Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

troverman

Reaction score
Just bought my second RAM diesel truck...traded my 2018 dually with a manual trans for a 2019 with the Aisin. Well, it's a very nice truck but the transmission feels like a piece of junk. It feels like a worn out, slipping, flaring, and non-smooth transmission. Sometimes, it shifts smoothly. Usually that happens if I'm very light on the accelerator. At other times, it seems to randomly stick in a low gear and rev too high (no, gear limiting is not turned on). Sometimes it feels like it is in neutral when you're trying to accelerate. Sometimes the shifts are very abrupt and firm.

This transmission seems to also lock and unlock the converter a lot. Perhaps there is a reason for all this? I thought if I paid extra for a transmission, it would be great. I've owned FOUR Super Duty Ford diesels, all 6.7L trucks with the Ford 6R140 transmission. None of them behaved like this Aisin. I didn't have to pay extra for the trans in the Ford, and it shifted as smooth as silk.

I'm OK with a firm shift but the wacky and unpredictable nature of this tranny is already driving me nuts.

D

Deleted member 80

Other than the fact that the Aisin has proven to be as reliable as an anvil, I have to agree that the shift programming is pretty terrible. I don't mind the slow deliberate upshifts, or a firm, occasionally clunky shift, but there are circumstances where mine goes into a "false neutral" when dropping from 2-1, the RPMs flare, and then it HAMMERS into first gear. Absolutely terrible programming.

troverman

Reaction score
Other than the fact that the Aisin has proven to be as reliable as an anvil, I have to agree that the shift programming is pretty terrible. I don't mind the slow deliberate upshifts, or a firm, occasionally clunky shift, but there are circumstances where mine goes into a "false neutral" when dropping from 2-1, the RPMs flare, and then it HAMMERS into first gear. Absolutely terrible programming.

I can't imagine slamming into gears is good for the trans. My buddies that drive Fords or Chevys already think Dodge makes crap transmissions, and when they ride in my brand new truck that slams into gear, hesitates, flares, etc...that behavior just reinforces what they already think.

D

Deleted member 80

I can't imagine slamming into gears is good for the trans. My buddies that drive Fords or Chevys already think Dodge makes crap transmissions, and when they ride in my brand new truck that slams into gear, hesitates, flares, etc...that behavior just reinforces what they already think.
Well, like I said, it may be annoying, but the Aisin has proven super reliable, even in severe commercial use. The Ferd and Chebby guys can laugh, but the only automatic I had fail catastrophically was a Ford, and I had an Allison(phony BTW)that acted so bad I successfully lemon-lawed it. I will not own a V-8 diesel, so I'll stick with what I have, and pray for a reflash. I have already complained to FCA and Ram Cares, and got blown off. Hopefully enough people complain to force them to address this at some point.

Wayniac85

Reaction score
Dude, I have a 19 Laramie HO w/ the AISIN and mine shifts like hell, too... You can be using the exhaust brake, going downhill while using the foot brake just a little too much and it'll throw you through the windshield when it down-shifts! Was pulling a 7x16 cargo trailer the other day to one of my jobs and came through a little straightaway, turned up an incline to proceed up the hill and mine got stuck in 2nd gear, even after I dead stopped, it wouldn't shift back.. I just laid it to it and it took off in 2nd. Hopefully there's an update we can get done at the dealer that will update the shift parameters or something?? If you guys figure anything out please be sure to write back n let me know, too.. Thx!
‍♂

R.J.

Reaction score
Well, like I said, it may be annoying, but the Aisin has proven super reliable, even in severe commercial use. The Ferd and Chebby guys can laugh, but the only automatic I had fail catastrophically was a Ford, and I had an Allison(phony BTW)that acted so bad I successfully lemon-lawed it. I will not own a V-8 diesel, so I'll stick with what I have, and pray for a reflash. I have already complained to FCA and Ram Cares, and got blown off. Hopefully enough people complain to force them to address this at some point.

Why would you not own a V8 Diesel again?

regal2800

Reaction score

They are in the business of modifying transmissions and the aisin is one transmission which they can't modify due to inability to tune. There is obviously a conflict of interest so it's hard for me to trust their "opinion" on the aisin.

thestuarts

Reaction score
They are in the business of modifying transmissions and the aisin is one transmission which they can't modify due to inability to tune. There is obviously a conflict of interest so it's hard for me to trust their "opinion" on the aisin.

Did you watch the video I linked which demonstrates the problem Revmax described?

D

Deleted member 80

It is certainly not a Ricky Racer transmission, BUT I have been around the diesel world for quite a while, and there are tons of hot-shotters pulling Max GCWR and beyond who regularly get 300K miles plus with just regular fluid and filter changes. I'm sorry, but Rev Max is FOS on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 80

Why would you not own a V8 Diesel again?
As this is someone else's thread, I will just say look at the history of truck engines, and it is littered with V-8 boat anchors from pretty much all makers, Cummins included.

D

Deleted member 80

Back on the poor shift strategy for the Aisin, I have run into numerous owners in my travels who are experiencing this, but have never gone back to complain. PLEASE, folks, take the time to get on record with this. There is no hope of FCA getting off their dead asses to address this unless they first recognize and admit to the issue.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Back on the poor shift strategy for the Aisin, I have run into numerous owners in my travels who are experiencing this, but have never gone back to complain. PLEASE, folks, take the time to get on record with this. There is no hope of FCA getting off their dead asses to address this unless they first recognize and admit to the issue.

I received a 5 page survey from Ram about a month ago. I spent almost 45 minutes filling it out. I gave considerable feedback on the transmission shift schedule in the open comments field.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
There is no hope of FCA getting off their dead asses to address this unless they first recognize and admit to the issue.

If it's a minor programming issue, FCA might bite. If it's major programming or mechanical, I wouldn't hold my breath on a fix unless it becomes an issue of safety. Otherwise, FCA will just tough it out. It took them an inordinate amount of time to acknowledge half-ton driveshafts flying off could potentially injure someone, or worse. Eagle Hemis have been chewing up camshafts for well over two yrs and on vehicles with relatively little mileage. FCA response: crickets...

The OP's experience with the Aisin transmission is unfortunate and I can but hope that there is some form of remedy. I'm quite satisfied with my Aisin. 12K kms (6K towing) thus far and although it can be quirky, it has more than met my expectations. I had no idea how much fun it could be to ascend the "Smasher" with a 8500 lb dog house, while maintained the posted speed limit. The truck barely broke a sweat. The Aisin? It downshifted to fifth after a bit and the trans temp increased by an insignificant three degrees. :cool:

ahhhr

Reaction score
A guy on YouTube said he got an Aisin update in August that helped. It a little lite on what the update was.
Maybe check with your dealer.

D

Deleted member 80

Mine already has the most recent programming. My buddy has an earlier build 3500 SRW, and his was downshifting like it was in Tow/Haul even when it was not, and the update helped with that, but he also still gets the same 2-1 Slip/Slam downshift.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I received a 5 page survey from Ram about a month ago. I spent almost 45 minutes filling it out. I gave considerable feedback on the transmission shift schedule in the open comments field.

Someone asked me about the Ram survey that took 45 minutes to fill out. I took pictures of the survey so you can see the questions that were asked. I filled it out online, so my paperwork looks clean. There is a unique code for the survey, so I can't forward the link to anyone. I encourage you to take the time to fill it out if you receive the survey in the mail.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10

thestuarts

Reaction score
It is certainly not a Ricky Racer transmission, BUT I have been around the diesel world for quite a while, and there are tons of hot-shotters pulling Max GCWR and beyond who regularly get 300K miles plus with just regular fluid and filter changes. I'm sorry, but Rev Max is FOS on this one.

I agree we should be questioning the messenger considering RevMax's motivation to sell transmissions and transmission services. One thing to consider is RevMax publicly posted their step-by-step analysis of the 69 Aisin with high-resolution images. They confirm the 69 transmission was improved over the 68, so their commentary is not all negative. RevMax has lots of positive things to say about the 69, but there are still design issues for stock power levels in a transmission with only 6K miles on it.

regal2800

Reaction score
As this is someone else's thread, I will just say look at the history of truck engines, and it is littered with V-8 boat anchors from pretty much all makers, Cummins included.

There are many great V 8 diesel engines. in fact most of the large diesel engines used in boats and heavy equipment are V 8, 10, 12 and 16.

D

Deleted member 80

There are many great V 8 diesel engines. in fact most of the large diesel engines used in boats and heavy equipment are V 8, 10, 12 and 16.
We are talking about trucks. The 3408 Cat was probably the best of the breed, and they had lots of crank breaking problems. The E9 Mack was barely OK, but still had plenty of durability issues. The 555 Cummins was a complete flop, the 3208 Cat was considered throw-away and had endless head gasket issues, but they sold a ton of them. The 9 liter, 6.9, and 7.3 IDI cornbinders were crap, and I owned two of them and can attest to what garbage they were. Then the 6 Oh-No! and 6.4 turds. The 6.2, 6,5, and 8.2 GM diesels were garbage. The two-stroke Detroits were about the only V diesels that were worth a damn in on-road use, but those Detroits were an engineering freak of nature anyway, and worked in any configuration. If V8 diesels are so great, how many Class 8 trucks are being sold today in the US with wonderful V8 power???

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread