Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

D

Deleted member 80

OK, back to the Aisin, I spoke to a different dealer today, and I was told there is a freshly issued TSB that is supposed to address many of our complaints, and specifically calls out the 2-1 slam shift. I have an appointment for Monday the 25th, and will report back.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
OK, back to the Aisin, I spoke to a different dealer today, and I was told there is a freshly issued TSB that is supposed to address many of our complaints, and specifically calls out the 2-1 slam shift. I have an appointment for Monday the 25th, and will report back.

Hi 1HasBeen,

Glad to hear you were able to connect with your dealer on this. If you are in need of any additional support as you work with your dealer, our team is just a PM away and more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

mtoma

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up on the update.
Always wonder why dealers can't get this out to us as owners before we read about it on a forum.
Let us know if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

Thanks for the heads up on the update.
Always wonder why dealers can't get this out to us as owners before we read about it on a forum.
Let us know if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, after a few hundred miles I can only say this "update" did not address my 2-1 slam shift at all. There are some circumstances where it will not short shift as much when accelerating, but overall a FAIL.

Come on FCA, figure this thing out!

thestuarts

Reaction score
Well, after a few hundred miles I can only say this "update" did not address my 2-1 slam shift at all. There are some circumstances where it will not short shift as much when accelerating, but overall a FAIL.

Come on FCA, figure this thing out!

Did the dealership give you any paperwork that contains the service bulletin number or firmware version?

EZTundra77

Reaction score
My '19 3500 HO/AISIN shifts fine going down the road. Seems to deliver power exactly where I want it. The only mod Ive done to the entire truck is 295/70/18 Mud tires. That could theoretically change how the trans shifts I suppose. I do get the slam into 1st occasionally, but usually when shifting into or out of 4WD which I just attributed to hard transfer case lock

ahhhr

Reaction score
I have not come across the slam yet but I only have 2000 miles on it.
FWIW. 285/75/18 and tires are significantly heavier than stock.

Jackmayhoffer

Reaction score
Vancouver island, british columbia, canada
Just bought my second RAM diesel truck...traded my 2018 dually with a manual trans for a 2019 with the Aisin. Well, it's a very nice truck but the transmission feels like a piece of junk. It feels like a worn out, slipping, flaring, and non-smooth transmission. Sometimes, it shifts smoothly. Usually that happens if I'm very light on the accelerator. At other times, it seems to randomly stick in a low gear and rev too high (no, gear limiting is not turned on). Sometimes it feels like it is in neutral when you're trying to accelerate. Sometimes the shifts are very abrupt and firm.

This transmission seems to also lock and unlock the converter a lot. Perhaps there is a reason for all this? I thought if I paid extra for a transmission, it would be great. I've owned FOUR Super Duty Ford diesels, all 6.7L trucks with the Ford 6R140 transmission. None of them behaved like this Aisin. I didn't have to pay extra for the trans in the Ford, and it shifted as smooth as silk.

I'm OK with a firm shift but the wacky and unpredictable nature of this tranny is already driving me nuts.

Take your truck to the dealer and get them to do a trans re-learn. Will be far better. Also if your truck is tuned this doesn't help the issue. But a re-learn will get er back in shape. I have a 19 with the aisin and same thing, Put a 120 tune in it and deleted, Slow to shift, and flares big time between 3 and 4, and then 5 to 6. I took er for a re-learn and now it shifts great even at over stock power. If yours is stock it will be even better. It is a solid trans but not bulletproof. My 2013 i just sold went through a trans at about 90k. That one shifted like ****, and did tons of towing, it would have been alive if it wasnt for the slow shifts (burned out clutches). So much happier with new one. Also for anyone that has a shidt on the fly tuning with this trans beware! You need to set it at one power level, then have it re-learn (From dealer) it does not do it properly without that. So every time you change a power level and dont re-learn your trans it is eating itself. This new one as is feels great now. Lots of trial and error.

EZTundra77

Reaction score
FWIW. 285/75/18 and tires are significantly heavier than stock.
[/QUOTE]

n 50

I think my 295/70/18 Mickey T MTZ p3 are probably quite a bit heavier than stock road tires. My guess is about 30-40 lbs heavier per tire. maybe eve

D

Deleted member 80

The stock size Nitto EXOs on my dually are much heavier than the junk Nexens it came with, and I am still battling the 2-1 slam shift.

D

Deleted member 80

It's a particular set of circumstances that triggers it, and unfortunately for me my driveway induces it every single time. I have had it happen in general driving, too. So it's not really always, but is always when the circumstances are right.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't tire size would do it but worth considering.

D

Deleted member 80

I got a survey invitation yesterday, and I immediately followed the login instructions, thinking I'd give them a piece of my mind. As soon as I logged in it basically said. "Sorry, we don't need you". Story of my life.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Where did your survey go? I clicked on your Page 1 and Page 2 links and there is nothing there.

I am not sure what happened to the pictures of the survey. I am away on vacation, so I will check when I get back on a few days.

Klinger

Reaction score
As this is someone else's thread, I will just say look at the history of truck engines, and it is littered with V-8 boat anchors from pretty much all makers, Cummins included.
I’m now moving over to Cummins HO. I had the bulletproof 7.3 Powerstroke in my F350 that I put 305,000 reliable miles in most pulling some sort of trailer. Had 2 injectors replaced and 2 water pumps. That’s it in 20 years and 305,000 miles. Granted the 6.0 was junk. Also had a 6.9 IDI V8 International in a F250 and it was stout. I went with Ram this time only for the Cummins. The inline 6 and the multiple applications Cummins are in from HD trucks to Diesel Pusher motorhomes made my decision.

thestuarts

Reaction score
@1HasBeen Thanks for letting me know about TSB 21-041-19. I scheduled an appointment with my local service department to update the software in Transmission Control Module (TCM). Based on what you said earlier, I expect the software update will not fix the 2-1 slam shift I am experiencing, but it is the first step in troubleshooting the problem.

I obtained a copy of TSB 21-041-19 which I made available on my Google Drive.

The TSB applies to vechicles built on or before August 23, 2019 (MDH 0823XX) with a 6.7L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel with the Aisin AS69RC HD.

The symptoms the software update is supposed to fix are:
  • A harsh 2-1 down-shift
  • Hesitation in up-shifts and/or down-shifts (from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6)
  • Shudder and/or clunk when shifting into gear

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about TSB 21-041-19. I scheduled an appointment with my local service department to update the software in Transmission Control Module (TCM). Based on what you said earlier, I expect the software update will not fix the 2-1 slam shift I am experiencing, but it is the first step in troubleshooting the problem.

I obtained a copy of TSB 21-041-19 which I made available on my Google Drive.

The TSB applies to vechicles built on or before August 23, 2019 (MDH 0823XX) with a 6.7L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel with the Aisin AS69RC HD.

The symptoms the software update is supposed to fix are:
  • A harsh 2-1 down-shift
  • Hesitation in up-shifts and/or down-shifts (from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6)
  • Shudder and/or clunk when shifting into gear

Hi thestuarts,

If you are in need of any extra assistance while working with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread