th?

Please, can someone guide me here? This thread is the closest I've found that deals with this question and I'm sure someone here has the answer. It is for a 2022 2500 Big Horn.
Thanks.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been going nuts reading all these threads and talking with the dealer and I'm still not sure what options to order to make sure the digital rearview mirror works in tow mode with a camera on the rear of the 5th wheel. The dealer is saying XFQ which I don't think is right. This is my first Ram, not sure why it is so confusing.

Do I just need XH7? The dealer never even mentioned this. Does it come with a camera? Is the wire long enough to do a 29' 5th?

Please, can someone guide me here? This thread is the closest I've found that deals with this question and I'm sure someone here has the answer. It is for a 2022 2500 Big Horn.
Thanks.

As far as I understand it, if you want the digital rearview trailer camera you either have to:

A) order a truck with the digital “tow mode digital rearview mirror package”

Or

B) order a truck with a package that includes the digital rearview mirror and then add the “wired tow mode camera” option

The XFQ option is the 12 pin wiring harness which is used for auxiliary cameras and the new Trailer Surround View camera system (XN1). This is a completely separate system than the XH7 tow mode digital rearview camera.

sludge

Reaction score
I am also ordering a chassis cab and would like the tow mode camera. Can you post a picture of your build sheet with the sales codes so I can see what you ordered? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread