Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Aisin shifting is weird and poor - why?

Warweasel

Reaction score
I'd agree about the newer version of the transmission. I had a 16 DRW with the Aisin which shifted much more smoothly than the one in my 19 SRW. I will also check with the dealer about the programming. My truck was built in March of last year, I believe, so I'm not sure which update it would have. Good conversation. Thanks

Edit:

Just had the dealer do the transmission software update. Still seems a bit jerky.

Last edited:

thestuarts

Reaction score
The service department at my dealership updated the firmware in the Aisin Transmission Control Module of my 2019 Ram 3500 per TSB 21-041-19. The old TCM firmware version was 68288452AK, and the new firmware version is 68288452AL.

My first impression is, the shifting has improved, but it still could be better. For example, when driving 60 MPH in non-tow mode and the exhaust brake disengaged, I can take my foot off the accelerator and the truck will naturally slow down by downshifting one gear at a time from 6th gear all the way to 1st gear. The downshifts are very smooth; the truck doesn't jerk at all. However, if I do the same test in tow mode (with the exhaust off), the truck will downshift from 5th gear all the way to 2nd gear causing the truck to jerk. If I was towing animals in a trailer, it would be an unacceptably rough downshift which could cause the animals to lose their balance or impact the trailer.

The update did seem to improve the downshift from 2nd gear to 1st gear when not towing. Before the update, the truck would downshift from 2nd to 1st when the RPM was too high resulting in a jerky downshift. After the update, the downshift from 2nd to 1st seems to happen at a lower RPM, so the truck doesn't jerk as much. I haven't tried downshifting from 2nd to 1st while towing a trailer, yet.

Overall, the TCM update helped, but it still isn't as smooth as it could be. I will record some videos of the rough shifting so I can show them to the dealer to start the process of getting the issue addressed by the Ram engineering team.

Redacted Invoice.jpg

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
News flash....just released Aisin transmission flash to address all irregular up shifts and harsh down shifts. Applies to ALL 2019 with Aisin. 7EFC95B6-18C2-4EBB-A3AB-3E012413BE8C.png

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
That's the same TSB @1HasBeen announced on 11/30/2019 earlier in this topic.
I will be honest and say my truck has been up to date from day one and after flashing this evening it is significantly improved! Dated 01/11, however just entered into service library yesterday. Working at the dealership allows me to see many of these complaints. I have been aggressively forwarding to FCA for quality control. Maybe just maybe they have finally improved this shifting logic.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I will be honest and say my truck has been up to date from day one and after flashing this evening it is significantly improved! Dated 01/11, however just entered into service library yesterday. Working at the dealership allows me to see many of these complaints. I have been aggressively forwarding to FCA for quality control. Maybe just maybe they have finally improved this shifting logic.

TCM version 68288452AL was installed on my truck on December 30th for TSB 21-041-19. What's the difference between TSB 21-041-19 and TSB 21-001-20 because they seem to be the same?

Here is TSB 21-041-19:

Last edited:

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
You must ensure your dealer performs quicknlearn after the flash. Otherwise the clutch volumes will take FOREVER to relearn. When quick learn is performed it forces all shifts forward and in reverse. Warning, it will frighten you to hear the loud banging!

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
I will say that it is not uncommon for items to be addressed in reflashes that are not spelled out in tsb’s. The difference in the 2 listed bulletins is that latest allows for dtcs to self erase if condition changes. I will honestly say the shifting schedule changed also! No more lag between 1/2 shift is most noticeable. Again dealer must perform quick learn in order to allow clutch volume index’s to relearn. Hope this helps.

jared43758

Reaction score
I’m confused on the quick learn. Is this something the dealer WILL do or not. What will happen if they don’t

Users who are viewing this thread