Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Time to Lawyer-up big time. I wouldn't go 10 days.
I did back in March after I hit 35 days in 4 months of ownership, FCA has denied buyback twice already. My lawyer is not sure what FCA is trying to do here as I'm going on 69 days out of service. If anyone else is pursuing lemon law or MSRP swap you are in for a fight with FCA. My lawyer thinks they are trying to use Covid as their excuse.

Cmerk

Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 $103000 CAD custom ordered in March and received the truck at the end of April. The transmission cratered in June. So two weeks without it so they could drop in a new one. Then at the beginning of September the CP4 went and took out the fuel system. Both the pump and the injectors are on back order with no delivery in site. No help from the dealer or FCA Canada. Not a happy camper.

D

Deleted member 80

2020 Ram 3500 $103000 CAD custom ordered in March and received the truck at the end of April. The transmission cratered in June. So two weeks without it so they could drop in a new one. Then at the beginning of September the CP4 went and took out the fuel system. Both the pump and the injectors are on back order with no delivery in site. No help from the dealer or FCA Canada. Not a happy camper.
68RFE or Aisin?

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
How many miles? What was the reason for the transmission failure?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As an owner, you are generally notified of any class action and need to proactively Opt-out to not be automatically opted in.

I get class action notices frequently (insurance carriers, banks, CC companies, and hard goods like appliances and electronics, etc.)

RV_Goose

Reaction score
As an owner, you are generally notified of any class action and need to proactively Opt-out to not be automatically opted in.

I get class action notices frequently (insurance carriers, banks, CC companies, and hard goods like appliances and electronics, etc.)
I have also. But not for anything that had affected me financially.

Team Lovejoy

Reaction score
That's a good question for FCA which they will never answer.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I would bet the failure rate and cost of warranty repair to their company is FAR higher than what would be considered acceptable on any other singular part. Now they have to consider the reputational damage. The word is starting to get out more and more and even if it's all BS and only .25% fail, perception is reality. Especially in a segment where longevity for $$$ spent is very important. Especially in a segment where it's already starting to be known diesels in general are getting more and more finicky to own with all the emissions and regulations.

I can tell you that yes, I screwed up and didn't look far enough into this before I bought the truck. Do I love it? Yes. Do I want it to last forever? Yes. Do I want it to fail, so they can buy it back so I can get something else? No.

That being said, if I did better due diligence and joined forums and FB groups prior to purchasing, this issue would have steered me clear of this truck. Remember from my welcome thread that I am a GM convert. I am the buyer RAM wants to attract, not send away with durability controversy. I've bought a new 06, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 20 GM. This is my first new vehicle that's not GM and apparently there is a growing chance it's got a multi-thousand dollar ticking time bomb under the hood that they've (without alerting the public) already addressed by revising it for an unpublished reason. I've already convinced two potential HD diesel buyers to hold firm and wait to see what becomes of this or at worst, if getting a RAM get a post 07/2020 build.

Sure, I'm just one knob on the Internet, but I'm not the only one and the reputation of how FCA is dealing with this is starting to spread like a virus.

Over reacting? Probably. It would be a lie to tell you that every time I fire up or think about that truck that this BS doesn't cross my mind though and that's a load of horse crap for someone that just dropped this kind of money.
Another one bites the dust ordered 9/15.2019 .... 2019 RAM 2500 6.7 LTD loaded arrived 12/15/2019 7400 miles DOA 9/5/2020 and towed to dealer still waiting for pump and complete fuel system.... What a bummer my 2002 2500 5.9 sold to a buddy at 180K still runs great ..... good luck!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Perhaps a taste of things to come in a few years:

I just looked at the dates. 14 years to go through the court systems? The profits were made. Lower level managers lost their jobs. But the shareholders were still paid, and that's all they care about.

And people wonder why some folks walk into a corporate office and do something horrible to people who had no control over the issue? The folks making these decisions are well insulated from any fallout.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Perhaps a taste of things to come in a few years:

Another one bites the dust ordered 9/15.2019 .... 2019 RAM 2500 6.7 LTD loaded arrived 12/15/2019 7400 miles DOA 9/5/2020 and towed to dealer still waiting for pump and complete fuel system.... What a bummer my 2002 2500 5.9 sold to a buddy at 180K still runs great ..... good luck!
Sorry to hear. I’ve been looking at the used market on second and third GEN trucks unbelievable what they’re bringing now.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
It seems to be early or nothing failure, mine has 10400 miles. I've got my fingers crossed.
I know it is completely unscientific, but I now have chatted with 20+ folks with 2019 or 2020 RAM 3500s diesels that have not had any CP4 pump issues and they said no additives were used. Mileage anywhere from 20k to 100k. The ones with 100+ on the 2019s are all commercial haulers.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The trend does seem to be early (<10,000 miles).

I feel like my gear-drive whine from the engine is getting louder every day. If it's that GD pump, ima poo. Have to drop off the wife's Traverse for an airbag recall before I can bring it down to a CJDR dealer and ask what the hell it is. I wouldn't think it would be the pump but who knows, maybe the lifter is cocked sideways and rubbing the crap out of the cam already. If it wasn't for all this CP4 nonsense I might just chalk it up to the adaptive steering or something else. :dunno:

flan

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people join and then post immediately about fuel pump failure..trolls

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Sounds like a big PITA to go to FordHD . com (if there is one), make a login, check my email, click the link, and then just to make a post about a known part failure and split for the laughs.

Maybe people have that kind of time these days.

Users who are viewing this thread