Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I got the 82215770AB and it doesnt work, assuming they changed some pins. do you know what pins are what on the new 2022 12 pin? maybe I can open and move pins. Just want to install one camera for now on back of boat trailer.
When you use that kit on a 2022, you need to plug the camera cable into the aux 2 pigtail on the main section that plugs into the 12-pin, not the Aux 1 connector:
837F1745-0FE6-45F7-81C7-F77F3CDE9D5C.jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Do you know what pins on the 12 pin are for aux 2?
Pin 7 is camera shield, pin 11 is camera signal, and pin 12 is camera return. Power and ground are shared for all cameras- pins 1&6 respectively.

Cliffordmvas

Reaction score
Thanks, I just tried to move and I don't have the tools to remove the pins. So I will just order the 2 camera kit and use Aux 2 connections. Thank you so much. Do you know if we can order the Tow mode camera, my truck is prepped for it.

kkerley

Reaction score
You don’t access that camera through the radio screen, it is only for the digital rear view mirror.

Yes, that kit will work on your 12-pin, as well as the trailer surround view kit, but you can only use one or the other- IOW, even if you set up both kits on the trailer (trailer surround and aux camera), you can only plug one or the other into the 12-pin. That’s why I’m working on modifying the surround view kit harness, so both trailer surround view AND aux 2 camera can be used concurrently.
If you successfully modify the surround view to add the aux cameras you can include me on the list of those who will send you some money for wires!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
You don’t access that camera through the radio screen, it is only for the digital rear view mirror.

Yes, that kit will work on your 12-pin, as well as the trailer surround view kit, but you can only use one or the other- IOW, even if you set up both kits on the trailer (trailer surround and aux camera), you can only plug one or the other into the 12-pin. That’s why I’m working on modifying the surround view kit harness, so both trailer surround view AND aux 2 camera can be used concurrently.

I hope you can find a solution jimmy, and I’d be more than willing to pay for that solution. I very much would like to be able to use both. I had thought I would be able to use the single auxiliary for monitoring the horses inside the trailer while having the surround view on the outside. Thanks for all the work you do, it is extremely helpful and very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJB

Reaction score
No, but there will always be the aux 2 camera option available. I’m working on a solution to modify the factory trailer surround view harness to include a breakout connector for the aux camera kit (or any aftermarket aux camera).
It is not a 12 pin connector single pin coaxial cable connector

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not a 12 pin connector single pin coaxial cable connector

Yes, we all pretty much know that.

The Digital Tow Mode camera that displays in the Digital Rearview Mirror is a Fakra-coax connection.

The AUX1 and AUX2 cameras connect via the 12-pin and display on the Radio screen.

killborn

Reaction score
The good thing is you have the safety package, which includes the mirror. I think you just need to buy the tow mode camera.

XH7 Tow-Mode Camera (Wired)
Can this XH7 be installed after receiving the truck, or does it need to be a factory install? Anyone have a picture /video of this system in operation?

Rampingup

Reaction score
I have a NEW IN THE BOX, Camera kit. I F’d up my order and NO ONE caught it. $900 plus shipping,
And it is NOT ON BACKORDER, I actually have it

Just to clarify, you have the 4 camera surround kit or the 1 camera trailer tow kit?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Can this XH7 be installed after receiving the truck, or does it need to be a factory install? Anyone have a picture /video of this system in operation?

The XH7 option provides you the camera to mount on the trailer and the wiring to connect the trailer to the truck. In order to use the digital tow mode camera you need the digital rearview mirror. If your truck is equipped with the digital rearview mirror your truck will automatically come with the truck half of the system (including the receptacle on the left side of your bumper that the XH7 kit plugs into)

killborn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I am waiting on my truck and it is ordered with the Safety package, which includes the digital rearview mirror. I might have the dealer order the XH7 separately and figure out trailer installation. My trailer is pre wired for a camera, so hopefully that makes it a little easier.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I have a NEW IN THE BOX, Camera kit. I F’d up my order and NO ONE caught it. $900 plus shipping,
And it is NOT ON BACKORDER, I actually have it.

I don’t need it, but thanks for the offer. I am actually glad they accidentally left it off my order. In the end I don’t think I’d end up having used it so I was glad to save the the $950.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I am waiting on my truck and it is ordered with the Safety package, which includes the digital rearview mirror. I might have the dealer order the XH7 separately and figure out trailer installation. My trailer is pre wired for a camera, so hopefully that makes it a little easier.

Unfortunately, if you did not order XH7 with your truck, you most likely will not be able to order the tow mode camera kit over the dealer parts counter. Several members have tried to no avail. The limited quantity of those available seem to be allocated to new ordered trucks only and the factory is keeping their hands on them. Hopefully in time, that kit will be available through mopar parts but for right now, unless you order it with your truck, or find one for private sale from someone who does need it or want it, extremely unlikely they can order it for you. This supply chain problem is a real drag in so many areas it’s very sad and unnerving!

Rampingup

Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you did not order XH7 with your truck, you most likely will not be able to order the tow mode camera kit over the dealer parts counter. Several members have tried to no avail. The limited quantity of those available seem to be allocated to new ordered trucks only and the factory is keeping their hands on them. Hopefully in time, that kit will be available through mopar parts but for right now, unless you order it with your truck, or find one for private sale from someone who does need it or want it, extremely unlikely they can order it for you. This supply chain problem is a real drag in so many areas it’s very sad and unnerving!

Unfortunately have to agree about not being able to get the parts thru the dealer. They said their wasn't even a listing for it and have no idea if or when there would be. So the big question now is who wants to part with their camera part of the set up.

killborn

Reaction score

Very disappointing, hopefully it becomes available in time as you say. Probably a good thing I didn’t order it with the truck as it sounds like that could have possibly held up my delivery.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Unfortunately have to agree about not being able to get the parts thru the dealer. They said their wasn't even a listing for it and have no idea if or when there would be. So the big question now is who wants to part with their camera part of the set up.

3-4 posts up some one is offering one for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread