Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

ACEd

Reaction score
Tried to order 68525 632AA (wiring) ($43) and 68526 302AB (connector/housing) ($89) for 12 pin to bed but 68526 302AB on indefinite backorder
Already have the 7-pin splitter and wiring to bed in hand - just have to figure where to put with Ramboxes
Was successful in ordering 68508 681AA Tow Mode (Coax) socket assuming I can just relocate wiring from bumper as they say that one can not be split like the 7 pin wiring.
Corrected P/N

Last edited:

kkerley

Reaction score
Tried to order 68525 632AA (wiring) ($43) and 68526 302AB (connector/housing) ($89) for 12 pin to bed but 68526 302AB on indefinite backorder
Already have the 7-pin splitter and wiring to bed in hand - just have to figure where to put with Ramboxes
Was successful in ordering 68598 681AA Tow Mode (Coax) socket assuming I can just relocate wiring from bumper as they say that one can not be split like the 7 pin wiring.
I ordered 68526 302AB a few weeks ago and was also told it was on back order, got a shipment notification that it had been shipped yesterday, buymoparparts.com.
where did you get 68598 681AA from?

ACEd

Reaction score
and are you sure it is 68598 681AA or 68508 681AA?
You are correct - typo on my part - ordered thru my dealer (Bergeron CDJR New Orleans) - dont have it yet but showed available 3-4 days to me.

kkerley

Reaction score
You are correct - typo on my part - ordered thru my dealer (Bergeron CDJR New Orleans) - dont have it yet but showed available 3-4 days to me.
do you recall what they charged you? I haven't found that part available online but called my local dealer and they said it was backordered but it would be $97.85 which seems kinda steep for a coaxial connection

gator6

Reaction score
Big differences to me were
1. Longhorns dont have to get 20 inch wheels. 18 inch ride much better but not available on Limited
2. Better interior choices. Not super dark all black like my 2500 Limited and not too light Frost.

The interior (Black and Cattle Tan) was the big attraction to me. I saw a 1500 the other day with that interior and sat in it for nearly a half hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACEd

Reaction score
do you recall what they charged you? I haven't found that part available online but called my local dealer and they said it was backordered but it would be $97.85 which seems kinda steep for a coaxial connection
$112 - your price is better - yes steep but I dont have to pay $10 shipping

Biner

Reaction score
There should be 2 Tow Mode Digital Camera (wired) options - for $9xx you get the Camera and the Wiring which conflicts with Level 1 pkg that already has the wiring.
If you have Level 1, the one you want is the $4xx Camera only that is under Safety systems.
Either way it should be independent of the Trailer Surround Camera System which ties to the 12 pin connector.
Note there was (is?) an additional rear view camera that ties to the 12 pin connector but I believe it is only for backing
All the 12 pin setups run thru the 12 inch Uconnect display and I believe are limited to a timer and/or low
Did you look into the Longhorn when you switched? The camera options and tech options for that trim are the same as the Limited. Only difference between them is the interior colors and some changes to the exterior (grill, badge, door trim) but other than that they’re the same. You get a couple different features on the limited as standard but you can order a longhorn exactly the same in terms of tech. And then you get the brown interior.

I have all of the camera options on my truck except I messed up and forgot to order the trailer half of the (XH7) tow mode digital camera. At the time I ordered neither I, nor my salesman had any idea how all the new camera options worked, and we assumed (incorrectly) that the towing tech and trailer surround systems would supersede the tow mode camera. Now I’m stuck trying to find a kit for sale somewhere.

Does any understand the trailer tow camera options??? I built/ ordered and finally received a 3500 Laramie duely. Have the tow package with the rear view mirror camera opt. Now I’m trying to figure out what camera package to will work. I was told the surround camera package won’t work ??? Maybe the 4 camera package will??? Any one with knowledge in the matter is appreciated.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Does any understand the trailer tow camera options??? I built/ ordered and finally received a 3500 Laramie duely. Have the tow package with the rear view mirror camera opt. Now I’m trying to figure out what camera package to will work. I was told the surround camera package won’t work ??? Maybe the 4 camera package will??? Any one with knowledge in the matter is appreciated.
Have you read through this thread? It just seems like the same few members are explaining these cameras options over and over again in this thread.

ACEd

Reaction score
2 basic camera system options - first has multiple camera options viewed thru Uconnect screen only - this includes the 4 camera Trailer Surround system and an earlier single rear camera option - but you have to choose between Trailer Surround or Trailer Rear view. I dont have these but was told they are like the truck surround in that they only work for short duration (1o seconds or so) or at low speed (i,e, backing / parking). These use the 12 pin connector on right of license plate and depending on options, there may also be a 12 pin connector in bed on drivers side. None of these cameras will not work with the Digital Rear View system below.

The other camera (designed to be used as a Trailer Rear View mounted to top of back of trailer) can operate full time (based on selection of either Truck Rear View or Trailer Rear View). It displays in the Digital RearView Mirror only and uses a coax connector on left side of license plate (not in bed regardless of options which is a pain for us gooseneck people). This camera system is unique and on back order - if you did not order with truck you may be out of luck for a while. The part number for the Tow Mode Digital Camera MAY BE 68527 599AA or POSSIBLY 68526 533AA. But suggest you dig thru this thread as others can verify or correct this P/N.

My understanding is NO other non-MOPAR cameras will work with either system.

kkerley

Reaction score
$112 - your price is better - yes steep but I dont have to pay $10 shipping
found it on multiple parts sites today, just googled mopar 68508681AA, lowest I saw was $64.92

gator6

Reaction score
I feel like I could record a YouTube video on this and people would still ask the same questions.

I asked the questions months ago and know they were answered, but I can’t follow the thread consistently enough. I end up a bit confused. All I know is I ordered a fully loaded Longhorn and requested the wired camera AND trailer surround camera. It might be not work on my 44’ Fuzion, it might be overkill, either way I know there is enough knowledge here to get it working on something.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I asked the questions months ago and know they were answered, but I can’t follow the thread consistently enough. I end up a bit confused. All I know is I ordered a fully loaded Longhorn and requested the wired camera AND trailer surround camera. It might be not work on my 44’ Fuzion, it might be overkill, either way I know there is enough knowledge here to get it working on something.

Did you request the tow mode camera which views from the digital mirror or the auxiliary camera which plugs into the 12 pin and views from the UC screen? If you have the trailer surround you can't hook up the auxiliary camera at the same time. They both plug into the same 12 pin. The tow mode will plug into the coax type plug in.

gator6

Reaction score
Did you request the tow mode camera which views from the digital mirror or the auxiliary camera which plugs into the 12 pin and views from the UC screen? If you have the trailer surround you can't hook up the auxiliary camera at the same time. They both plug into the same 12 pin. The tow mode will plug into the coax type plug in.

I’m going to apologize because y’all have been back and forth on this topic for awhile now and I’ve stepped away. This is what I’ve ordered: XN1 and XH7.

If I have to get a Bluetooth rear view camera for the 5er so be it. I’ve got the car hauler something can get put on as well.

Has anyone discussed the TTPMS system yet? I’ve heard it two ways: you get 4 sensors / 6 sensors. Can anyone with experience elaborate on the truth?

784337e6c2f2deafef7fc607d691a1cc.jpg

ACEd

Reaction score
I’m going to apologize because y’all have been back and forth on this topic for awhile now and I’ve stepped away. This is what I’ve ordered: XN1 and XH7.

If I have to get a Bluetooth rear view camera for the 5er so be it. I’ve got the car hauler something can get put on as well.

Has anyone discussed the TTPMS system yet? I’ve heard it two ways: you get 4 sensors / 6 sensors. Can anyone with experience elaborate on the truth?

784337e6c2f2deafef7fc607d691a1cc.jpg
From the Eq List, you will have the Tow Mode Digital camera that displays in Digital Rear View Mirror and mounts on back of trailer to serve as full time (switchable to Truck rear view) Rear View (behind trailer) mirror (coax on left of license plate - nothing in bed and no easy ways to put in bed)

You will also have the Trailer Surround View which operates on command for short duration (10 seconds?) or at low speed for maneuvering (not full time) and displays in the Uconnect screen. It will connect to the 12 pin connector on right of license plate and should have a connector in bed on left side paired with the standard 7 pin connector. It will require under the truck connector swap if you want to change from bumper 12 pin to bed 12 pin or vice versa.

Trailer TPMS will get you a package of 4 sensors with medium length metal stems. The truck can handle up to 12 sensors (3 dual axles) and you can buy the sensors from MOPAR in packs of 4. You can buy aftermarket metal stems (assuming you get correct ones) that are longer or shorter (not sure but probably can get bent stems for duals) that are compatible with attached sensors.

The truck can handle Camera and TTPMS sensors for multiple trailers (up to 3 trailers if I recall correctly) but you would have to buy multiple cameras and sensors to configure multiple trailers (may get by with multiple wiring harness and swap single Trailer Rear View camera) Camera kits are backordered (only available with trucks right now as I understand it, but they should eventually be available thru MOPAR). As I understand it NO aftermarket cameras are compatible with the truck systems at aleast at present time.

gator6

Reaction score
From the Eq List, you will have the Tow Mode Digital camera that displays in Digital Rear View Mirror and mounts on back of trailer to serve as full time (switchable to Truck rear view) Rear View (behind trailer) mirror (coax on left of license plate - nothing in bed and no easy ways to put in bed)

You will also have the Trailer Surround View which operates on command for short duration (10 seconds?) or at low speed for maneuvering (not full time) and displays in the Uconnect screen. It will connect to the 12 pin connector on right of license plate and should have a connector in bed on left side paired with the standard 7 pin connector. It will require under the truck connector swap if you want to change from bumper 12 pin to bed 12 pin or vice versa.

Trailer TPMS will get you a package of 4 sensors with medium length metal stems. The truck can handle up to 12 sensors (3 dual axles) and you can buy the sensors from MOPAR in packs of 4. You can buy aftermarket metal stems (assuming you get correct ones) that are longer or shorter (not sure but probably can get bent stems for duals) that are compatible with attached sensors.

The truck can handle Camera and TTPMS sensors for multiple trailers (up to 3 trailers if I recall correctly) but you would have to buy multiple cameras and sensors to configure multiple trailers (may get by with multiple wiring harness and swap single Trailer Rear View camera) Camera kits are backordered (only available with trucks right now as I understand it, but they should eventually be available thru MOPAR). As I understand it NO aftermarket cameras are compatible with the truck systems at aleast at present time.

As always, you’re the man! Very detailed report and I appreciate it. I’m coming from an ‘06 2500 SLT so in reality I’m just pleased as punch to have leather seats, everything else is a plus!

My 5er is a triple axle, so I guess I’ll be looking for a couple more stems.

ACEd

Reaction score
As always, you’re the man! Very detailed report and I appreciate it. I’m coming from an ‘06 2500 SLT so in reality I’m just pleased as punch to have leather seats, everything else is a plus!

My 5er is a triple axle, so I guess I’ll be looking for a couple more stems.

P.S. I just noticed you have the Max Tow option - that may or may not make a difference on what connectors you get in bed - I would be interested to see if it might have the Coax setup for Tow Mode digital camera in bed in addition to the 7&12 pin setup. I kind of doubt it as no one else seems to have coax anywhere except rear bumper (pain!).
Please post photo if you have coax in bed.

gator6

Reaction score
P.S. I just noticed you have the Max Tow option - that may or may not make a difference on what connectors you get in bed - I would be interested to see if it might have the Coax setup for Tow Mode digital camera in bed in addition to the 7&12 pin setup. I kind of doubt it as no one else seems to have coax anywhere except rear bumper (pain!).
Please post photo if you have coax in bed.

Whenever I take custody I will post pics. I’m sure though that others will have their’s well before I receive mine.

Users who are viewing this thread