Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

cobradvm

Reaction score
Just as an FYI I added up all the costs associated with getting home and then having to go get my trailer - so far out $768. Tow fee for trailer to get it to the dealer with the truck, two Uber trips, a night in local hotel, car rental to drive home, truck rental to get trailer, diesel for the truck, pet sitter extra night.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYI I added up all the costs associated with getting home and then having to go get my trailer - so far out $768. Tow fee for trailer to get it to the dealer with the truck, two Uber trips, a night in local hotel, car rental to drive home, truck rental to get trailer, diesel for the truck, pet sitter extra night.
Save receipts, they may come in handy some day

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I don't buy for a second that the recent cam update had to do with NVH. My truck is quiet and with all the rock crushing of a diesel at idle anyway, I doubt I'd hear the injection pump cam unless it was failing or something. Sucks because I bought new in September and the new pumps hit the trucks in July. BUT, my truck is a February build.

The least FCA could do is recall and retro the new pump style on to all the non-dimple trucks.

Again, NVH be damned. That's a cop-out cover so they don't have to admit fault. I wonder if it wasn't for the stupid over-blown Rona if mfg capacity would be such that they would already be recalling.

D

Deleted member 80

I don't buy for a second that the recent cam update had to do with NVH. My truck is quiet and with all the rock crushing of a diesel at idle anyway, I doubt I'd hear the injection pump cam unless it was failing or something. Sucks because I bought new in September and the new pumps hit the trucks in July. BUT, my truck is a February build.

The least FCA could do is recall and retro the new pump style on to all the non-dimple trucks.

Again, NVH be damned. That's a cop-out cover so they don't have to admit fault. I wonder if it wasn't for the stupid over-blown Rona if mfg capacity would be such that they would already be recalling.
I think the NVH thing stems from having to have the correct flash for the pump installed. If the flash is wrong it makes the pump rattle like the dickens.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Man, this CP4 deal has really got me wondering if I made a wise decision circling back to Ram after my ‘19 1500 lemon debacle and now this. OP I know all too well what you’re going through with FCA but know you did the right thing seeking legal council. I had to do the same thing. Definitely following this issue and hoping Ram steps up and fixes this.

cobradvm

Reaction score
Well so far no response from my case manager, Sara (no last name provided) is not responding to emails or phone calls. I've also contacted the dealership that is repairing the truck and no response from them either - leave voice mails or send texts. I feel like I'm getting ghosted. Mark with Ram Care has responded on this site, but there's nothing he appears able to be able to do to move things along.

If they would just give me my money back, they can keep the damn truck.

Edit - just got a text from Jason at Victorville - parts are on order, no available ETA - he's checking with the parts manager.

Last edited:

immersivenc

Reaction score
Latest update - I heard from the service advisor at the Victorville dealership that the parts to repair the truck will not be available until December 15th.

Beyond frustrating.
They need to put you in a long-term loaner, pay for a rental, or get you a new truck!

sisupower

Reaction score
Latest update - I heard from the service advisor at the Victorville dealership that the parts to repair the truck will not be available until December 15th.

Beyond frustrating.

Wow man just wow! That’s all I can say right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wapiti

Reaction score
Hello all. New here. I had almost an identical experience. Im now 2 weeks out from CP4 failure. Brand new 2020 3500 dually with only 7k miles. I have a case number with FCA but they have not responded in days. They told me they’d get me a 3500 rental but it hasnt materialized. I drove a 97 to almost 400k miles. I drove a 2011 to 200k miles. I was NEVER stranded on the side of the road all day waiting to be towed. Trailer towing in Phoenix was $225/hr. Customer care couldnt get me a truck tow either so I had to pay out of pocket. This absolutely insane. Even if they do get it fixed months from now I wont be able to ever trust the truck again. I really have no choice but to go find a used 4th gen truck or go to GM. If you are selling a 70k dollar product there just has to be accountability. The dealers dont want to be involved at all, they just push to fca customer care. Sounds like I need a lawyer.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello all. New here. I had almost an identical experience. Im now 2 weeks out from CP4 failure. Brand new 2020 3500 dually with only 7k miles. I have a case number with FCA but they have not responded in days. They told me they’d get me a 3500 rental but it hasnt materialized. I drove a 97 to almost 400k miles. I drove a 2011 to 200k miles. I was NEVER stranded on the side of the road all day waiting to be towed. Trailer towing in Phoenix was $225/hr. Customer care couldnt get me a truck tow either so I had to pay out of pocket. This absolutely insane. Even if they do get it fixed months from now I wont be able to ever trust the truck again. I really have no choice but to go find a used 4th gen truck or go to GM. If you are selling a 70k dollar product there just has to be accountability. The dealers dont want to be involved at all, they just push to fca customer care. Sounds like I need a lawyer.

I am deeply sorry to hear of your situation, please do not hesitate to send us a private message with your case number so that we may look into this further with you.

Mark
RamCares

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
For the skeptics, it's happening DAILY now. This forum, other forums, the various FB groups...etc. DAILY I read of a new failure. Mine has less than 1500 miles on it but guess how excited I am to tow my TT out to the middle of who knows with my 68k truck?

It's time to demand a response.

g00fy

Reaction score
For the skeptics, it's happening DAILY now. This forum, other forums, the various FB groups...etc. DAILY I read of a new failure. Mine has less than 1500 miles on it but guess how excited I am to tow my TT out to the middle of who knows with my 68k truck?

Well, this is pretty scary, I traded from my Ecodiesel to a Cummins for peace of mind, and all this talk about the CP4 has ruined that. What also sucks is shortly after purchasing my personal truck, i convinced my boss to get a 2019 5500 Cummins for a delivery truck...

RV_Goose

Reaction score

How many trucks with issues. And how many trucks are still racking up mileage?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
That's a good question for FCA which they will never answer.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I would bet the failure rate and cost of warranty repair to their company is FAR higher than what would be considered acceptable on any other singular part. Now they have to consider the reputational damage. The word is starting to get out more and more and even if it's all BS and only .25% fail, perception is reality. Especially in a segment where longevity for $$$ spent is very important. Especially in a segment where it's already starting to be known diesels in general are getting more and more finicky to own with all the emissions and regulations.

I can tell you that yes, I screwed up and didn't look far enough into this before I bought the truck. Do I love it? Yes. Do I want it to last forever? Yes. Do I want it to fail, so they can buy it back so I can get something else? No.

That being said, if I did better due diligence and joined forums and FB groups prior to purchasing, this issue would have steered me clear of this truck. Remember from my welcome thread that I am a GM convert. I am the buyer RAM wants to attract, not send away with durability controversy. I've bought a new 06, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 20 GM. This is my first new vehicle that's not GM and apparently there is a growing chance it's got a multi-thousand dollar ticking time bomb under the hood that they've (without alerting the public) already addressed by revising it for an unpublished reason. I've already convinced two potential HD diesel buyers to hold firm and wait to see what becomes of this or at worst, if getting a RAM get a post 07/2020 build.

Sure, I'm just one knob on the Internet, but I'm not the only one and the reputation of how FCA is dealing with this is starting to spread like a virus.

Over reacting? Probably. It would be a lie to tell you that every time I fire up or think about that truck that this BS doesn't cross my mind though and that's a load of horse crap for someone that just dropped this kind of money.

cummins2020

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your ordeal Brother!!!

cummins2020

Reaction score

It scares the hell out of me and my truck isnt even here yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread