Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

MikeXM

Reaction score
Here is one's feedback after all the updates.
I know, this guys likes to talk too much. But he has good knowledge of the 4.5th gen so I trust his opinion.

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing - I saw this video but I just wished he shared his tsb’s in youtube comments.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing - I saw this video but I just wished he shared his tsb’s in youtube comments.

That would require details

Something he isn’t all that good at

Hopefully he’ll answer in the comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Another 20 minute video of him rambling and talking to himself with little useful info. Gah.

I watched it at 2x and still want to poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick.

Trans learn mode: check. Everyone should be asking the dealer for the quick learn after a flash. Admittedly I don't know if this is applicable to the Aisin.
My mantra stands: Drive it like you stole it. After the first 100 miles, while I'm waiting to tow (have no real choice) until I've got the recommended 500 on the gearset, I am not babying this thing,

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the Aisin transmission has a sophisticated "learning cycle", but I've learned how it behaves and corrected my driving style accordingly.

For example:
If I come to a full stop (stop sign) and I pause a couple of seconds before accelerating = transmission engages very smooth.
If I come to a stop sign with at a high decelerating rate and I don't make a full stop (rolling stop) then I jump on the throttle = transmission "slams" into gear abruptly. And this condition gets worst when the stop and go is uphill !!

My conclusion: this tranny might be "heavy duty" but it doesn't like to be "manhandled" at all.
At first: I had the same transmission symptoms and opinion as most of you guys. Now that I am predicting its behavior: I have come to really like this tranny.

I experienced the slam shift for the first time yesterday.

Barely a rolling stop, which I've seen posted elsewhere as a contributing factor, and it banged so hard I thought the trans dropped on the road.

325 miles on the truck.

I picked it up 3-10-20 so I don't know what code is installed. It is going into the dealer Monday for some other issues. If they update it, I'll make sure they document before/after levels on the work order.

D

Deleted member 80

I experienced the slam shift for the first time yesterday.

Barely a rolling stop, which I've seen posted elsewhere as a contributing factor, and it banged so hard I thought the trans dropped on the road.

325 miles on the truck.

I picked it up 3-10-20 so I don't know what code is installed. It is going into the dealer Monday for some other issues. If they update it, I'll make sure they document before/after levels on the work order.
Wait 'til you get in town traffic when pulling heavy, where you have to be on and off the throttle to work through lights or oncoming cars, and the Aisin get confused and makes the whole truck shudder. It's a real pip. The Aisin is so stout, but why Ram can't get the thing dialed in is just baffling to me.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have towed in heavy traffic, pulled up 6 and 7 grade hills [mountains] with my Asian with 14000 # behind it and have never experienced anything close to being wrong, it just keeps pulling , even while coming down 6 or 7 grades transmission and engine brake work perfect together. Just cant figure out why others are having some type of issue with the Asian.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I have towed in heavy traffic, pulled up 6 and 7 grade hills [mountains] with my Asian with 14000 # behind it and have never experienced anything close to being wrong, it just keeps pulling , even while coming down 6 or 7 grades transmission and engine brake work perfect together. Just cant figure out why others are having some type of issue with the Asian.
Some of them work - some of them don't. Mine is ok but I've learned to operate around the tranny's idiosyncrasies. It can be quirky.

jbncccb

Reaction score
Question, I just purchased a new 2019 off the lot. They are delivering to me today from the lot due to Covid restrictions. Prior to delivery they were going to apply the windshield wiper recall. Would they also apply the TSB transmission updates prior to delivery or would this normally be a special request.

I would have thought that they would update everything before selling/delivering.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jbncccb

Reaction score
Question, I just purchased a new 2019 off the lot. They are delivering to me today from the lot due to Covid restrictions. Prior to delivery they were going to apply the windshield wiper recall. Would they also apply the TSB transmission updates prior to delivery or would this normally be a special request.

I would have thought that they would update everything before selling/delivering.

Just talked to the dealer. They are going to install the flash update. Still not sure if they would have applied had I not asked.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I would think that they would require that to happen, I would make sure they do any known recall flash needed before you receive truck.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2019 Ram 5500 / Aisin - with the same issues of tranny downshifting way too aggressive only while I’m tow haul mode - too it to the dealer and had ecm and pcm udadated - nu luck - same issues... truck has 52k miles - this is really frustrating.. Ram Cares - can you please confirm that there is an issue with this problem and if so - could you please provide the exact software version so I could present it to my dealer in Houston ?! Thanks

attached is what was done to my truck today - issue has not been resolved...

Hi @Danny_houstonTx - Would you mind following up with me via private message? I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
Hi @Danny_houstonTx - Would you mind following up with me via private message? I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

Private message send ! Thanks

thestuarts

Reaction score
Trans learn mode: check. Everyone should be asking the dealer for the quick learn after a flash. Admittedly I don't know if this is applicable to the Aisin.

Quick learn seems to be applicable to the Aisin because here is the service for one of my visits to the dealership. NOTE: The service log says TSB 21-001-21, but that is a typo. It should be TSB 21-001-20.

1587508422938.png

Danny_houstonTx

Reaction score
No, mine is a 2019 3500 HO/Aisin.
Got it - thanks

that explains why the dealer told me that the software version that was mentioned doesn't apply to my 2019 Ram 5500 - so as of right now - there is no solution to the problem for my 5500 cause the dealer told me the latest software update for my truck was at the end of January.... I don’t know...

Xflight29

Reaction score
I can't for the best of me understand why some are perfect and some are not.
I appsalutly love my 2020 HO and Aisin transmission. I tow every weekend and have never had a hick-up of any type.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread