Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
All clutch volume indexes are considered learned values that shifting schedule is calculated from. Sorry for the technical lingo but no better way to describe.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I want to thank @Jazdad2007 for announcing TSB 21-001-20 which updates the TCM software version to 68475153AD. After getting this update installed, the Aisin shifts the way I expect it to (at least in regular, non-towing mode). I had the update installed on 1/22, and I've driven a couple hundred miles after installing the update. Here's what I noticed in non-towing mode.

1. Downshifting from 2nd into 1st is not harsh. The transmission smoothly slides into first gear without causing the truck to lurch forward.
2. The hesitation in up-shifts and down-shifts is gone. The truck feels like it is always in the right gear with no hesitation.
3. I haven't noticed any more clunking noises when shifting into gear.

Overall, the truck is much more pleasant to drive in normal mode after the update.

However, in tow-mode, the truck still shifts directly from 4th gear to 2nd gear or directly from 5th gear to 3rd gear when decelerating. This results in a harsh down-shift and the engine RPM revs high. I understand why this behavior is desirable in tow-mode because the increased engine RPM helps with the engine brake, but it feels like the transmission should only skip a gear downshifting when the engine brake is also enabled. I can live with this behavior, but I still think there is room for improvement in the shift schedule in tow-mode.

If you are at all dissatisfied with the way your Aisin shifts, especially in normal mode, please schedule an appointment with your dealership to get TSB 21-001-20 addressed. Don't forget to ask the dealership to perform a "quick learn" which makes the transmission quickly adapt to the new shift schedule.

Here is a copy of TSB 21-001-20.

D

Deleted member 80

Taking mine in next week. This will be the third reflash for this damn Aisin. You'd think these geniuses could figure this out by now.

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
You are welcome. I’m thankful that others are experiencing enhanced performance due to this update. Now another update released yesterday for full speed collision warning system! It takes an hour to perform. No update on the differences, only that the update is designed to address a erroneous apply brake warning. Please let me know if others see a difference. It applies to 19 MY up to sept 19 build dates with full speed collision warning only.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Taking mine in next week. This will be the third reflash for this damn Aisin. You'd think these geniuses could figure this out by now.

Hi 1HasBeen,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on here. We are happy to see that you are bringing this to the attention of your dealer. If you would like our additional support while your truck is in service, please do not hesitate reaching out to us here.

Kathryn
RamCares

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Talked to my dealer and the diesel techs

ECM TCM updates expected for the HO trucks by end of Q1.

I’ll keep you all updated on what I hear. They expect to call me when it’s released to get the flash ASAP so I’ll post back what I find.

The previous TCM only update wasn’t sufficient since the ECM didn’t align with the update. They are taking a little more time on this new update as it requires new marrying of both modules together.

Personally I think this is great news. Should be a noticeable improvement after a thorough relearn process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Talked to my dealer and the diesel techs

ECM TCM updates expected for the HO trucks by end of Q1.

I’ll keep you all updated on what I hear. They expect to call me when it’s released to get the flash ASAP so I’ll post back what I find.

The pro goal TCM only update wasn’t sufficient since the ECM didn’t align with the update. They are taking a little more time on this new update as it requires new marrying of both modules together.

Personally I think this is great news. Should be a noticeable improvement after a thorough relearn process.

This implies the fix still hasn't been completed and trucks rolling off the line will still need a flash?

Buppies

Reaction score
1HasBeen your description above is concise and very accurate, reguarding Diesel engines of which I have owned all of those listed

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
This implies the fix still hasn't been completed and trucks rolling off the line will still need a flash?

Correct.
My assumption is once they have the approved release they will be flashing the trucks on the line immediately. Without it the trucks off the line are probably getting the old TCM update that is better but still not great. Still no ECM update though.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct.
My assumption is once they have the approved release they will be flashing the trucks on the line immediately. Without it the trucks off the line are probably getting the old TCM update that is better but still not great. Still no ECM update though.

Thanks, mine rolled off the line around 2/11 and is on the train - also sans the dang TTPMS.

Seems there's still no reliable answer on the option to add the TTPMS module after the fact (I do have the XFQ camera wiring).

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thanks, mine rolled off the line around 2/11 and is on the train - also sans the dang TTPMS.

Seems there's still no reliable answer on the option to add the TTPMS module after the fact (I do have the XFQ camera wiring).

Hope it all works out. It should with time. Hang in there.

Dialed-In

Reaction score
Well I am looking over my paperwork from yesterday and it seems like they updated my transmission but it appears to still be a older version than what was discussed early in this thread? Really wonder if they did a relearn as well.

Attachments

• 1582340848628820129432176536536.jpg
    1582340848628820129432176536536.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 41
  • 15823409090381048418530776829674.jpg
    15823409090381048418530776829674.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 40

abishoff

Reaction score
I picked up a 2020 5500 Laramie and honestly I think the transmission shifts fine. Only drove in-town and unloaded highway miles. But so far it seems fine. I have the Aisin and 4:89 gears

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Relearns take time and there is a right way to do them.

I doubt it was done but drive it like you usually would and it will catch up.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I picked up a 2020 5500 Laramie and honestly I think the transmission shifts fine. Only drove in-town and unloaded highway miles. But so far it seems fine. I have the Aisin and 4:89 gears

The truck, if I recall correctly, is de-rated some in the HP and TQ arena. Correct me if I am wrong please.

That said the effort they put into the 4500 5500s and C&Cs is substantial. They tend to be great rigs off the shelf that require minor attention.

That also said, the C&Cs got their update release already so you probably have it

abishoff

Reaction score
The truck, if I recall correctly, is de-rated some in the HP and TQ arena. Correct me if I am wrong please.

That said the effort they put into the 4500 5500s and C&Cs is substantial. They tend to be great rigs off the shelf that require minor attention.

That also said, the C&Cs got their update release already so you probably have it

I don’t think it’s derated compared to the 2500/3500 non-HO. They should be the same.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Well I am looking over my paperwork from yesterday and it seems like they updated my transmission but it appears to still be a older version than what was discussed early in this thread? Really wonder if they did a relearn as well.

Hey @Dialed-In, I looked at your invoice. They installed 3 updates.

1. Updated the Power Control Module (PCM) from version 52401932ad to version 52401932ag per TSB 18-052-19. I believe that is the latest version of PCM software currently available.
2. Updated the Transmission Control Module (TCM) from version 68288452AK to version 68475153AD per TSB 21-001-20. I believe that is the latest version of TCM software currently available.
3. Updated the Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM) from version A68354198AJ to version A68354198AL per Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) 19-057. I believe that is the latest version of ASCM software currently available.

Based on what I know, I believe you now have the latest PCM, TCM, and ASCM software currently available.

Which post discussed this being an older version of software?

ST3500

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the Aisin transmission has a sophisticated "learning cycle", but I've learned how it behaves and corrected my driving style accordingly.

For example:
If I come to a full stop (stop sign) and I pause a couple of seconds before accelerating = transmission engages very smooth.
If I come to a stop sign with at a high decelerating rate and I don't make a full stop (rolling stop) then I jump on the throttle = transmission "slams" into gear abruptly. And this condition gets worst when the stop and go is uphill !!

My conclusion: this tranny might be "heavy duty" but it doesn't like to be "manhandled" at all.
At first: I had the same transmission symptoms and opinion as most of you guys. Now that I am predicting its behavior: I have come to really like this tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread