Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin down for the count….

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it very much. I’ll be curious to see when it was manufactured. We don’t have very many serials from the replacement transmissions yet.

I’m curious about this too. At some point since they know there’s issues there should be transmissions built that don’t have any. If the serial number guess is correct, mine was built in December. If his latest failure was also built in December it means I’m not out of the woods yet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam06

Reaction score
Is there a recall on the aisin transmission? Or are they waiting for parts?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a recall on the aisin transmission? Or are they waiting for parts?
There is no current recall for the K1 snap ring failure. Or at least, there is nothing officially confirmed. I have heard recently that dealers are being given “advance notice” of a pending recall on the issue, with lists of affected inventory and “orders” to repair the truck’s proactively, however there’s nothing but speculation on this as of yet.
The current method of repair for any Truck experiencing the K1 snap ring failure is to remove the transmission, tear it down and inspect all parts, and then order a “parts kit” that includes the primary components necessary to fix the issue that caused the failure (faulty snap ring). They may also order additional parts if there is extensive damage internally. From what I’ve seen, and heard, Ram will not approve a full transmission replacement at this point unless the damage exceeds 70% of the total transmission.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

ATS Allison Conversions - ATS Diesel​

www.atsdiesel.com/allison-conversion

First, if you're having trouble replying to posts on the forum because you're using links or trying to quote, so much so that you create multiple "spammy" posts, you should probably stick to simply posting a comment. No disrespect intended, but it was a huge mess to clean up.

Second, ATS is garbage and the ATS Allison conversion's have been hell for several truck owners. Those of us that are local to ATS here know what a sh*t company they are and how much their after the sale support sucks.

Cseybert

Reaction score
You would think with so many of these failing that there would be some pictures of the actual parts that fail. I mean every time you turn around there’s a picture of this a picture of that.

lordbond

Reaction score
My 2022 3500 Tradesman 4x4 is in the shop right now waiting for diagnosis. I was told it would be 2-4 weeks before they can tell me what is wrong but most likely will be replacing the transmission. I bought my truck 4 months ago and has 6169 miles on it and it failed over 500 miles from home on a camping trip. The whole ordeal cost me around $4000 to get the truck and fifth wheel home to San Diego from San Francisco. We had another trip planned for July but those plans seem to be cancelled. Looking on the web I see some trucks are on their 3rd or 4th transmission already. I'm not sure I would be able to trust my truck on another long trip. Or any trip for that matter.

When I got my truck home I tried to get Roadside assistance to tow my truck to the dealer to get it fixed and it cost me $235 to get it there because they said I needed to take it to a dealer. I was having them tow it to San Diego Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. When I called up customer care to get it towed they told me it was going to be $365 to get it towed to the same place. I went back and scheduled the tow through the app so I would only have to pay the $235. Dealer doesn't have any rental cars for me to use so I would have to pay for a rental out of my own pocket. Kinda hard to recommend RAM trucks to anyone at the moment. This is the second RAM truck in 2 years and both have had major issues in less than 8000 miles. My previous RAM was a 2021 Laramie that the AC compressor exploded in. It took 3 months to get a new one installed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2022 3500 Tradesman 4x4 is in the shop right now waiting for diagnosis. I was told it would be 2-4 weeks before they can tell me what is wrong but most likely will be replacing the transmission. I bought my truck 4 months ago and has 6169 miles on it and it failed over 500 miles from home on a camping trip. The whole ordeal cost me around $4000 to get the truck and fifth wheel home to San Diego from San Francisco. We had another trip planned for July but those plans seem to be cancelled. Looking on the web I see some trucks are on their 3rd or 4th transmission already. I'm not sure I would be able to trust my truck on another long trip. Or any trip for that matter.

When I got my truck home I tried to get Roadside assistance to tow my truck to the dealer to get it fixed and it cost me $235 to get it there because they said I needed to take it to a dealer. I was having them tow it to San Diego Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. When I called up customer care to get it towed they told me it was going to be $365 to get it towed to the same place. I went back and scheduled the tow through the app so I would only have to pay the $235. Dealer doesn't have any rental cars for me to use so I would have to pay for a rental out of my own pocket. Kinda hard to recommend RAM trucks to anyone at the moment. This is the second RAM truck in 2 years and both have had major issues in less than 8000 miles. My previous RAM was a 2021 Laramie that the AC compressor exploded in. It took 3 months to get a new one installed.
The A/C is not a “Major issue” do you have the HO engine?

mwilley22

Reaction score
Well, my 2022 3500 HO mega limited stranded me yesterday…
I pulled the trailer to the job site just fine. Truck was plugged in for about 3 hours before leaving, let it warm up about 5 minutes before I took off. If shifted normal, ran great.

Then I get into the truck after warming it up for 10 minutes, about 5 hours later. I go to shift into drive and get nothing. It’s like the truck is just in neutral. I go to reverse and that works fine, park works as well. Thinking it’s electrical I turn the truck off, wait a minute and start it up again. No change.

So I disconnect the batteries for 20 minutes (recommended by service advisor to try to reset the TCM). I reconnect and nothing changes. AND, I have no codes thrown at all. I mean none. Then I shifted to drive and with my foot on the brake reved the motor just a bit. With a loud clunk it went into gear. I didn’t let it move, shifted to reverse, another loud clunk. Then back to park and I called for a tow truck.

During the clunks the dash lit up light a tree this time of year… 4WD not available, limp mode see dealer, MIL light. Checked the codes (I’ll add to the post).

It only took 6 hours(!!!!) for the truck to come and take my baby to the doctor. Hoping she can be seen soon.

Has anyone had this issue or even something similar? I ordered my truck in November of ‘21 and finally took delivery August 15, 2022. I was worried a new tranny might come in ‘23 for people who think we need more gears, and I wanted the tried and tested Aisin. My truck has 5940 miles on it, I gave it the 500 mile wear-in before I towed with it, towed our 11k trailer a handful of times, a handful with a 10k loaded dump trailer and it pulls a 4k work trailer daily during the week. Should be no sweat for this beast.

I’ll update once the dealer gets back to me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same thing happened to me on Friday late afternoon, it's really embarrassing to have a brand new truck and be broke down on the side of the road. We took delivery of a new 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 diesel in February and a new 2023 Ram 5500 4x4 6.7 diesel in March. The 2022 Ram 3500 has 17k miles on it and did the same thing you explained. Now I have to call around to find the best dealership to take it to in the morning. Both of our local dealers said they haven't heard of any issues with these trucks ?!?!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me on Friday late afternoon, it's really embarrassing to have a brand new truck and be broke down on the side of the road. We took delivery of a new 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 diesel in February and a new 2023 Ram 5500 4x4 6.7 diesel in March. The 2022 Ram 3500 has 17k miles on it and did the same thing you explained. Now I have to call around to find the best dealership to take it to in the morning. Both of our local dealers said they haven't heard of any issues with these trucks ?!?!
If your truck has a K1 snap ring I’d like to get some info from you for the spreadsheet if you don’t mind.

If your dealer is unaware of the K1 snap ring problem by this point, they need to start reading service updates and service bulletins.

mwilley22

Reaction score
Hey there,

Did you get your truck back? We'd love to hear more about what happened and see if we can help! Would you mind sending us your VIN to get started?

Callie
Ram Cares
My new 2022 Ram 3500 did the same thing the OP described. VIN: 3C63R3EL9NG381428 Both of our local dealers said they haven't heard of any issues when I called on Friday. So tomorrow I'm going to call the dealer we bought our new 5500 off of and see what they say. Really don't want to be anyones guinea pig.

mwilley22

Reaction score
If your truck has a K1 snap ring I’d like to get some info from you for the spreadsheet if you don’t mind.

If your dealer is unaware of the K1 snap ring problem by this point, they need to start reading service updates and service bulletins.
No problem. What info do you need? I'm not sure if it has the K1 snap ring, how do I confirm? VIN is 3C63R3EL9NG381428
could you share the spreadsheet? mwilley22@gmail.com

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. What info do you need? I'm not sure if it has the K1 snap ring, how do I confirm? VIN is 3C63R3EL9NG381428
could you share the spreadsheet? mwilley22@gmail.com
No problem I’ll give you the list of questions I send to everyone with a K1 failure. I’ll also post a link to the public spreadsheet you’re welcome to take a look at. It includes all the trucks I’ve documented with this failure since January 10th of 2023. Ram recently upgraded their response to this problem in the form of “Customer Satisfaction Notification - 71A”. It’s basically an internal recall. The trucks that are at risk of experiencing the K1 failure (5,440 or so according to Ram) should be receiving notices in the mail. Did you get one?IMG_3646.jpeg

Here is a link to the TSB for this issue:

Here is a link to the publicly viewable spreadsheet that I have put together:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xg18aVlccuIj0u6cV4dmxSg0JCR8BoAduc8D8kZoFA0/edit?usp=sharing

Here are the questions I use to collect data from each owner experiencing this type of failure:

Confirm it is a 2022 or 2023 truck with the aisin AS69RC or AS66RC transmission?

1. Date you ordered them truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A?

Adam06

Reaction score
So just went to have my k1 recall done and dealership said they can’t do the recall due to incomplete parts on the list which is grease and asrc atf. They are one back order and Stellantis changed distribution company and don’t know how long to have it. He is the incomplete listIMG_2388.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So just went to have my k1 recall done and dealership said they can’t do the recall due to incomplete parts on the list which is grease and asrc atf. They are one back order and Stellantis changed distribution company and don’t know how long to have it. He is the incomplete listView attachment 63605
High temp grease can be sourced from any lubrication supplier. ASRC fluid is the same thing as Mobil 3309ATF. If they have everything else, tell them to get the substitute stuff and get the truck back together.

Users who are viewing this thread