Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

D

Deleted member 80

I guess we need a troll test???

VIN
Work Order
Photo with today's edition of the local newspaper

Anything else?

cobradvm

Reaction score
So I got an update on the repair on my truck. The Ram rep that was assigned to my case called me to let me know that the parts were shipping out 2 days ago, and provided me with a tracking number. Initially it wasn't in the system but it eventually updated. The parts appeared to have been overnighted from Michigan to the dealership and arrived yesterday. Then I got a text from the dealership saying they had received the injectors which were the parts they were waiting on. The truck should be repaired and ready to go sometime next week. Asked if it would be possible to have them ship it to Las Vegas and was told no, I have to drive 200 miles to go pick it up. Also it appears that no compensation is being provided until after the repair is completed. So I'll probably have to do a one way rental to go pick it up and spend most of a day getting it. Not real happy about that, but having it repaired two months sooner than I was expecting I guess is "good" news.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
After 10 months of ownership and 2 CP4 replacements later, 1 Asymetrical and now Symetrical my CP4 pump rattle is finally gone after they installed the new pump today. It only took 64 days out of service and I can't count how many trips to the dealer to get things right like it should of came from the factory. But I guess FCA is asleep at the switch busy counting how much $ they saved on the Asymetrical pumps, oh wait that's coming back to bite them currently with as it seems someone posts another grenade almost daily these days.

I'm so looking at a (GAS) TRX 1500 to replace this thing or a Power Wagon

Pump replacement part # 68526414AA Pump Kit Injector Supply.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.JPG
    IMG_5655.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

cobradvm

Reaction score
Update - got the call from the dealer that my truck is repaired and ready to be picked up - no mention of CP4 pumps or anything related to why it failed and what has been done differently to prevent it from happening again. I'll check the dimples when I pick it up and report back. Probably going to get it on Friday.

So about a month from failure to repair - I guess it could have been worse.

Now do I trade it in and kiss it goodbye, or hold on to it.? Might have to see what I can get on trade in.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Keep it and ride it till the end of the warranty, then see how your relationship with the truck is at that time.
Glad to hear they took care of it in a somewhat timely manner looking forward to seeing your post.

cummins2020

Reaction score
Help me out guys.....cant see my pump for all the crap on the topside.....I have dual alternators, does that block the view or am I just blind???

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Help me out guys.....cant see my pump for all the crap on the topside.....I have dual alternators, does that block the view or am I just blind???

I have dual alts and can see it fine, but I also just used my phone/camera to take a pic.

Cmerk

Reaction score
October 23rd. Still no updates for me. I’m not expecting to get my truck back anytime soon. Bought an older F150 so I have something rather than a POS rental. I’m really disappointed. I really like my truck and would like it back.

cobradvm

Reaction score
So I picked up my truck on Friday. I had hoped that they might have shipped it for me to Las Vegas but that was no bueno.. So my son and I headed off for the 3 hour drive to the dealership on Friday. When we got there the service rep had me sign the work order and then they brought the truck up. Their whole attitude was about the same as if I'd just dropped it off a couple hours ago for an oil change.

Anyway got it home, and checked the fuel pump - looks like its the new style symmetric cam so that's good. Turns out they replaced everything including the gas tank - they tried to clean it out twice but were still seeing too much metal, so they replaced it.

Today I just received my LX4 order, so I plan on using that with every fill up. Not sure if it's needed with the new style pump, but it seems like cheap insurance.

20201025_161948.jpg

Peter Allen

Reaction score
My 1500 ECO blew a hole near the egr valve and I limped 20 miles to a dodge dealer they were good but no parts for three months , the truch only had 45,000 miles on it and FCA was bloody worthless ,I had to buy a new truck as I was 1000 miles from home towing a trailer full of vintage bikes ,so now I have a 2500 , hope its better than the 1500

Latebraking

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post while I await the call from the dealer that the 2020 Ram Laramie 3500 dually w/Aisen & HO Cummins I ordered at the end of August (build began 27 August) has arrived. Should I be proactive and say 'no thank you', get my deposit back and shop at the Chevrolet or Ford Dealer, or does the timing of my order mean that I have escaped sleepless nights over this issue?

D

Deleted member 80

Hello all, this is my first post while I await the call from the dealer that the 2020 Ram Laramie 3500 dually w/Aisen & HO Cummins I ordered at the end of August (build began 27 August) has arrived. Should I be proactive and say 'no thank you', get my deposit back and shop at the Chevrolet of Ford Dealer, or does the timing of my order mean that I have escaped sleepless nights over this issue?
Ford runs the CP4, also, and yes they have failures. One of the youtube hotshotters just had a Ford lose a CP4 at around 38K(?) miles.

Latebraking

Reaction score
So, that leaves Chevrolet, then. Am I in the same boat as the rest of the '19 & '20 Ram owners?

cobradvm

Reaction score
It's really difficult to give you an answer to your question. We don't really know the incidence of failure. We don't really know if the new design of the CP4 pump is the solution. Chevy/GMC does not use a CP4 pump - instead they use a Denso pump, and that doesn't appear to have issues. Ford uses the CP4 but does not appear to have the same incidence of failure of the pumps that Ram is having but that is purely anecdotal.

The Ram trucks are otherwise great trucks - much better interiors than Ford or Chevy. They also have the air suspension that I don't think other HD trucks have.

If I were buying a Ram truck, I would be adding a lubricant at every fill up.

Latebraking

Reaction score
It's really difficult to give you an answer to your question. We don't really know the incidence of failure. We don't really know if the new design of the CP4 pump is the solution. Chevy/GMC does not use a CP4 pump - instead they use a Denso pump, and that doesn't appear to have issues. Ford uses the CP4 but does not appear to have the same incidence of failure of the pumps that Ram is having but that is purely anecdotal.

The Ram trucks are otherwise great trucks - much better interiors than Ford or Chevy. They also have the air suspension that I don't think other HD trucks have.

If I were buying a Ram truck, I would be adding a lubricant at every fill up.
Yeah, I realize that without transparency from Dodge/Bosch about what is happening & why & what the fix is / will be, it's all guessing. I'm a gear head, but this is my first diesel & it's going to be towing a 5th wheel I'll be living out of full time. Plus, spending the large chunk of cash that I am to get this thing, having catastrophic problems that potentially compromise my safety, and will certainly leave me stranded and without the truck for weeks/months, this is not how I want my new truck ownership to start out. This CP4 issue seems more prevalent than I'm comfortable with for that scenario, if the problem is as widespread/frequent as it seems. Is a lubricant fuel additive a way to head the problem off at the pass, or does it just make the owner feel better?

D

Deleted member 80

Yeah, I realize that without transparency from Dodge/Bosch about what is happening & why & what the fix is / will be, it's all guessing. I'm a gear head, but this is my first diesel & it's going to be towing a 5th wheel I'll be living out of full time. This CP4 issue seems more prevalent than I'm comfortable with for that scenario, if the problem is as widespread/frequent as it seems. Is a lubricant fuel additive a way to head the problem off at the pass, or does it just make the owner feel better?
Well, the CP4 has been around for at least ten years. It was a problem then, and we are here today still facing issues, so...

Latebraking

Reaction score
Well, the CP4 has been around for at least ten years. It was a problem then, and we are here today still facing issues, so...
So, these pumps have been failing like this for the past 10 years, with no legal recourse for the owners, or did something change within the last couple years?

Users who are viewing this thread