Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin down for the count….

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Well, my 2022 3500 HO mega limited stranded me yesterday…
I pulled the trailer to the job site just fine. Truck was plugged in for about 3 hours before leaving, let it warm up about 5 minutes before I took off. If shifted normal, ran great.

Then I get into the truck after warming it up for 10 minutes, about 5 hours later. I go to shift into drive and get nothing. It’s like the truck is just in neutral. I go to reverse and that works fine, park works as well. Thinking it’s electrical I turn the truck off, wait a minute and start it up again. No change.

So I disconnect the batteries for 20 minutes (recommended by service advisor to try to reset the TCM). I reconnect and nothing changes. AND, I have no codes thrown at all. I mean none. Then I shifted to drive and with my foot on the brake reved the motor just a bit. With a loud clunk it went into gear. I didn’t let it move, shifted to reverse, another loud clunk. Then back to park and I called for a tow truck.

During the clunks the dash lit up light a tree this time of year… 4WD not available, limp mode see dealer, MIL light. Checked the codes (I’ll add to the post).

It only took 6 hours(!!!!) for the truck to come and take my baby to the doctor. Hoping she can be seen soon.

Has anyone had this issue or even something similar? I ordered my truck in November of ‘21 and finally took delivery August 15, 2022. I was worried a new tranny might come in ‘23 for people who think we need more gears, and I wanted the tried and tested Aisin. My truck has 5940 miles on it, I gave it the 500 mile wear-in before I towed with it, towed our 11k trailer a handful of times, a handful with a 10k loaded dump trailer and it pulls a 4k work trailer daily during the week. Should be no sweat for this beast.

I’ll update once the dealer gets back to me…
38e82c8c72a88544c9b3331b46eec4bb.png

14367c5631e4ab0692ea4d2baa558640.png

b055ab0f116d25d78f1c64b70f90f1e5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Reaction score
Depressing to say the least .

EK701

Reaction score
Broken sensor wire somewhere? I would look around for any wire that is obviously broken or damaged.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Valve body replacement is likely required

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
If ’’she bangs…she bangs’’ must be the self destruct wire thats a shorten. :oops:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Heard back from the dealer today. Apparently the main technician team notes that this is a known issue and the fix is to replace the transmission. I didn’t check to be sure it was a new tranny and not a rebuilt…I’ll call my service manager Monday and double check.

BUT, they are on back order and it’s expected in 45+ days. So I’m looking at 2 months without my truck. The truck I ordered and waited for for 10 months, and then drove for only 4 months. Ugh.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Broken sensor wire somewhere? I would look around for any wire that is obviously broken or damaged.

Yeah I checked all that. So did the dealer this morning when their techs looked at it. Just a freak thing I guess.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
A known issue? Wow, aisin has always made a quality transmission- I guess not anymore. I’d rather take me chances with the dodge trans and get the extra 2-3mpg from the SO Cummins

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
A known issue? Wow, aisin has always made a quality transmission- I guess not anymore. I’d rather take me chances with the dodge trans and get the extra 2-3mpg from the SO Cummins

The same tech that states that the 1st and R clutches are burned up also says that’s why the transfer case won’t shift. I’ll reserve judgement on this known issue that this tech is proclaiming.

At the end of the day anything made by man can fail, it’s the occurrence rate that matters.

I’d like to see a side by side where the SO consistently pulls 2-3 mpg more than the HO… don’t think you’ll find that real world test.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Known issue?? Known to whom? AS69RC has no known issues - a "known issue" implies something that happens fairly common and while they can fail it's not common.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Known issue… meaning they know that they have a bad batch of clutches. My techs say they think 1st gear clutch is to blame for the tranny not shifting to drive. But mine did shift in and out of 4WD. I’m not sure. I’ll keep everyone informed.

There are two trucks at my dealer needing a new Aisin right now including mine.

My service advisor called me yesterday to tell me that Chrysler escalated my case, so they hope to have a transmission there in the next week or so. Then I’ll just have to wait for a bay and it’s about a day and a half to swap her out.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
A known issue means it’s a common and recurring issue, not that they have diagnosed a single failure.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Is 22nd the year they bumped up the HO power output? There were a few small transmission updates due to this power bump, hopefully whatever it is does not affect the earlier model years.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is 22nd the year they bumped up the HO power output? There were a few small transmission updates due to this power bump, hopefully whatever it is does not affect the earlier model years.
2021 went to 1075lb.ft. and a few Aisin upgrades. Larger input shaft and I believe a hardened primary shift drum.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Known issue… meaning they know that they have a bad batch of clutches. My techs say they think 1st gear clutch is to blame for the tranny not shifting to drive. But mine did shift in and out of 4WD. I’m not sure. I’ll keep everyone informed.

There are two trucks at my dealer needing a new Aisin right now including mine.

My service advisor called me yesterday to tell me that Chrysler escalated my case, so they hope to have a transmission there in the next week or so. Then I’ll just have to wait for a bay and it’s about a day and a half to swap her out.

Could very well be a bad batch of clutches. Would make sense being we are (currently) only seeing these issues on '22's at this point.

Icky

Reaction score
Brother in law has 4 of them at his work with this problem. A friend of mines 2022 was one of them. Now I'm worried as I have a 2022 as well.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Brother in law has 4 of them at his work with this problem. A friend of mines 2022 was one of them. Now I'm worried as I have a 2022 as well.

Would be interesting to see if manufacture date has anything to do with it. Mine was built in late July ‘22.
On the bright side for me, even though I’ll be waiting a while, a recall would create a huge backlog. Especially since most of us who order the Aisin use them for work or hauling “houses”.

Users who are viewing this thread