Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
So how long is the cable supplied with that camera?

That’s a good question?

I haven’t measure it, but I thought someone said 35-40’????

I believe it’s a basic coax connection and you can buy an extension off of Amazon.

There was talk about it in this thread when it first started.

Last edited:

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I’d be very interested to see what you come up with; I have a 33’ Airstream and am about to order ‘22 cclb tradesman

My buddies helping with the Victron / Battle Born install and we just planned on doing the camera at the same time.

As far as mounting I might just replace the wireless camera that comes from the factory depending on how it’s mounted. Then run the cable up over the top and down a preexisting hole or vent on the roof. Then fish it out the front storage bay where the Victron and battle borns are going somehow.

Probably need to figure out the extra cable situation. I doubt the supplied cable is long enough.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I have a 34ft trailer and I had probably 3 ft I had to coil up with about 2 ft to the truck from the trailer....about the same length as the trailer plug.

I will say the camera does change views when you are are in reverse. It will tilt down when you shift in reverse so keep that in mind when you mount it.

The picture I attached is in drive. In reverse it tilts down to where you would be just at the hood where it meets the grill give or take. I have the camera mounted above the rear bumper of the travel trailer.

Attachments

• 20220106_143735.jpg
    20220106_143735.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 41

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
I have a 34ft trailer and I had probably 3 ft I had to coil up with about 2 ft to the truck from the trailer....about the same length as the trailer plug.

I will say the camera does change views when you are are in reverse. It will tilt down when you shift in reverse so keep that in mind when you mount it.

The picture I attached is in drive. In reverse it tilts down to where you would be just at the hood where it meets the grill give or take. I have the camera mounted above the rear bumper of the travel trailer.

Awesome news. Thank you. I should have plenty of cable to do the Airstream even with having to fish it through.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
View attachment 30055

If someone without the XH7- Tow mode camera (wired) option and has the blank square cover on the left side of the license plate, would you mind poping the blank out and see if there is a part number on the back side?

Those of us that need to relocate the XH7 option to the bed will need to buy the blank, or a new connector, and the dealer wants $100 for a connector. We could not find a part number for the blank cap.
The connector blank part number is 68526870AA

Rampingup

Reaction score
That’s a good question?

I haven’t measure it, but I thought someone said 35-40’????

I believe it’s a basic coax connection and you can buy an extension off of Amazon.

There was talk about it in this thread when it first started.
I was thinking that it was covered somewhere before. I'll go back thru once I have the truck. I hope to be able to add the tow camera as well as the trailer surround camera. I wouldn't be opposed to buying from someone on the forum that ddn't want/need theirs.

kkerley

Reaction score
View attachment 30055

If someone without the XH7- Tow mode camera (wired) option and has the blank square cover on the left side of the license plate, would you mind poping the blank out and see if there is a part number on the back side?

Those of us that need to relocate the XH7 option to the bed will need to buy the blank, or a new connector, and the dealer wants $100 for a connector. We could not find a part number for the blank cap.
have you found a part # for the tow mode camera connector? price would dictate whether I would want an additional connector or the black to fill the opening

CJB

Reaction score
have you found a part # for the tow mode camera connector? price would dictate whether I would want an additional connector or the black to fill the opening
I have not found connector number. Does anyone have the whole package number?

RummerRam

Reaction score
I have not found connector number. Does anyone have the whole package number?
I ordered the tow tech B package on a Laramie for the 360 truck surround and the trailer reverse view. Does this also come with the cargo camera as part of the package? I’m assuming it will have the 12 pin connector since the package states “A loose-shipped rear view camera is also available for upfit
installation. It displays in its own window.”
I did not order the digital rear view mirror though. This sh*t is so techy! I’ll probably forget I have all these cameras and just drive the damn thing.

RLMandich

Reaction score
RLMandich - did anyone answer you on B? I have exactly the same situation and question as you. Seems like Ram didn't really think this through for those of us with 5er.
I think I’m just going to McGyver something once I get the truck and 5er. That looks like a summer project though so I won’t have any results for several months.

Cliffordmvas

Reaction score
Yes. The trailer surround view CVPM uses the aux 1 camera input, and is enabled in the BCM with the VehConfig 8: Aux Trailer Camera setting. That means that the trailer surround view system should also work on pre-2022 trucks, as long as the UC5 swap goes off without a hitch.
I have a new 2022 Limited and it has the 12 pin with 360 trailer camera, can I change in the BCM with the VehConfig to just be normal Aux1? instead of the 360 camera?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Limited and it has the 12 pin with 360 trailer camera, can I change in the BCM with the VehConfig to just be normal Aux1? instead of the 360 camera?
No, but there will always be the aux 2 camera option available. I’m working on a solution to modify the factory trailer surround view harness to include a breakout connector for the aux camera kit (or any aftermarket aux camera).

Cliffordmvas

Reaction score
For anyone thinking about getting the XH7 Trailer Tow Mode Camera (Wired) option, here are pictures of the hardware and a pdf of the instructions I received with my just-arrived 2022 Limited Level 1 3500 DRW with the XH7 option and without the trailer surround camera option. When I have a chance, I'll test wire it up and show how it looks in the digital rear view mirror. But, as a preview, the digital mirror includes a menu option (selectable on the rearview mirror itself) to switch between the normal rearview camera image and the trailer camera. I hope this information helps.

The kit comes in a large bag containing two smaller bags. The kit part number is shown as (P)68527599AA. I'm not sure if the "(P)" is actually part of the part number.
View attachment 23335
The larger of the two bags includes a 50' cable (15.4m), 40 X 12"cable ties, a docking station (this is a cable end holder, used as a dust cap when the cable is not attached to a truck), and screws to mount the docking station to a trailer.
View attachment 23338

Detail of the "truck" end of the cable.
View attachment 23339 View attachment 23340

Detail of the "camera" end of the cable.
View attachment 23341

Docking station, open (note closed/blank end)
View attachment 23343

The smaller bag includes the camera pod, camera bracket, 2 X camera bracket trim covers, mounting screws, 50 X 10" cable ties, and 80 X 8" cable ties.
View attachment 23344

Camera with bracket and trim/bracket covers. There are no markings on the back of the camera to indicate manufacturer, etc.
View attachment 23345
With this hooked up, on the 12" screen, how can you access it? Aux2?

Cliffordmvas

Reaction score
No, but there will always be the aux 2 camera option available. I’m working on a solution to modify the factory trailer surround view harness to include a breakout connector for the aux camera kit (or any aftermarket aux camera).
do you know if the 82216068AD kit will work? dealership says its compatible with my vin, I don't think it will because my 12 pin is for the surround kit, right? I assume the Aux2 is for the digital camera connection on the left of the license plate?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
With this hooked up, on the 12" screen, how can you access it? Aux2?
You don’t access that camera through the radio screen, it is only for the digital rear view mirror.
do you know if the 82216068AD kit will work? dealership says its compatible with my vin, I don't think it will because my 12 pin is for the surround kit, right? I assume the Aux2 is for the digital camera connection on the left of the license plate?
Yes, that kit will work on your 12-pin, as well as the trailer surround view kit, but you can only use one or the other- IOW, even if you set up both kits on the trailer (trailer surround and aux camera), you can only plug one or the other into the 12-pin. That’s why I’m working on modifying the surround view kit harness, so both trailer surround view AND aux 2 camera can be used concurrently.

nomoss

Reaction score
You don’t access that camera through the radio screen, it is only for the digital rear view mirror.

Yes, that kit will work on your 12-pin, as well as the trailer surround view kit, but you can only use one or the other- IOW, even if you set up both kits on the trailer (trailer surround and aux camera), you can only plug one or the other into the 12-pin. That’s why I’m working on modifying the surround view kit harness, so both trailer surround view AND aux 2 camera can be used concurrently.
I hope you can find a solution,. I know a dozen people who would be very happy campers.

Cliffordmvas

Reaction score

I got the 82215770AB and it doesnt work, assuming they changed some pins. do you know what pins are what on the new 2022 12 pin? maybe I can open and move pins. Just want to install one camera for now on back of boat trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread