Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAM 2500 HD

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
On the TFL podcast the head of RAM said very directly when asked about how long this ''bubble'' we are in will last and his response was clear and in line with what all other major players are thinking.. His response was ''we never want to go back to the way things were.. no more 200-300 trucks sitting on the lot and offering big discounts to get the old stockers out.'' This will be the new normal for a very long time.. which is not all bad as yes you will pay more.. but they will hold value better as well. Now that manufacturers have the opportunity to shift the market and keep it this way where trucks are pre-sold and incentives are few and far between. I think it will be one step closer to moving the towards a Tesla buying experience.

ps. Asking for more ''modern'' shifters in a heavy duty truck is pretty much an invitation to start removing heritage and tradition from one of the last things left. Sometimes history even though it may be less efficient, it adds character and a connection that a bean counter does not see a need for. To each their own though..

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I am sure Ram would like to have it that way. But if they start losing sales to brands that have a large selection of trucks sitting on the lots they will change their tune. Trucks have always had a turnover rate out here.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Agreed. If you can’t find what you want/need on-lot with one manufacturer, you might head down the street to another.

dealers are still going to want lots of options for their customers.

UglyViking

Reaction score
On the TFL podcast the head of RAM said very directly when asked about how long this ''bubble'' we are in will last and his response was clear and in line with what all other major players are thinking.. His response was ''we never want to go back to the way things were.. no more 200-300 trucks sitting on the lot and offering big discounts to get the old stockers out.'' This will be the new normal for a very long time.. which is not all bad as yes you will pay more.. but they will hold value better as well. Now that manufacturers have the opportunity to shift the market and keep it this way where trucks are pre-sold and incentives are few and far between. I think it will be one step closer to moving the towards a Tesla buying experience.

ps. Asking for more ''modern'' shifters in a heavy duty truck is pretty much an invitation to start removing heritage and tradition from one of the last things left. Sometimes history even though it may be less efficient, it adds character and a connection that a bean counter does not see a need for. To each their own though..
Yeah, I've heard that as well, but as much as the manufactures would like that to be the case I just don't see it happening to be frank. Let's be real, the trucks were never "worth" the MSRP, which is why dealers/manufactures had to lay down insane rebates. It's not because manufactures or dealers don't know what people want (they have more market research and data than most any other industry), it's just because people have become so engrained that huge sales come numerous times a year, so it's best to wait. Outside of launch model specialty trucks nothing sells for MSRP.

I get why the head of RAM would say that, because he absolutely wants it to be true, and who can blame him? Less discount, trucks would be sold before they hit the lot, dealers make more, like it's a win for everyone except the buyer. Yeah, if prices go up then trucks will maintain their value a little better, but that's just a side effect, and if used trucks cost more, then the second and third buyers will hold them longer, which means less people to purchase the used models, which means prices go down to compensate and move them, which means the vehicles no longer hold their value as well.

If RAM thinks they can move the market then by all means I'm sure they are gonna damn well try and move it in their favor. That said, for 90% of buyers vehicles are a want item, not a need, especially when you're talking 80k trucks. I think that if RAM moves to a order only/primary model they will see people being much more picky about the options and trims they choose, and they would buy much less frequently. Buying a new truck is generally more of something that just happens when you're getting an oil change, but if there isn't enough inventory then you've got too long of a cool off period and sales will slip.

At this point it's all speculation, but I'd be crazy surprised if it at all went the way RAM is hoping for.

P.S. I can't wait for your build thread judging by your sig it's gonna be awesome. I'm toying with the G500s myself as a summer wheel, nothing like them.

MtnRider

Reaction score

Yep, this is the business model of the future. It's what Europe has been doing for a long time and Ford is already starting it as well. No more lot's full of trucks ready to sell with big incentives. There will be a few models to test drive and look over but you will order what you want and wait for it to show up with little to no incentives.

Last edited:

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Yep, this is the business model of the future. It's what Europe has been doing for a long time and Ford is already starting it as well. No more lot's full of trucks ready to roll sell with big incentives. There will be a few models to test drive and look over but you will order what you want and wait for it to show up with little to no incentives.

I don’t think that’s going to fly with 90% of Americans looking for a new vehicle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a feeling he's talking about a side bed step, not the bumper step
One of the few things i like with the new GM trucks is the step by the front of the bed so you dint need wheel to wheel steps to reach in the front of the box
i can see that for small mom and pop dealers but the high volume dealers will still order large quantity's for the lot

MtnRider

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s going to fly with 90% of Americans looking for a new vehicle.

I'd like to say people will not buy it and it will fail but ultimately they will (as they are proving right now) so it will be the "new normal" I'm afraid. People have proved they will do and pay anything so it's our own fault.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
No more lot's full of trucks ready to sell with big incentives

Sounds like a bad plan...I have a buddy who's Dad owned a custom truck body shop in the 70/80's and when someone bought a cab/chasis they would make the body for the owner. Made tons of money, Died almost bankrupt because another company (maybe Erie truck body) had inventory on hand and you could have your truck in a day or 2 instead of waiting for Castello to fab one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad plan...I have a buddy who's Dad owned a custom truck body shop in the 70/80's and when someone bought a cab/chasis they would make the body for the owner. Made tons of money, Died almost bankrupt because another company (maybe Erie truck body) had inventory on hand and you could have your truck in a day or 2 instead of waiting for Castello to fab one.
I see that often in the mining industry usually when the mines call for something they need it yesterday and they are willing to pay lots more to have it faster, they are the only reason we make stuff for stock in our Fab shop otherwise it would be build to order…. Trucks are like that often too i know when i bought my truck i needed it now not 6 months later

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I'd like to say people will not buy it and it will fail but ultimately they will (as they are proving right now) so it will be the "new normal" I'm afraid. People have proved they will do and pay anything so it's our own fault.

You lost me at "New normal". Supply and demand will still push the market.

Internet sales will have a big effect on this utopian theory the CEOs are spouting. People are warming up to the idea of buying major purchases on the Internet. If the few local dealerships don't have the truck someone wants it is now easier for them to find a dealer that does. Most people don't like to wait. I did this with my truck. Found it almost 1800 miles away and had it shipped. My neighbor did the same with a Lexus. We both would have bought locally if they had the inventory.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The biggest problem with this new utopia is that it introduces a completely new model of vehicle buying, without any positives to the end user. You wait longer, and pay more. Sure, you get to pick the exact colors and options you want, but I find most people aren't picky enough for that to be a huge deal.

If manufactures say "hey, we would rather make vehicles for customers rather than dealerships, we will move to an order only model and cut you in on the savings, no haggling, etc." then it might be one thing, but I don't see that happening.

And to compare any manufacture to Tesla is foolish. For better worse Tesla/Elon has a cult following and they can do basically whatever they want and still get people fawning over them, think early iOS Apple. Eventually it will catch up to them but it's still a ways out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the few things i like with the new GM trucks is the step by the front of the bed so you dint need wheel to wheel steps to reach in the front of the box

i can see that for small mom and pop dealers but the high volume dealers will still order large quantity's for the lot

I put an AMP step on the front corner of my bed and with the crossover toolbox there, it's almost useless. I need to move it to in front of the wheel but have to fab a bracket and add a nutsert for a semi-custom install. Just can't seem to find the time or motivation as I'm on the fence about trying to order a 22 Limited.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
And to compare any manufacture to Tesla is foolish.
Oh, I wouldn’t discount manufacturers not following suit with how Tesla does things. GM already announced they are going to go with a “subscribe for features” plan. They are going to start in 2023 MY with a monthly subscription to use the super cruise feature. Eventually, vehicle manufacturers are probably going to start offering models that have all the modules and connectivity in place on every trim level, and have the customer pay a subscription for features they want to use, like safety and driver assist systems.
The wheels are already in motion for consumers to become “numb” to no vehicle inventory, and paying over MSRP for new vehicles that are in stock. Then, when everything goes back to (new?) “normal” in a year or two, we’ll think we’re getting a “deal” on something for MSRP or small incentives.

WXman

Reaction score
What’s wrong with the 68? It’s a fine transmission. Gets good mileage. Reliable. What do you need a 10+ Speed transmission for?

How could Ram realistically justify not updating the cab until 2025? Seems like a huge mistake. Guys will be jumping ship.

And Ford’s 7.3 may as well be their base engine at this point. 6.2 only lands in fleet trucks, sometimes.

As mentioned, paying for R&D that doesn’t exist.

Yep. 6 gears and 429 lb/ft doesn't cut the cheese anymore. It's not 2010.

I don't care what anybody says, if a guy has a choice between a more trusted brand with 10 speeds and 475 lb/ft, 400 of which happen right off idle OR a less trusted brand with 6 speeds and 429 lb/ft it's pretty obvious which company isn't going to get the sale. We are never going to see Ford EVER dethroned from their sales crown if the competition keeps settling for "good enough". It's pathetic.

The 6.4 is so far behind in power AND efficiency that it's not even funny anymore. Most of the videos on YouTube from trusted reviewers has shown the same MPG towing with a Ford 7.3 that the Ram 6.4 gets unloaded.

kxnate

Reaction score

I don't care what anybody says, if a guy has a choice between a more trusted brand with 10 speeds and 475 lb/ft, 400 of which happen right off idle OR a less trusted brand with 6 speeds and 429 lb/ft it's pretty obvious which company isn't going to get the sale. We are never going to see Ford EVER dethroned from their sales crown if the competition keeps settling for "good enough". It's pathetic.

The 6.4 is so far behind in power AND efficiency that it's not even funny anymore. Most of the videos on YouTube from trusted reviewers has shown the same MPG towing with a Ford 7.3 that the Ram 6.4 gets unloaded.
Just FYI, 6.4l Hemi has had an 8 speed auto behind it since 2019, and it is a fantastic transmission in my experience so far.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You are conflating the 6-speed Cummins transmission options (68RFE or Aisin) with the Gas engine torque. The Hemi already has an 8-speed ZF.

Furthermore, I believe the F-150 is included in the "crown" designation and this is about HD trucks.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Oh, I wouldn’t discount manufacturers not following suit with how Tesla does things. GM already announced they are going to go with a “subscribe for features” plan. They are going to start in 2023 MY with a monthly subscription to use the super cruise feature. Eventually, vehicle manufacturers are probably going to start offering models that have all the modules and connectivity in place on every trim level, and have the customer pay a subscription for features they want to use, like safety and driver assist systems.
The wheels are already in motion for consumers to become “numb” to no vehicle inventory, and paying over MSRP for new vehicles that are in stock. Then, when everything goes back to (new?) “normal” in a year or two, we’ll think we’re getting a “deal” on something for MSRP or small incentives.
My point wasn't that there won't be anything other manufactures take away from Tesla, it's the buying model specifically I was addressing and more broadly that comparing other companies as a whole to Tesla is foolish. Don't just take my word for it though, look at the market cap for Tesla vs the global market cap of automakers.

Tesla is worth more than the next largest 6 automakers combined. For a company that just barely started turning a profit that is absolute insanity. I won't even compare Tesla to just US based automakers because I'm pretty sure they are worth more than all US automakers combined.

So, to wrap my point. Tesla is in a bit of a league of it's own here. Justified or not they entered the market in a way that allows them to operate differently than the others, and keep in mind that their product offering is very young, and demand still outpaces supply by a fair margin. Once Tesla gets into the business of actually selling mass market it will likely be a very different game, and that is their end goal, mass market.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My point wasn't that there won't be anything other manufactures take away from Tesla, it's the buying model specifically I was addressing and more broadly that comparing other companies as a whole to Tesla is foolish. Don't just take my word for it though, look at the market cap for Tesla vs the global market cap of automakers.

Tesla is worth more than the next largest 6 automakers combined. For a company that just barely started turning a profit that is absolute insanity. I won't even compare Tesla to just US based automakers because I'm pretty sure they are worth more than all US automakers combined.

So, to wrap my point. Tesla is in a bit of a league of it's own here. Justified or not they entered the market in a way that allows them to operate differently than the others, and keep in mind that their product offering is very young, and demand still outpaces supply by a fair margin. Once Tesla gets into the business of actually selling mass market it will likely be a very different game, and that is their end goal, mass market.
Tesla came out to late, i dont see them being a very long term solution unless they start working with hydrogen… soon hydrogen will surpass electric in was you could not imagine toyotas new hydrogen car is just the start and the upside of hydrogen is no crazy charging times if you are on the road… the only thing i like about electric cars is the fact they keep the local mines in business for the high grade nickel tesla has a few contracts with local mines and we make large money off those mines

Users who are viewing this thread