Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm happy with the answer that I will for sure have the digital mirror and and bumper connector... but, I'm confused where you say to 'go all the way down' past the packages and tires/wheels to add the cameras... I don't seem to have anything past the packages as an option when configuring the LIMITED. It ends at packages (see my screenshot above). If I add the wired tow camera, it removes the Level 1. But there is nowhere else (like you're suggesting) to add the camera. Is there another build site I should be using besides the ram trucks.com one?

It's in the interior option section.

1643678406510.png

Forgot the bed step ( and the 50 gal tank didn't select the first time.) Added night edition.

freaking $95K.

masterbeat

Reaction score
I had no difficulty selecting the camera and keeping Level 1.

Don't pick this:

View attachment 31191

Thank you! I started the build over from scratch and this time the site loaded showing ALL the options all the way down. Somehow in the previous build configurator I had gotten stuck in a version of the configurator that takes you 'screen by screen' through the options, and it ended with the packages, I never got to see the exterior, lighting, cameras, all those options, it just ended at packages and that is why I was baffled. Now that I'm in what appears to be a different configurator, you're right, I can add it. Geez that was a rabbit hole of hours wasted. Depending on where you start the build on the RAM site, it takes you to different configurators....

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm happy with the answer that I will for sure have the digital mirror and and bumper connector... but, I'm confused where you say to 'go all the way down' past the packages and tires/wheels to add the cameras... I don't seem to have anything past the packages as an option when configuring the LIMITED. It ends at packages (see my screenshot above). If I add the wired tow camera, it removes the Level 1. But there is nowhere else (like you're suggesting) to add the camera. Is there another build site I should be using besides the ram trucks.com one?

Must be your browser or device.

Phil T

Reaction score
I have been scratching my head over the Ram Truck configurator as well. I want a Laramie 3500 to upgrade my 2019 and there is no place to select the Trailer View 360. And what is this little option for the third brake light with cargo view? My 2019 has the 360 surround view and that is already a part of that. When you configure the Laramie, no where does it show the truck surround view. If you configure the Limited, it shows. Some web developer at RAM is smoking crack during working hours.

Look at this saved configuration and see if you can spot what I am talking about.

ACEd

Reaction score
There should be 2 Tow Mode Digital Camera (wired) options - for $9xx you get the Camera and the Wiring which conflicts with Level 1 pkg that already has the wiring.
If you have Level 1, the one you want is the $4xx Camera only that is under Safety systems.
Either way it should be independent of the Trailer Surround Camera System which ties to the 12 pin connector.
Note there was (is?) an additional rear view camera that ties to the 12 pin connector but I believe it is only for backing
All the 12 pin setups run thru the 12 inch Uconnect display and I believe are limited to a timer and/or low speed

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been scratching my head over the Ram Truck configurator as well. I want a Laramie 3500 to upgrade my 2019 and there is no place to select the Trailer View 360. And what is this little option for the third brake light with cargo view? My 2019 has the 360 surround view and that is already a part of that. When you configure the Laramie, no where does it show the truck surround view. If you configure the Limited, it shows. Some web developer at RAM is smoking crack during working hours.

Look at this saved configuration and see if you can spot what I am talking about.

I saw that. Perhaps the dealer can configure the 360° and/or add the trailer surround camera? There have been some package/feature removals for 22, even more so than the 21's. There's been more than a few Laramie buyers that had to step up to a Limited to get what they wanted. I believe a lot of it has been the removal of power folding mirrors that contain the cameras and they're all reserved for Limited builds.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I saw that. Perhaps the dealer can configure the 360° and/or add the trailer surround camera? There have been some package/feature removals for 22, even more so than the 21's. There's been more than a few Laramie buyers that had to step up to a Limited to get what they wanted. I believe a lot of it has been the removal of power folding mirrors that contain the cameras and they're all reserved for Limited builds.
I'm one of those that had to cancel the Laramie package and went to the Limited. The power fold mirrors and truck 360 were deal breakers after having them on my 2020. That being said, my salesman was not informed on what all the camera options were therefor I didn't order the trailer parts for the surround or the tow camera. BIG MISTAKE. I am one who definitely wants them. I have been able to purchase the 4 camera trailer surround package from another person who didn't want his, but to date I find it impossible to order/find the tow camera package separately. MAKE SURE that you order them. The price is what the price is, probably won't come down and who knows when they will be available as a separate purchase item. Thanks to all the info I've picked up from this forum and specifically this thread I am expecting to have both appropriate plug ins in my rear bumper. Still waiting on the truck sitting in Mexico for the last 8 days waiting on a ride north.

Phil T

Reaction score
I hope that those options aren't reserved for the limited because I don't like the seat colors. My preference is Light frost beige/ Mountain Brown. The limited is just hype for much more $$$$.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that those options aren't reserved for the limited because I don't like the seat colors. My preference is Light frost beige/ Mountain Brown. The limited is just hype for much more $$$$.

Not really.

If you spec out a Laramie and a limited with the same options you’ll be within a few grand of each other and you end up with a nicer interior with better leather on the seats, better headlights, a nicer exterior, and more convenience options as standard. A lot of the good tech that you have to pay for in the Laramie trim is standard in the limited / limited longhorn.

Also, if you like the brown, you can get a limited longhorn as it is a limited trim and will have all the tech features they cut on the laramies also. They offer the mountain brown / light mountain brown interior with or without the filigree stitching. Light
Mountain brown isn’t far from the frost beige interior and it doesn’t show the dirt as easily.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampingup

Reaction score
Just for a clarification, my equipment sheet and window sticker say "Frost" on the seats. Is this different than the light mountain brown interior which you show?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for a clarification, my equipment sheet and window sticker say "Frost" on the seats. Is this different than the light mountain brown interior which you show?

In terms of interiors:

Frost is a Limited color option
Light Frost Beige is a laramie color option
Light Mountain Brown is a Longhorn option

My truck is a Longhorn and my equipment listing lists “Mountain Brown / Light Mountain Brown”

Rampingup

Reaction score
On closer look, my Limited shows Indigo/Frost. We really liked the brown/light brown interior, but it wasn't on the Limited which had the issue w/cameras etc. Tech won out over color. Still I think that brown collection is really nice.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
On closer look, my Limited shows Indigo/Frost. We really liked the brown/light brown interior, but it wasn't on the Limited which had the issue w/cameras etc. Tech won out over color. Still I think that brown collection is really nice.

Did you look into the Longhorn when you switched? The camera options and tech options for that trim are the same as the Limited. Only difference between them is the interior colors and some changes to the exterior (grill, badge, door trim) but other than that they’re the same. You get a couple different features on the limited as standard but you can order a longhorn exactly the same in terms of tech. And then you get the brown interior.

I have all of the camera options on my truck except I messed up and forgot to order the trailer half of the (XH7) tow mode digital camera. At the time I ordered neither I, nor my salesman had any idea how all the new camera options worked, and we assumed (incorrectly) that the towing tech and trailer surround systems would supersede the tow mode camera. Now I’m stuck trying to find a kit for sale somewhere.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly why I skipped the Longhorn. It looks great. If memory is correct the wife said to go for the gusto. You won't get another chance.:p

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly why I skipped the Longhorn. It looks great. If memory is correct the wife said to go for the gusto. You won't get another chance.:p

To get a Limited Longhorn (nearly) up to the Limited;

Have to add chrome tow hooks
Have to add ALL the packages (L1 and tow tech if you just want 360°)
If you want the digital mirror you then have to add that or the Safety group that adds lane keep/steering, FCW, ACC, BS, and then add the external camera
Have to add 20" wheels if desired
Adding 20" wheels kills snow chief option (then have to add all options separate)
No Night Edition available (of course)

So then about the same price as Limited, actually a bit more I think.

Rampingup

Reaction score
I ordered Tow Tech and Safety Group. When talking to salesman the only difference he said was the 17 speaker radio verses the 9 speaker and I couldn't justify $1700 for just the speakers. I'd say he missed something. I didn't really want 20" tires, would have preferred 18" but he said that meant the dually and I didn't need that. So it is what it is. I hope my inexperience helps someone else when ordering so they get the complete accurate information before ordering.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

If you want the digital mirror you then have to add that or the Safety group that adds lane keep/steering, FCW, ACC, BS, and then add the external camera
Adding 20" wheels kills snow chief option (then have to add all options separate)

Yep. Dead on.

Add all the tech stuff and DRW option and everything else but the sunroof
I was at $93k MSRP. Paid $83k before tax / tags / doc fee.

gator6

Reaction score
Here’s the option you want:
5f12ad371503fca532a8bcdd738b24f7.jpg

Yeah, I selected ALL of those

gator6

Reaction score
Thank you for the first part, but I think you're missing my dilemma above - whenever I try to select the "tow mode camera (wired)" it DELETES the Level 1 group. The build won't let me have both. The build / configurator system for the Limited only allows you to have the wired tow mode camera if you get rid of all the other bells and whistles. So my question is, is this a LIMITED build anomaly? Is the Ram configurator just not working properly and I should go to a dealer to see if they can do what you're describing? I know it makes sense to add both, but it won't let me.

Not sure if anyone has taken action on this, but I noticed all kinds of quirks when building vehicles. It’s all in the sequencing. I had trouble with packages and options canceling each other out until I played around with the order I selected them.

The hardest one I figured out AFTER ordering was getting rid of the chrome steps that are stock on a dually because they would’ve trumped my deployable steps in the Longhorn 1 pkg. Again, I figured out the sequence after I had emailed the dealer and they fixed it, but there is a work around.

ACEd

Reaction score

Big differences to me were
1. Longhorns dont have to get 20 inch wheels. 18 inch ride much better but not available on Limited
2. Better interior choices. Not super dark all black like my 2500 Limited and not too light Frost.

Users who are viewing this thread