Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

pacnw1963

Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, the digital rear view camera can't be viewed on the uconnect screen - just the mirror. I think there is a separate analog Parkview camera that can be shown on uconnect, and of course the surround cameras if you have it.

It'd be interesting to see if the repeater camera works with the non 3.0 digital mirror - since the normal digital mirror hasn't changed, that means it may be compatible with 2022's as well for those who need a longer cable.
That would be nice. @gator6 has a 42’ 5th wheel and found an extension on Amazon. Says it works pretty well, but does drop the signal some, probably because of the extension. I’m sure he can add more to this than I…whenever he stops galavanting all over the US enjoying retirement :D:D:D That was spoken in total jealousy and envy!!! GO Navy!

CortexM0

Reaction score
I've been looking into this and Jimmy has been providing great info as usual. From what I can see there's some conflicting information.

The older digital mirror (GRG) is the same part number in 2023 as in 2022, indicating that the old XH7 camera kit should work on a 2023.

However, the camera section of the body builder guide specifically says that the 2022 camera won't work on a 2023 (and vice versa), and there is a new XH7 kit for the 2023's with a new part number that has a longer cable that includes a repeater.

So either one of these things is wrong, or perhaps the guide is talking about the new DRVM 3.0 mirror (GNQ) needing the 2023 specific camera and just not calling that out specifically. I don't know if any customer trucks have been built with GNQ yet.
This is pure speculation, but there is one scenario that would allow both to be true. And that's if something has changed between the mirror and the bumper. For example, if the addition of the repeater to the camera changed the power requirements for the camera system, they could be doing some power injection after the mirror. Or it could be something as simple as they decided to use a different connector on the bumper.

Now that some 23's are actually getting delivered, I'm hoping to get answers soon.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This is pure speculation, but there is one scenario that would allow both to be true. And that's if something has changed between the mirror and the bumper. For example, if the addition of the repeater to the camera changed the power requirements for the camera system, they could be doing some power injection after the mirror. Or it could be something as simple as they decided to use a different connector on the bumper.

Now that some 23's are actually getting delivered, I'm hoping to get answers soon.
If the 3.0 DRVM (GNQ) is used, there will be a camera processor, under the driver seat that the mirror cameras, CHMSL camera, and tow mode camera run through.
If the regular DRVM (GRG) is used, I’m not sure if the camera processor is still used for the CHMSL camera and tow mode camera.

Rammark

Reaction score
I think we may have a winner! Thanks [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] , I’ll let you know how it fairs after my next move.

dde1d18e21837089ce01e3e038e29fe8.jpg

9677ea3a5066e5eb015a665df3d3dd0e.jpg

3f44cedfce359a6a35ff5a771e194380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rammark

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the part number is on this , or what this fitting is called?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.36.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 8.36.29 PM.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 30

buzzuti

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the part number is on this , or what this fitting is called?
I believe it is called a fakra connector.

more conversation around it here;

Ryn

Reaction score
I installed the trailer 360 camera system on my RV trailer, after routing the cable though the trailer, it took more cable than expected and now the rear camera cable is about 5 feet short of where I consider optimal. Does anyone know if there is cable extension available?

Ryan

pacnw1963

Reaction score
I installed the trailer 360 camera system on my RV trailer, after routing the cable though the trailer, it took more cable than expected and now the rear camera cable is about 5 feet short of where I consider optimal. Does anyone know if there is cable extension available?

Ryan
I know @gator6 was able to find one on Amazon. Do a search for his post on either this forum or the 2022 build forum for his post. I know it worked for the most part but cut out occasionally, but we think that was due to the added length, not the cable itself.

EDIT: go back to page 40 on this forum is where he posted it

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Ryan
This will work. You shouldn’t have any issues extending the trailer 360 camera cables since none of them are 50’+.
6 feet RG58 Fakra Z Male to Fakra Z Female RF Pigtail Coaxial Cable https://a.co/d/eVrtQjq

v30

Reaction score
Below is the schematic of trailer tow and trailer surround view camera. You can see that 10 wires will populate the 12-way trailer connector. Positions 1 & 6 is power and ground for the trailer CVPM, and/or Aux cameras 1 & 2. Positions 2 & 3 is CANbus IHS HI and LO for the trailer CVPM. Positions 8, 9, & 10 are for Aux camera 1. Positions 7, 11, & 12 are for Aux camera 2, OR video output from the trailer CVPM.

Here’s the schematic for the digital rear view mirror with tow mode camera. If you were to order a truck that only has the digital rear view mirror, and no tow mode camera, I’m not sure if the wiring for the tow mode camera will be on the truck, and if so, how many sections would be populated. If I had to guess, the headliner sections would be populated, but not the section that includes the bumper connector.
Do you have an updated link for these docs?

pacnw1963

Reaction score
Anyone here with a ‘22 looking for the wired camera kit? I have mine from my totaled ‘22 that never made it out of the bag (only had the truck 3 weeks). Can’t use it on my ordered replacement ‘23. Back up camera kit - Mopar (68527599AA). PM me if interested

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Anyone here with a ‘22 looking for the wired camera kit? I have mine from my totaled ‘22 that never made it out of the bag (only had the truck 3 weeks). Can’t use it on my ordered replacement ‘23. Back up camera kit - Mopar (68527599AA). PM me if interested
Any idea if it will work on a 19 with the camera prep kit / plug ?

pacnw1963

Reaction score
The kit he’s referring to is the wired tow mode camera for the digital rear view mirror.
Yep, that one…LOL. The digital rear view mirror was not an option this year unless you ordered the trailer group that included the stupid back up control knob and came with the digital mirror 3.0, and I needed auxiliary switches. Figured after 40+ years of backing up trailers I had it down.

pacnw1963

Reaction score

OOPS…I just discovered that I am not complying with the sales rules (particularity rule #5). I will comply tomorrow and post everything required. My apologies @Brutal_HO

Well, not 5 minutes after I posted my non-compliance post it sold. Thanks, I will still be trolling this thread! :cool:

Jdrsocal

Reaction score
I need help I ordered the Mopar trailer camera for my 2022 ram 3500 bighorn to be used with the digital rear view mirror with two camera connections. My truck needs the wiring from the mirror to the bumper and the bumper connector which I believe goes in the blank on the bumper any idea for part numbers

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 22

Webracin

Reaction score
Can't help with the part number, but it should be wired all the way to the back drivers side of the cab. You can check inside the mirror housing to see if both video connections have a cable.

If both video inputs are there, then you only need the cable that runs from the cab to the back of the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread