Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Hi All, first off to all the contributors on this topic thank you very much because Lord knows the dealer @31Dodge here in Kernersville NC doesn't know how to help. I don't know that it's necessarily the fault of the people in the dealership so much as how complicated the ordering/specifier process is at RAM these days but in either case without ya'll I'd be up a creek so I really appreciate it. I believe I'll need some future help from @Jimmy07 as I understand it to get this across the line.

I'm putting my notes here on the project both to have somewhere to keep them all straight for myself as well as for a resource for others assuming I've got it all right.

My '23 RAM 3500 Limited was supposed to be ordered by the dealer with the digital rearview and the 360 trailer camera option and trailer TPMS. It certainly didn't show up with all these parts. attachment 00 below for build

Unfortunately, because of the recall on the heater grid I was unable to take delivery of my truck until the 1st week of March and had to leave 5 days later for a job in Vegas (towing my RV with no cameras) where I've been until the end of 23. Was alot of fun burning diesel for the heck of it to get enough miles on there truck in the proper recommended break in sequence from the dealer and then towing the RV as recommended for the breakin sequence with the Aisin in those 5 days before hooking up the 5th wheel and heading west. Let me tell you that! lol But I got it done, got my project done out west and now that I'm back home and able to do so I'm trying to get the camera situation sorted.

I have ordered the following hard parts for the truck and trailer:
attachment 01
82216068AD Dealer Recommended Wired trailer camera kit (intending to use inside toyhauler area of 5th wheel RV so I can see if there are any issues.
attachment 02

EDIT 2024.01.06 - Will be returning this kit as the image quality is indeed poor and additionally its either/or functionality occupying the 12 pin connection is a no-go as I'd rather have the 360 than it in all circumstances.

82216421ab-001 site recommended 360 trailer surround kit
attachement 03
- 68548180AA Coaxial cable - extra of the extension cable male to female that comes in the 82216421ab-001 kit as I need it a little longer to put the 360 box where I want it inside the camper
attachment 04 / 05 / 06
68527599AA site recommended DRVM camera kit to connect to trailer connector to the left of the license plate on the rear bumper currently (will relocate into bed next to also relocated 12/7 pin plugs using 82216066AB kit)
attachment 07 EDIT 2024.01.05 CORRECT PART NUMBER IS 68586112AA. Dealer is going to try and order me this camera with a '24 model truck and hope that its compatible between '24 and '23'.
- Amazon sourced digital cable for DRVM camera 5M - recommended via this video
attachment 08
68509331AB Gateway module with 04896196AA bracket and 6504521 Push Pins as I dug under the dash and found that I had the two open connectors but no gateway module installed.

I have the Banks iDASH unit installed currently on the truck. Additionally, I have ordered the following tools to execute this madness:
attachment 09
OBDlink EX connector since I own nothing Android and therefore assume it would be best to use my Windows computer
attachment 10 / 11
KAOdTech security bypass that I plan to install as shown below
attachment 12
AlfaOBD software license - as I understand it, once the gateway is installed, the bypass cable is installed, the OBD link EX is connected I need to give @Jimmy07 some data from the readout I get on my PC so that he can help me further. Correct?

Other questions:

QUESTION 1- it isn't clear to me where the bracket and gateway module are supposed to mount. Is it here? attachment 13

QUESTION B What should I do about the 12/7 pin plug in the bumper? Should I buy an additional one to move into the bed or should I just put a standard 7 pin in the bumper since I'll never use a backup camera with a bumper pull?
If it's recommended from anyone with experience to leave the factory 12/7 connector in the bumper can someone give me that actual part number?

ANSWERED 2024.01.06 - PART NUMBER 82216066AB included and additional 12/7 plug and housing so i'll move the cable behind the 12 pin up to inside rear driver bed but leave the plug in bumper.

QUESTION 3: My understanding is that I may need some module to use the wired camera kit (attachment 01) camera under the AUX2 button. If someone has that part number I'd appreciate it.

Anyone having any input on what if anything about is incorrect please chime in or if you have experience that it's correct that's welcome also. Otherwise I hope this is helpful to the group and I'll post progress as it happens.

Attachments

• 00 BuildSheetServlet.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 KAOdTech security bypass.png
    10 KAOdTech security bypass.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 09 OBDlink EX.png
    09 OBDlink EX.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 08 Gateway order.png
    08 Gateway order.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 07 Extension cable 5M for DRVM.jpg
    07 Extension cable 5M for DRVM.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 06 12pin to bed relocation bracket.PDF
    327.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 05 DRVM_12 pin connector.png
    05 DRVM_12 pin connector.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 04 DRVM Camera Kit.png
    04 DRVM Camera Kit.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 03 Cable extension 360 cam between 12 pin and cam box.png
    03 Cable extension 360 cam between 12 pin and cam box.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 02 360trailer camera kit.png
    02 360trailer camera kit.png
    669.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

StadlerMat

Reaction score
attachments 01/ 11 / 12 / 13

Attachments

• 11 Connector for security bypass.jpg
    11 Connector for security bypass.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 12 AlfaOBD software.png
    12 AlfaOBD software.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 13 location for gateway.jpg
    13 location for gateway.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 01 wired camera kit.jpg
    01 wired camera kit.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 21

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Dang it. I just realized the DRVM camera is wrong isn’t it? I should have ordered the 68586112AA instead of the 68527599AA. But the correct camera more or less doesn’t exist for some reason according to RAM. @CortexM0 you seem to be the resident expert on such things. Is this correct?

Last edited:

CortexM0

Reaction score
Dang it. I just realized the DRVM camera is wrong isn’t it? I should have ordered the 68586112AA instead of the 68527599AA. But the correct camera more or less doesn’t exist for some reason according to RAM. @CortexM0 you seem to be the resident expert on such things. Is this correct?
If you have a 2023, then yes that is the wrong camera. The camera in the part you ordered is made by Gentex. Starting with the 2023 they switched to a system made by Magna. And unfortunately, the 2022 Gentex camera is not compatible with the 2023 Magna system. More details can be found in this thread: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tow-mode-camera-2022-vs-2023.13887/

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Yeah. That’s what I thought. Any input as to the rest of my plan is greatly appreciated. I reckon I just will wait until RAM finally figured out the DRW camera.

Does anyone know yet if the ‘24 models will have that same camera as the ‘23 models?

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Bump for a little help please to question 1 above.
QUESTION 1- it isn't clear to me where the bracket and gateway module are supposed to mount. Is it here? attachment 13

Can someone please post a slightly better picture than the one on the right in the attachment as to where the gateway module is supposed to mount? in the left of the attachment is where it looks like to me it would go but I'd love verification from someone who has one if possible please.

Attachments

• 13 location for gateway.jpg
    13 location for gateway.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 20

gprguy

Reaction score
I tried taking a picture of mine but it's too dark and crowded under there even with added lighting to get a picture. It was a bit of a nightmare to install. It does go on the top of one of those curved braces like you have highlighted.

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Been a hectic little bit but finally got time to install my gateway module and then open up Alfa to enable TSVCM. @Jimmy07 i went in under body computer - active diag - car config change then found TSVCM under cabinnet using the search feature and changed it from disabled to enabled. Finished the process and then powered the truck completely down, let it sit 10 minutes or so then put back to MAR setting and pulled up my aux camera screen expecting to see the trailer camera populate as I’d seen on other posts but mine still reads AUX1 AUX2. Reconnected to Alfa to check and it says this is saved into the system as enabled. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    965.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

unclelala

Reaction score
Kinda on subject, but is there a cargo camera replacement with better quality image and closer view than the oem that will fit in the same housing without modding ?
I asked the same question over at Ram Forum.com and got crickets for 3 weeks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda on subject, but is there a cargo camera replacement with better quality image and closer view than the oem that will fit in the same housing without modding ?
I asked the same question over at Ram Forum.com and got crickets for 3 weeks.

The digital camera that’s used when the 360° camera is optioned is excellent. Not sure if you can retro fit it thou.

StadlerMat

Reaction score
Cortex did a writeup on all of these things on this forum if you want specific details but short answer would be not UNLESS you wanted wait until the DRVM camera is available and install that in your cargo position instead of as a true DRVM camera

unclelala

Reaction score
The digital camera that’s used when the 360° camera is optioned is excellent. Not sure if you can retro fit it thou.
Mine is a 21, not sure if it is different but I have the 360° and I find the detail of the camera lacking. When backing the truck up to the king pin Im not getting a clear enough pic even with it on the closer mag. I have been putting a peice of tape in the middle of the middle back seat head rest to line it up.

Last edited:

unclelala

Reaction score
Cortex did a writeup on all of these things on this forum if you want specific details but short answer would be not UNLESS you wanted wait until the DRVM camera is available and install that in your cargo position instead of as a true DRVM camera
I went to Cortex post but it doesn't say anything about 21's or if the picture is clearer or not. I seen an RV channel where the guy replace the 3rd break/cargo camera in his Ford F450 and it seemed to be a substantial improvement.
I was hoping there was something specific for better picture quality and installation.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Mine is a 21, not sure if it is different but I have the 360° and I find the detail of the camera lacking. When backing the truck up to the king pin Im not getting a clear enough pic even with it on the closer mag. I have been putting a peice of tape in the middle of the middle back seat head rest to line it up.
The factory surround view and cargo cameras are the only cameras known to work with the CVPM (video processor). There are no aftermarket camera solutions for the digital cargo camera.

unclelala

Reaction score
The factory surround view and cargo cameras are the only cameras known to work with the CVPM (video processor). There are no aftermarket camera solutions for the digital cargo camera.
Thats disappointing, oh well thanks Jimmy07

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder if our images are the same quality.

The camera is night and day better than the one that was on my ‘18.

unclelala

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if our images are the same quality.

The camera is night and day better than the one that was on my ‘18.
Ill take a pic of the screen and post it here in the next while to let you see it although with my picture taking skills it probably won't be that telling. :(

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ill take a pic of the screen and post it here in the next while to let you see it although with my picture taking skills it probably won't be that telling. :(
Keep in mind if you’re going to start comparing image quality to others, there are many factors to take into account:
- The cargo camera on a surround view equipped truck is different than the one on a non surround view truck
- Radio software plays a role in the image quality
- And the radio itself plays a role- 8.4 non nav vs 8.4 with nav vs 12”, and then Uconnect 4 vs Uconnect 5 for those screen sizes.

unclelala

Reaction score
- And the radio itself plays a role- 8.4 non nav vs 8.4 with nav vs 12”, and then Uconnect 4 vs Uconnect 5 for those screen sizes.
Mine is U 4 with a 12 inch screen with the Harmon Kardon 17 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread