Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Reaction score
So I had some questions regarding the different tow / trailer camera options in my 2022 2500 Limited build.

[MOD: Questions answered in post 19 and 20]

I was clogging up the other “order” thread so I’m moving my questions over here to the towing section

I believe @Jimmy07 answered most of my questions brilliantly.

I was confused about:

Tow Mode Camera (Wired) $450 option

vs

Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera $515 option

@Jimmy07 explained:

“Tow Mode Camera (Wired) $450 option- this is the digital camera for the digital rear view mirror that you would attach to the back of a trailer, and plug into the bumper. It’s image will display in the rear view mirror only, and will be selectable between that camera, and the rear view mirror camera that is in the CHMSL.

Mopar Trailer Camera Wiring w/No Camera $515 option- this is the truck wiring prep for the aux trailer cameras 1&2 that have been offered for a few years now, and it would include the 12/7 way trailer connector. This option only preps the truck wiring itself to accept the trailer wiring kit, and has the feature for the aux cameras enabled in the radio. The camera kit with wiring that plugs into the 12 way connector is available separately.”

This pretty much cleared it up for me. I want the Tow Mode Camera (Wired) that is visible via the rear view mirror camera as I will be using this truck to tow a camper.

The second part of this equation is I still can’t figure out what camera is it that goes with this system and where the heck you buy the camera from. I’ve searched and can’t find it anywhere. I assume it’s user error and I don’t know what I’m searching for.

Lastly, how does the:

Trailer Surround View Camera System $995 Option play into this set up?

I thought this was part of the Limited Level 1 Equipment Group, but it is selectable as an independent option AND does not delete the Level 1 Equipment Group when selected which leads me to believe it is in fact an option unto itself.

I’m sure I want it. Just not sure what it does.

Thanks for the help. The options are bewildering at times.

This is only the second truck I’ve ever owned and my first Ram. I’ve been driving my 2011 Ford FX4 Ecoboost for the past 10 years and had planned to drive it another 4 years at least but the need arose for a new vehicle sooner so here we are. I plan on driving this truck for at least 15 years and want to make sure I order exactly what I want.
Do you by chance have this plug.??

Attachments

• 3631CEF2-2BF8-4FB2-93DF-0D762B2E9712.jpeg
    3631CEF2-2BF8-4FB2-93DF-0D762B2E9712.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 51

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
These instructions and part number?

Attachments

• 20230511_064221.jpg
    20230511_064221.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230511_064109.jpg
    20230511_064109.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 52

joeycamp

Reaction score
Can someone give me ideas how to route the camera wire for a 5th wheel. Or direct me to the post of some ideas. Pics would be awesome. Got the wire coming from underneath and my plug is by my license plate. As you can see in my pics, I tried using a spring but it’s still a mess. Maybe another spring?

Also where is your camera mounted? Mine is on center above my rear window of the camper. Thinking of lowering it and moving it to the passenger side some. My goal is to see vehicles coming up on my right to safely change lanes. The way it is now that ain’t happening.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    876.7 KB · Views: 41

Webracin

Reaction score
Can someone give me ideas how to route the camera wire for a 5th wheel. Or direct me to the post of some ideas. Pics would be awesome. Got the wire coming from underneath and my plug is by my license plate. As you can see in my pics, I tried using a spring but it’s still a mess. Maybe another spring?

Also where is your camera mounted? Mine is on center above my rear window of the camper. Thinking of lowering it and moving it to the passenger side some. My goal is to see vehicles coming up on my right to safely change lanes. The way it is now that ain’t happening.
Try this thread....

joeycamp

Reaction score
Try this thread....

Awesome thread. Thank you. Unfortunately I have only 1 week left for a NY to TN trip. My first long distance trip and only 2nd trip in my new 5th wheel. Lots going on before this trip but definitely going to do this.

On page 2 I see someone mount the camera very low. Unless I don’t have it tilted right I just don’t like where it is high up in the middle.

I responded to Tommyc on page 3 back in May to see how he attached it so it loops down for slack but no reply. I may try that for this trip somehow.

JLines

Reaction score
Awesome thread. Thank you. Unfortunately I have only 1 week left for a NY to TN trip. My first long distance trip and only 2nd trip in my new 5th wheel. Lots going on before this trip but definitely going to do this.

On page 2 I see someone mount the camera very low. Unless I don’t have it tilted right I just don’t like where it is high up in the middle.

I responded to Tommyc on page 3 back in May to see how he attached it so it loops down for slack but no reply. I may try that for this trip somehow.
I mounted mine center and same height as camera on tailgate of my Ram. As far as running the wire, fish it through the same area your trailer running lights so that it comes out in the same area of the pin box on your trailer. I haven't done that for the TPMS extension yet, but it will run in the same area. I already ran my trailer surround video through there as well.

joeycamp

Reaction score
I mounted mine center and same height as camera on tailgate of my Ram. As far as running the wire, fish it through the same area your trailer running lights so that it comes out in the same area of the pin box on your trailer. I haven't done that for the TPMS extension yet, but it will run in the same area. I already ran my trailer surround video through there as well.
I’m gonna mount it low like you did. Can you see traffic approaching on the passenger side like that? See it clearly for changing lanes? Don’t know if I’ll get to it for this upcoming trip tho.

Very tight where the wire goes through to the pin box. I believe I saw that the fitting comes off the camera wire but may still be tight in there. Another project for when I get back.

JLines

Reaction score
I’m gonna mount it low like you did. Can you see traffic approaching on the passenger side like that? See it clearly for changing lanes? Don’t know if I’ll get to it for this upcoming trip tho.

Very tight where the wire goes through to the pin box. I believe I saw that the fitting comes off the camera wire but may still be tight in there. Another project for when I get back.
I have driven in pretty heavy city traffic and have had no issue using combo of rear view camera on back of RV and my passenger side mirror to determine if it is safe to move over a lane. If the car I see in my side view mirror is same as in the rear view mirror and the distance appears good in the rear view, I signal and pull over. Love it over the wireless. Always seemed like the wireless would freeze or act up the most inappropriate times.

I use a wire snake. I'll push it through first and sometimes I have to try multiple times to find an area the snake pushes through more easily. A little trick I use with the snake is I will put the cable straight on with the snake and use electrical tape to tape about three to four inches of the cable onto the snake ... no bends and when I'm done wrapping the electrical tape it forms a nice smooth transition. If it hangs, be patient and pull the cable back a little if necessary if gets hung. Never pull too hard. Sometimes it helps to have someone feeding the cable as you pull it. For the rear view camera, you can remove the adapter that is on the end of the cable so it is only the coax connector you are pulling through. Hope this helps.

joeycamp

Reaction score
I have driven in pretty heavy city traffic and have had no issue using combo of rear view camera on back of RV and my passenger side mirror to determine if it is safe to move over a lane. If the car I see in my side view mirror is same as in the rear view mirror and the distance appears good in the rear view, I signal and pull over. Love it over the wireless. Always seemed like the wireless would freeze or act up the most inappropriate times.

I use a wire snake. I'll push it through first and sometimes I have to try multiple times to find an area the snake pushes through more easily. A little trick I use with the snake is I will put the cable straight on with the snake and use electrical tape to tape about three to four inches of the cable onto the snake ... no bends and when I'm done wrapping the electrical tape it forms a nice smooth transition. If it hangs, be patient and pull the cable back a little if necessary if gets hung. Never pull too hard. Sometimes it helps to have someone feeding the cable as you pull it. For the rear view camera, you can remove the adapter that is on the end of the cable so it is only the coax connector you are pulling through. Hope this helps.
Yes, helped a lot, thank you. Gonna use it as I got it for this trip but will do this when I get back.

jsalbre

Reaction score
If the 3.0 DRVM (GNQ) is used, there will be a camera processor, under the driver seat that the mirror cameras, CHMSL camera, and tow mode camera run through.
If the regular DRVM (GRG) is used, I’m not sure if the camera processor is still used for the CHMSL camera and tow mode camera.

I know I’m reviving an old thread here, but I was poking around my truck and discovered that the DRVM camera processor is in place under my driver’s seat, but I don’t have any DRVM at all. I wonder if it’s a side effect of having an early-build ‘23 that was originally listed as being standard with the DRVM.
IMG_2350.jpeg

Edit: NVM, that’s the regular CVPM. I was thinking it was behind the passenger kick panel, but that’s on 1500s.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I know I’m reviving an old thread here, but I was poking around my truck and discovered that the DRVM camera processor is in place under my driver’s seat, but I don’t have any DRVM at all. I wonder if it’s a side effect of having an early-build ‘23 that was originally listed as being standard with the DRVM.
View attachment 60890

Edit: NVM, that’s the regular CVPM. I was thinking it was behind the passenger kick panel, but that’s on 1500s.
That’s the CVPM for surround view cameras

sdownes80

Reaction score
Anyone here with a ‘22 looking for the wired camera kit? I have mine from my totaled ‘22 that never made it out of the bag (only had the truck 3 weeks). Can’t use it on my ordered replacement ‘23. Back up camera kit - Mopar (68527599AA). PM me if interested
Do you still have this

Christofo

Reaction score
Are there any aftermarket options available for the tow mode camera (68527599AA)?

$500-600 is ridiculous imo.

mountainears

Reaction score
Yes, used mine today. Always nice.

I don’t believe there is an aftermarket solution that leverages the factory equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ammdrew

Reaction score
ran through the channel that the market light wires are to the corner and then there was a channel down to bottom of the camper in the corner. just got lucky that those channels existed and they were large enough to pull the connectors through.

1ram

Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
View attachment 23335
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
View attachment 23338

Detail of the "truck" end of the cable.
View attachment 23339 View attachment 23340

Detail of the "camera" end of the cable.
View attachment 23341

Docking station, open (note closed/blank end)
View attachment 23343

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
View attachment 23344

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
View attachment 23345
Does RAM publish the PN for just the camera in the housing?

Users who are viewing this thread