Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Lary0071

Reaction score
Using the trailer backup camera port (drivers side of plate) does the trailer take power from that coaxial port as well as transmit the video feed, or do you need to run a unique power/ground to the camera and only transmit video by way of that coaxial port?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Using the trailer backup camera port (drivers side of plate) does the trailer take power from that coaxial port as well as transmit the video feed, or do you need to run a unique power/ground to the camera and only transmit video by way of that coaxial port?

The mirror powers the tow mode camera via the coax cable.

Lary0071

Reaction score
The mirror powers the tow mode camera via the coax cable.
Okay... so can we but a generic camera and cable and plug into that port to do a cheaper solution to the trailer backup camera? I don't want to spend $800 on a camera from Ram if I can call my buddies in China and get a $50 camera that will do the same thing.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Okay... so can we but a generic camera and cable and plug into that port to do a cheaper solution to the trailer backup camera? I don't want to spend $800 on a camera from Ram if I can call my buddies in China and get a $50 camera that will do the same thing.

No, aftermarket cameras won’t work on the digital rear view mirror display.

JimKIII

Reaction score
My 11/1/2021 2500 order was changed from Level 1 to Level A Equip Pkg due to power folding mirrors not being available. So standard mirrors will come on this truck. Can the power mirrors be easily installed later on when, if ever, they become available as add-on parts?

ACEd

Reaction score
My 11/1/2021 2500 order was changed from Level 1 to Level A Equip Pkg due to power folding mirrors not being available. So standard mirrors will come on this truck. Can the power mirrors be easily installed later on when, if ever, they become available as add-on parts?
Probably not easily as (1) need mechanisms - expensive if available; (2) need wiring - harness may or may not be there - if not need to figure a way to do wiring; (3) would need switch; (4) Switch is mounted in front of pwr window switch on door panel - need to cut hole for switch. May be able to kludge a switch and wiring, but personally I would only go factory setup.

matemike

Reaction score
What trim is your order? Laramie? Limited?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Probably not easily as (1) need mechanisms - expensive if available; (2) need wiring - harness may or may not be there - if not need to figure a way to do wiring; (3) would need switch; (4) Switch is mounted in front of pwr window switch on door panel - need to cut hole for switch. May be able to kludge a switch and wiring, but personally I would only go factory setup.
That's what I thought. I'll just go the old-time route and not even think of those new-fangled mirrors.

dsneill

Reaction score
No, aftermarket cameras won’t work on the digital rear view mirror display.
Jimmy07 do you know the part number for the Wired Trailer digital tow mode camera kit, and how long the coax cable is? I've read in this thread the limit is 50' but the kits length is 40' if that's all true can it by extended?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Yes, you can buy 2019-2022 power folding mirrors, door modules, and master door switch, and program them in. Direct plug n play swap out on the parts.

matemike

Reaction score
It's a Big Horn.
I wonder, and I mean can only wonder if you had ordered a Limited or Laramie then the power fold mirrors would NOT be a hold up. I say this because I wanted a Laramie in night edition and the way the Laramie computer talks to NE power mirrors was unavailable. Computer chip shortage would not allow that combo. But limited in NE was good to go since the limited computer already speaks the power fold mirror language. NE or not.
So my guess is that a Big Horn will not be allotted a computer capable of controlling power fold mirrors until this chip shortage is over. The limiteds and possibly even the laramies get first dibs on the computers that can handle power fold mirrors. Just a guess.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy07 do you know the part number for the Wired Trailer digital tow mode camera kit, and how long the coax cable is? I've read in this thread the limit is 50' but the kits length is 40' if that's all true can it by extended?
The kit part number is 68527599AA. Post from earlier in this thread-
Comes with 50’. I wouldn’t hesitate to add another 20’ if needed. I had about 80’ of RG174 coax cable lengths connected together when testing cameras for my surround view install, and didn’t notice any image degradation.

matemike

Reaction score
The kit part number is 68527599AA. Post from earlier in this thread-
Comes with 50’. I wouldn’t hesitate to add another 20’ if needed. I had about 80’ of RG174 coax cable lengths connected together when testing cameras for my surround view install, and didn’t notice any image degradation.
Saweet! I have a 33’ camper. (Truck tail gate to camper rear bumper) The 50’ cable should be long enough, even with a service loop and room for full turns. But knowing this, if I have to add a 5’ or 10’ additional length I could. It’s probably already been answered, but is it just regular coax cable?

Thatjonesboy_67

Reaction score
Has any one installed the tow mode camera? Specifically on fifth wheel campers? Just wonder the routeing technique?

MrHankbot

Reaction score
Besides the ability to enable it in AlfaOBD or by a dealer, is there anything to buy besides the camera package to get 360° Trailer view on a Limited that already has the 360° camera for the truck?

I ask because I'm still unclear about the security module mentioned previously.

dsneill

Reaction score
Saweet! I have a 33’ camper. (Truck tail gate to camper rear bumper) The 50’ cable should be long enough, even with a service loop and room for full turns. But knowing this, if I have to add a 5’ or 10’ additional length I could. It’s probably already been answered, but is it just regular coax cable?
i am investigating that now. Fakra connectors are color coded and keyed. i.e. black (type A) female to black male, water blue (type Z) female to water blue male etc. since the camera connector is black (type A) you will need an black male to female extension. i Have so far been able to find a US supplier of pre-made cables. Amazon has the type Z (water blue)

ACEd

Reaction score
Yes, you can buy 2019-2022 power folding mirrors, door modules, and master door switch, and program them in. Direct plug n play swap out on the parts.
Kit or Individual Parts? Cost?

matemike

Reaction score
It looks like the connector to go to the port on left side of license plate can be unscrewed from the cable itself then additional cable added with a male/male connector.

Attachments

• 743005A1-F4A4-47B1-BAC6-02E8F299DF38.jpeg
    743005A1-F4A4-47B1-BAC6-02E8F299DF38.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 74

ACEd

Reaction score
That's what I thought. I'll just go the old-time route and not even think of those new-fangled mirrors.
See other response - it may be easier than I would have thought.

Users who are viewing this thread