Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Damn. With all this covid crap. Now I buy my first new truck, and this crap. I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Was just about to come in and say that I'm a CP4 hypochondriac but just saw another FB post about a dude getting Husky mats on the cheap because dude had a CP4 failure and traded the truck for a 1500.

If you're tired of us talking about it find a different thread. In case you haven't noticed, this one is titled "CP4 fuel pump failure..."

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
well I ordered a 21HO ram 3500, my dealer contacted me this week to tell me that the 21HO was ready for order.
I explain to him that I was no longer interested because of FCA handling of cp4/failures and extended repair time.
he called back and said let’s order it if you don’t want it by the time it shows up you don’t have to take it no money down no obligation! dropping this kind of coin on a truck that doesn’t look like it’s going to be as reliable as previous generations and the finickiness of this pump and South Texas diesel quality just makes this decision so hard. my decision will be made based off of how FCA handles the cases that I am watching on this form and the state of the economy at the time of arrival.
what surprised me is that they said 10 week delivery that’s almost quicker than the repairs are taking.
not acceptable FCA!

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
I have yet to see a dealer invoice for one of these CP4 failures, one of you mind posting one?

cobradvm

Reaction score
Deep breaths everyone.
Agreed - however I think the thing that is frustrating me the most about this is the lack of taking care of their customers that just spent in excess of $70k with them. I was offered $30 a day towards a rental while my truck is being repaired - do you know what you can rent for $30 a day?? Certainly not anything that can tow. Plus they have made no effort to cover any expenses directly related to the break down. Their whole attitude is "Meh", like it's not their problem. I get it that stuff breaks, but they needed to step up, and so far zip, zero, nada. I'm 50/50 on whether to unload the truck and go with Ford/GM/Toyota.
Mark with Ram Care on this site has responded, but really there is nothing that he can do - it's all down to the dealer since they are individually owned entities. So since I had to tow to the nearest dealer, it's not like you can pick and choose who is going to repair the truck.
Since I have an F150 that has given me 100k trouble free miles, I'm not stuck for a truck, so not having the Ram is not a huge issue. Again, it's a lack of taking care of the customer that's going to hurt them. So far I don't have a lot of good things to say about FCA.

D

Deleted member 80

I have yet to see a dealer invoice for one of these CP4 failures, one of you mind posting one?
There was one posted a while ago, I believe from a member in Las Vegas.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
It’s not about how many it’s about how are they handling the ones that are happening!
if they’re building trucks with CP4.2 pumps now it shouldn’t take 10 weeks to get the parts to fix the ones that are down.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Well, there is the 5th wheel prep and hitch mounting thread.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
It’s not about how many it’s about how are they handling the ones that are happening!
if they’re building trucks with CP4.2 pumps now it shouldn’t take 10 weeks to get the parts to fix the ones that are down.

I am wondering if there is some 'negotiations' between RAM and Cummins as a result of this CP4.2 issue. I doubt RAM builds the Cummins engines. At least not according to the Cummins employees I see occasionally.

D

Deleted member 80

I am wondering if there is some 'negotiations' between RAM and Cummins as a result of this CP4.2 issue. I doubt RAM builds the Cummins engines. At least not according to the Cummins employees I see occasionally.
FCA buys complete engines from Cummins with no warranty. FCA provides the warranty. Is there a review process quarterly or annually in the event of excessive issues??? No idea, but I'd hope so, or they would end up suing one another like Ferd and Intrashnational did.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbncccb

Reaction score
Why no Lawyer yet???? Sounds like an easy win for the prosecutor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
So I have a new 3500 built in August how can I tell if I have the new pump thanks for any help? This really sucks I did some homework before buying this but did not see this situation. FCA better start fixing this because the word is starting to spread and with the competition starting to make there diesels better people are going to be scared and start going to the competition.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
In the W57 recall thread, there's an image showing the new pump with a LARGE dimple nearest the top port. All the small dimples are lot ID. The old asymmetrical pump has only small dimples on the pump body.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Here is my 2nd new cp4 replacement, they shipped them the new symmetrical style pump that came in this week to be installed Friday the 16th that I posted over in No Start to replace my 1st replacement asymmetrical old style pump. Truck only has 9700 miles on it and going on 64 days out of service since new last November..

Attachments

• 68526414AA CP4 PUMP 2.JPG
    68526414AA CP4 PUMP 2.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
In the W57 recall thread, there's an image showing the new pump with a LARGE dimple nearest the top port. All the small dimples are lot ID. The old asymmetrical pump has only small dimples on the pump body.

Here is my 2nd new cp4 replacement, they shipped them the new symmetrical style pump that came in this week to be installed Friday the 16th that I posted over in No Start to replace my 1st replacement asymmetrical old style pump. Truck only has 9700 miles on it and going on 69 days out of service since new last November..
https://hdrams.com/forum/data/attachments/7/7981-882b8704a1415268c56fe57c29c5543d.jpg

Red circle = large dimple = Symmetrical cam lobe pump
Blue Square = plant/lot ID

Asymmetrical pumps will not have the large dimple.

1602381398022.png

Xflight29

Reaction score
Here is my 2nd new cp4 replacement, they shipped them the new symmetrical style pump that came in this week to be installed Friday the 16th that I posted over in No Start to replace my 1st replacement asymmetrical old style pump. Truck only has 9700 miles on it and going on 69 days out of service since new last November..
Time to Lawyer-up big time. I wouldn't go 10 days.

Users who are viewing this thread