Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

Nick

Reaction score
Knock on wood I have had no problems with mine . I does shift different then my 68RFE but I figured it would .

Oneway

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just read these 8 pages and gotta say I am regretting selling my G56 manual. My story(it’s long and crazy but true): ordered a 2020 3500 HD HO (Cummins/Aisin)from a certain high volume dealer in Idaho. I specd it with everything I wanted. Waited patiently for 12 weeks and the day came when they called and said your trucks here. Spent a week detailing my ‘15 and sold it in 3 days. Booked my flight to get new truck and 3 days out got a phone call: “ bad news your truck has a bad transfer case, needs replaced.” I’m freaked out because my new truck is faulty, but accept it. Anyways they replace transfer case and take for test drive. The Aisin is violently slamming into gear from 1st to 2nd. They diagnose as bad tranny, order new one. It’s been a month. I tell them I don’t want the truck, get me a new one, they say factory delayed can’t get new one til January. So, here I am, 2 full time jobs with 1 vehicle and haven’t heard boo from FCA as to any compensation for this BS. And I’m so desperate to get any truck I’m thinking of taking the this one. Really pissed off with FCA. I bought a new 03 Dodge Cummins put 300k on it, bought a ‘15 Ram Cummins put 125 k on it, no issues either truck. But with my experience and reading all this, I’m really thinking FCA has a bad product. Seriously thinking for the first time of taking my business somewhere else.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just read these 8 pages and gotta say I am regretting selling my G56 manual. My story(it’s long and crazy but true): ordered a 2020 3500 HD HO (Cummins/Aisin)from a certain high volume dealer in Idaho. I specd it with everything I wanted. Waited patiently for 12 weeks and the day came when they called and said your trucks here. Spent a week detailing my ‘15 and sold it in 3 days. Booked my flight to get new truck and 3 days out got a phone call: “ bad news your truck has a bad transfer case, needs replaced.” I’m freaked out because my new truck is faulty, but accept it. Anyways they replace transfer case and take for test drive. The Aisin is violently slamming into gear from 1st to 2nd. They diagnose as bad tranny, order new one. It’s been a month. I tell them I don’t want the truck, get me a new one, they say factory delayed can’t get new one til January. So, here I am, 2 full time jobs with 1 vehicle and haven’t heard boo from FCA as to any compensation for this BS. And I’m so desperate to get any truck I’m thinking of taking the this one. Really pissed off with FCA. I bought a new 03 Dodge Cummins put 300k on it, bought a ‘15 Ram Cummins put 125 k on it, no issues either truck. But with my experience and reading all this, I’m really thinking FCA has a bad product. Seriously thinking for the first time of taking my business somewhere else.
I understand your frustration but it could have been much worse. Imagine those problems only happening a week or two after you take delivery... At least right now you can still walk out.
GL man.

Oneway

Reaction score
MikeXM,

is your truck still got issues or have they been fixed? Another problem I have is $3500 in AEV conversion parts sitting waiting for this truck.

MikeXM

Reaction score
MikeXM,

is your truck still got issues or have they been fixed? Another problem I have is $3500 in AEV conversion parts sitting waiting for this truck.
Mine has no problem so far, I got lucky I guess.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
I had the VB6 recall done at 8k miles on my 2049 3500, just before I went on a long somewhat heavy (9,500 lbs) RV Trailer towing road trip. I can honestly say there was a noticeable change in the attitude of the shifting. The VB6 recall seems to be Emission related. I was keenly aware of the wonky shifting that some have attributed to the Aisin . It shifted so much smoother afterwards. I mean night an day smoother. I was a bit nervous to do the recall before the trip, but 6k miles later from that trip, and I would absolutely do that update again no worries.

DMack_762

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 DRW with the HO / Aisin / Max Tow Package. I am right at 7,000 miles on it so far and I have noticed that it is very sluggish at times leaving from a stop... Pulling away from a stop sign, sometimes, it's like I can mash the go pedal down, and the truck hesitates. It shifts quickly from first to second... but once in second or third, it really drops the hammer.

There have been a few times, pulling out into traffic, the truck hesitates a bit, to the point where I got worried that I might get hit. I wonder if a pedal commander or the like, would fix this issue? Loaded, pulling, it's a non issue. I have only noticed it unloaded, not towing. This is my daily driver now... so, it's a bit worrisome.

Nick

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 DRW with the HO / Aisin / Max Tow Package. I am right at 7,000 miles on it so far and I have noticed that it is very sluggish at times leaving from a stop... Pulling away from a stop sign, sometimes, it's like I can mash the go pedal down, and the truck hesitates. It shifts quickly from first to second... but once in second or third, it really drops the hammer.

There have been a few times, pulling out into traffic, the truck hesitates a bit, to the point where I got worried that I might get hit. I wonder if a pedal commander or the like, would fix this issue? Loaded, pulling, it's a non issue. I have only noticed it unloaded, not towing. This is my daily driver now... so, it's a bit worrisome.
Have you tried just rolling on the throttle ? My 14 if l just mashed the throttle l may as well hit the brake just moved slowly and hesitated . Basically work the throttle just like when you are loaded. Worked for me .

DMack_762

Reaction score
Have you tried just rolling on the throttle ? My 14 if l just mashed the throttle l may as well hit the brake just moved slowly and hesitated . Basically work the throttle just like when you are loaded. Worked for me .
I've tried to modify my driving and I am under the impression that the computer "learns" your driving style... but, I have not had enough time in it to really tell one way or the other. It does not happen all the time, but sometimes, it feels un-responsive... like a "mushy" accelerator pedal.

WXman

Reaction score
Is this something repeatable enough that it will do it on command if you get a tech to do a ride-along? You need to find a competent dealer.
It sucks that you are having trouble, but, speaking from experience, if you think Ford or GM don't have these issues, or treat their customers any better you are mistaken. Been there, done that. What I went through with GM on a phony allison I wouldn't wish on anyone. And I could write a book on Ford. Again, I am not defending their treatment of you, as it is wrong.

Yeah the Ford forum is full of complaints about their new 10R100 transmission in the Super Duty. Ironically it's a lot of the same complaints: poor shifting, slamming into gears, rough engagement, ruins the driving experience, etc. Seems like automatic transmissions are getting to the point where they aren't being programmed well across the board these days. Sometimes I wonder if it's because the younger generation who grew up with no interest in cars, let alone trucks, are now graduating from engineering school and are being hired by the Big 3 to work on pickup truck programs. Anybody who has grown up with trucks ought to know how a truck should shift and operate and would immediately know that they can't release trucks to market with these issues.

For what it's worth, the 8HP75 in the 2020+ EcoDiesels has the same issues. Poor engagement, sluggishness, overall terrible driveability. I believe the hardware is fine, and it's all faulty software to blame. That seems to be the case with the Aisin trans in the Ram...hardware is amazing, software is terrible. Though, I believe a LOT of it is the result of torque management being too aggressive in the engine tune.

Warweasel

Reaction score

Mine does that too, occasionally. I'm always like, "let's go, before we get hit!".

Xflight29

Reaction score
with close to 2000 pound engine a lot more rotating mass plus not to mention a turbo to spool-up takes a whole new driving technique. Don't stomp the throttle. I find it best to accelerate from pushing fast to about 1/4 - 1/3 then easing into it.

Nick

Reaction score
Yeah the Ford forum is full of complaints about their new 10R100 transmission in the Super Duty. Ironically it's a lot of the same complaints: poor shifting, slamming into gears, rough engagement, ruins the driving experience, etc. Seems like automatic transmissions are getting to the point where they aren't being programmed well across the board these days. Sometimes I wonder if it's because the younger generation who grew up with no interest in cars, let alone trucks, are now graduating from engineering school and are being hired by the Big 3 to work on pickup truck programs. Anybody who has grown up with trucks ought to know how a truck should shift and operate and would immediately know that they can't release trucks to market with these issues.

For what it's worth, the 8HP75 in the 2020+ EcoDiesels has the same issues. Poor engagement, sluggishness, overall terrible driveability. I believe the hardware is fine, and it's all faulty software to blame. That seems to be the case with the Aisin trans in the Ram...hardware is amazing, software is terrible. Though, I believe a LOT of it is the result of torque management being too aggressive in the engine tune.
It seems that the torque management is more aggressive in the 4.10 gearing but maybe I’m wrong . I have 3.73 and it accelerates very well and the shifting empty is smooth . Probably just got lucky.

MikeXM

Reaction score
It seems that the torque management is more aggressive in the 4.10 gearing but maybe I’m wrong . I have 3.73 and it accelerates very well and the shifting empty is smooth . Probably just got lucky.
I'm on the same boat. I've yet to experience those shifting problems. And not looking forward to it either. Fingers crossed.

Stedefe

Reaction score
image.jpgFirst post here, I have 2019 ram 3500 6.7 ho with the aisin, build date of may 2019 and I have all these problems. I went to the dealer today to have them update everything and I was told I have the latest tuning per my VIN number. I asked if they can perform a quick relearn but was told I couldn’t because I have the truck tuned. I attached a copy that lists current programming. Does any of that make sense

thestuarts

Reaction score
First post here, I have 2019 ram 3500 6.7 ho with the aisin, build date of may 2019 and I have all these problems. I went to the dealer today to have them update everything and I was told I have the latest tuning per my VIN number. I asked if they can perform a quick relearn but was told I couldn’t because I have the truck tuned. I attached a copy that lists current programming. Does any of that make sense

I have a 2019 3500 6.7 HO. Mine has been at the dealership about 6 times for control module updates. I can tell you are behind.

TCM
Your TCM version is 68288452AK. The newest version I am aware of is version 68475153AE which is associated with TSB 21-002-21. Tell your dealership you want the TCM firmware updated per TSB 21-002-21 to fix the following symptoms
  • **Poor shift quality.
  • • Shift or gear hunting.**
  • • A harsh 2-1 shift.
  • • Hesitation in up-shifts and/or down-shifts.
  • • Shudder and/or clunk when shifting into gear

PCM
Your PCM version is 52401932CT. I can't find this version. My truck has version 52401932AK which is associated with TSB 18-010-21 REV B. Tell the dealership you want the PCM firmware updated per TSB 18-010-21 REV B to fix the following symptoms:
  • • Harsh downshift clunk during exhaust brake deceleration.
  • • DEF gauge erratic when DEF level is low.
  • • Stall when putting in reverse in cold ambient temps.
  • • Engine stumble during engine warm up.
  • • Unstable idle when AC compressor cycles.
  • • Engine surge felt while driving (D2 with ETM Sales Code).
  • • Idle Fluctuation.
  • • Tachometer bouncing at idle with no change in RPM.
  • • Speed Control/Adaptive Cruise Control icon remains on in cluster after function has been
  • canceled.
  • • Stumble on acceleration in higher altitudes (D2 High Output Only).
  • • Cruise Control Resume Function will not go to last set speed after cruise control was turned off.
  • • Rough idle.
  • • Oil life monitor resets after PCM flash.
  • • Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) level gauge inaccurate.
  • • Excessive DEF consumption
  • • Poor idle quality at times when engaging cab heat feature.

ASCM
Your ASCM version is 68354198AL. The newest version I'm aware of is 68354198AN which is associated with TSB 08-073-20. Tell the dealership you want the ASCM firmware updated per TSB 08-073-20 to fix the following symptoms:
  • • Excessive operation or noise from air suspension system when vehicle is stationary

My dealership was very nice and didn't challenge me on any of the symptoms. They just updated the firmware and sent me on my way. I hope your dealership is as cooperative. If your truck is tuned, then they will probably not be cooperative.

I do not know if your ABS, RFH, DTCM, ORC, or AFLS control modules have the latest firmware.

Alan

Stedefe

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. I’m going to have to try a different dealer ship. This dealership also said when they plug it in it automatically lets them know if there is an available update for that specific vin number. They told me the tsb’s I referred to might only be for specific vin numbers regardless of being the same exact truck that received the updates, which doesn’t make sense to me.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. I’m going to have to try a different dealer ship. This dealership also said when they plug it in it automatically lets them know if there is an available update for that specific vin number. They told me the tsb’s I referred to might only be for specific vin numbers regardless of being the same exact truck that received the updates, which doesn’t make sense to me.

It is true that TSBs don't apply to all VIN numbers, but my truck used to have the same version of TCM and ASCM firmware that is on your truck, so at a minimum it seems those modules should have updates on your truck. Be aware, another member was denied updates after the 50,000 mile mark. You are getting close.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 6.7 HO. Mine has been at the dealership about 6 times for control module updates. I can tell you are behind.

TCM
Your TCM version is 68288452AK. The newest version I am aware of is version 68475153AE which is associated with TSB 21-002-21. Tell your dealership you want the TCM firmware updated per TSB 21-002-21 to fix the following symptoms
  • **Poor shift quality.
  • • Shift or gear hunting.**
  • • A harsh 2-1 shift.
  • • Hesitation in up-shifts and/or down-shifts.
  • • Shudder and/or clunk when shifting into gear

PCM
Your PCM version is 52401932CT. I can't find this version. My truck has version 52401932AK which is associated with TSB 18-010-21 REV B. Tell the dealership you want the PCM firmware updated per TSB 18-010-21 REV B to fix the following symptoms:
  • • Harsh downshift clunk during exhaust brake deceleration.
  • • DEF gauge erratic when DEF level is low.
  • • Stall when putting in reverse in cold ambient temps.
  • • Engine stumble during engine warm up.
  • • Unstable idle when AC compressor cycles.
  • • Engine surge felt while driving (D2 with ETM Sales Code).
  • • Idle Fluctuation.
  • • Tachometer bouncing at idle with no change in RPM.
  • • Speed Control/Adaptive Cruise Control icon remains on in cluster after function has been
  • canceled.
  • • Stumble on acceleration in higher altitudes (D2 High Output Only).
  • • Cruise Control Resume Function will not go to last set speed after cruise control was turned off.
  • • Rough idle.
  • • Oil life monitor resets after PCM flash.
  • • Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) level gauge inaccurate.
  • • Excessive DEF consumption
  • • Poor idle quality at times when engaging cab heat feature.

ASCM
Your ASCM version is 68354198AL. The newest version I'm aware of is 68354198AN which is associated with TSB 08-073-20. Tell the dealership you want the ASCM firmware updated per TSB 08-073-20 to fix the following symptoms:
  • • Excessive operation or noise from air suspension system when vehicle is stationary

My dealership was very nice and didn't challenge me on any of the symptoms. They just updated the firmware and sent me on my way. I hope your dealership is as cooperative. If your truck is tuned, then they will probably not be cooperative.

I do not know if your ABS, RFH, DTCM, ORC, or AFLS control modules have the latest firmware.

Alan

Nor should anyone expect them to be.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

At the very least you should remove the tune and reflash a stock tune before bringing the truck in.

"Tunes" on HO have zero tuning for the TCM which could also be a problem with your shifting.

If you're deleted, which would then prevent you from running a stock tune, I'd be surprised a dealer would even plug into the truck. If they know you're tuned/deleted, you're at great risk of having the truck red flagged and having your powertrain warranty voided.

Users who are viewing this thread