Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

D

Deleted member 80

Here I am at 11k miles on mine, not towing to speak of really. truck went in for the recall in march, then a trans rebuild in april, and reverse just went out in it again this week. so off to the dealer again. the transmission system is trash on these trucks.
This is an Aisin? I'm sorry you are having trouble, but an Aisin failure is a very rare thing on a stock truck. The programming may be crude, but they have proven extremely durable.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here I am at 11k miles on mine, not towing to speak of really. truck went in for the recall in march, then a trans rebuild in april, and reverse just went out in it again this week. so off to the dealer again. the transmission system is trash on these trucks.

Recall? Sounds like a 68RFE and this thread is about the Aisin. If you're not posting about the Aisin, please remove the post.

If it's an Aisin, why would you buy an Aisin equipped truck if your not towing?

Technorm

Reaction score
I have almost been run over a couple of times by pulling out into traffic and the Aisin transmission decides to go to neutral while the engine revs to 2500 rpm before it slams into gear. I also have a problem of stopping on a hill, when you attempt to continue up the hill sometimes the truck will roll backwards before it slams into gear and the engine dies. Complete loss of brakes and steering, talk about dangerous. While driving in mountainous terrain at slow speed (5 to 10 mph) the transmission seems to shift into neutral, engine will rev up to 2000 to 2500 rpm for a few seconds and then slam into gear. This happens all the time. I can't even get out of my driveway without this happening. I have had my truck to the dealer several times with no fix.
The last time I had the truck at the dealer FCA said it was "working as designed" and I was told that was all they could do for it. If it is "working as designed" then they have a FLAW in the design that needs to be fixed. This is a safety issue.
My truck is barely one year old with 11000 miles (most of which were put on it because they told me I would have to drive it a lot of miles so it would "learn" and it has been reprogrammed several times), the truck is still under warranty and they will not fix it! I did a lot of research before buying to find the truck that had the best towing performance, the Ram 3500 looked like it but the transmission has been a huge disappointment. Even more frustrating is trying to get FCA to honor their warranty!

Xflight29

Reaction score
I say Lawyer time. sorry but when you spend that type of $$$$ on any vehicle it better run and shift and work as advertised

Technorm

Reaction score
Yep, $64,000 and the dealer is offering me $42,000 trade in allowance (just for me) for a truck barely a year old and 11,000 miles. That is insulting. Had I known it would have such low trade in value I would have purchased a different brand.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have almost been run over a couple of times by pulling out into traffic and the Aisin transmission decides to go to neutral while the engine revs to 2500 rpm before it slams into gear. I also have a problem of stopping on a hill, when you attempt to continue up the hill sometimes the truck will roll backwards before it slams into gear and the engine dies. Complete loss of brakes and steering, talk about dangerous. While driving in mountainous terrain at slow speed (5 to 10 mph) the transmission seems to shift into neutral, engine will rev up to 2000 to 2500 rpm for a few seconds and then slam into gear. This happens all the time. I can't even get out of my driveway without this happening. I have had my truck to the dealer several times with no fix.
The last time I had the truck at the dealer FCA said it was "working as designed" and I was told that was all they could do for it. If it is "working as designed" then they have a FLAW in the design that needs to be fixed. This is a safety issue.
My truck is barely one year old with 11000 miles (most of which were put on it because they told me I would have to drive it a lot of miles so it would "learn" and it has been reprogrammed several times), the truck is still under warranty and they will not fix it! I did a lot of research before buying to find the truck that had the best towing performance, the Ram 3500 looked like it but the transmission has been a huge disappointment. Even more frustrating is trying to get FCA to honor their warranty!

Have you tried a different Dealer or contacted @RamCares ?

D

Deleted member 80

Yep, $64,000 and the dealer is offering me $42,000 trade in allowance (just for me) for a truck barely a year old and 11,000 miles. That is insulting. Had I known it would have such low trade in value I would have purchased a different brand.
Is this something repeatable enough that it will do it on command if you get a tech to do a ride-along? You need to find a competent dealer.
It sucks that you are having trouble, but, speaking from experience, if you think Ford or GM don't have these issues, or treat their customers any better you are mistaken. Been there, done that. What I went through with GM on a phony allison I wouldn't wish on anyone. And I could write a book on Ford. Again, I am not defending their treatment of you, as it is wrong.

Technorm

Reaction score
Most of this is very repeatably. It happens every time I go up my driveway. The dealership service manager rode with me when I stopped on a hill and started to take off the truck went to neutral and the truck rolled backwards, slammed into gear and the engine died. As we were rolling backwards with no brakes the service manager exclaimed "that's not supposed to happen". Thats when I told him I had been trying to tell him that. The dealership has put a computer on it to record the parameters of what is happening when the truck acts up. They sent that recording to the FCA engineers who told the dealership that "it is working as designed" since it does not throw a trouble code. And yes I know other brands have problems too, it is a matter of how they respond.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
NONE !! Ihad an 8V92 Detroit a case of oil coast to coast biggest POS I ever owned . Had 6 New rigs one Cat and the rest Cummins . Never saw a hook on any of them in 30 years .I will stick with an inline 6 .

BillandMary

Reaction score
I have a 2018 3500 DRW that I’ve had severe tranny problems with starting at 32,000 miles. Transmission slams into first gear so hard that it feels like someone hit me from behind at 20 mph. Local dodge dealer tranny guru test drive it with me and said it was f-up. Have went through relearning the tranny, new ECM’s, two new trannies and working through the Chrysler cares center plus FCA. Finally filed a lawsuit against Dodge. Dodge engineers acknowledged their was a problem with my truck but said they aren’t gonna committ a few engineers to fix a tranny problem that doesn’t affect the overall performance of the tranny. Basically they said that a hard downshift isn’t a cause for alarm. Well I kept pressing the issue and Dodge offered me a Monetary settlement for my troubles but still wouldn’t fix or couldn’t fix the hard downshift. So I’m at 53,000 miles now and just tried to have the tranny relearned today but it didn’t work. Gonna trade it in and hopefully my next Dodge will be better than this one.

D

Deleted member 80

I have a 2018 3500 DRW that I’ve had severe tranny problems with starting at 32,000 miles. Transmission slams into first gear so hard that it feels like someone hit me from behind at 20 mph. Local dodge dealer tranny guru test drive it with me and said it was f-up. Have went through relearning the tranny, new ECM’s, two new trannies and working through the Chrysler cares center plus FCA. Finally filed a lawsuit against Dodge. Dodge engineers acknowledged their was a problem with my truck but said they aren’t gonna committ a few engineers to fix a tranny problem that doesn’t affect the overall performance of the tranny. Basically they said that a hard downshift isn’t a cause for alarm. Well I kept pressing the issue and Dodge offered me a Monetary settlement for my troubles but still wouldn’t fix or couldn’t fix the hard downshift. So I’m at 53,000 miles now and just tried to have the tranny relearned today but it didn’t work. Gonna trade it in and hopefully my next Dodge will be better than this one.
If you can, I'd wait until they come out with the new HD transmission. I assume you have an Aisin?? I don't think they are going to improve them much at this point.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I have the 68RFE tranny
This is a AISIN transmission thread. We automatically assume yours is also one if you don't mention it in your post.
Kinda relieved it's not a Aisin though. Haven't heard of a defective one yet, beside the bugs described here.

BillandMary

Reaction score
This is a AISIN transmission thread. We automatically assume yours is also one if you don't mention it in your post.
Kinda relieved it's not a Aisin though. Haven't heard of a defective one yet, beside the bugs described here.
Ok my apologies

brando

Reaction score
I have an ‘18 6.7 w AISIN and can confirm I experience some sloppy shift periodically but only when *not* towing. These AISIN’s were probably programmed specifically to pull and if you’re not pulling, maybe try a 68RFE since they clearly weren’t meant for towing and I bet you it’s a case of marketing differentiating the transmissions and guys not using the right tool for the right job.

I’m wrong a lot so if you KNOW your truck has an AISIN and you experience this sloppy shift, please let us all know that it’s an AISIN and when towing vs not towing or both do you experience the sloppy shift.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It would be great to see this as a poll. Just wondering how common the shifting issue is for the Aisin.

Users who are viewing this thread