Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAM 2500 HD

Ramajama

Reaction score
Can any of the insiders dish out a bit more on the 2023 HDs? I hear complete redesign inside and out. Im sure we’ll get plenty of new gimmicks on the tech side and reported bump in diesel power? But I’m interested in the Power Wagon, so any word if they’ll keep it in the 23 lineup? It’s so popular, I suspect they will. I’d love to see a bump in 6.4 power ( who wouldn’t after it being the same for the past 100 years? )
Let us know what you can and I’m sure the insiders will keep us up to date.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Can any of the insiders dish out a bit more on the 2023 HDs? I hear complete redesign inside and out. Im sure we’ll get plenty of new gimmicks on the tech side and reported bump in diesel power? But I’m interested in the Power Wagon, so any word if they’ll keep it in the 23 lineup? It’s so popular, I suspect they will. I’d love to see a bump in 6.4 power ( who wouldn’t after it being the same for the past 100 years? )
Well the 6.4 in the Grand Wagoneer has 471hp,same engine except for some SRT parts,no HD changes on the horizon.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.4l BGE is only 8 model years old. The 5.7l Hemi is 19 and they are still using it. 100 years is a bit of an exaggeration...lol

The 6.4l is still the moat powerful Base engine in HD truck.

Ram is probably gonna keep it there.

But...the 7.0l Banshee we were to get...well...i do not think Godzilla posed a large enough threat yet.

And I would not be surprised if there are no complete changes to the HD til after 2025.

Heck...i believe I heard the 1500 classic is going to be around for 2023.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Honestly, I don’t expect much engine change in next year’s model. I think the manufacturers are going to be watching what happens this year politically… climate change and that stuff. What kind of regulations are going to be put in place… where they’ll need to be at emissions wise and by when.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
The 6.4l BGE is only 8 model years old. The 5.7l Hemi is 19 and they are still using it. 100 years is a bit of an exaggeration...lol

The 6.4l is still the moat powerful Base engine in HD truck.

Ram is probably gonna keep it there.

But...the 7.0l Banshee we were to get...well...i do not think Godzilla posed a large enough threat yet.

And I would not be surprised if there are no complete changes to the HD til after 2025.

Heck...i believe I heard the 1500 classic is going to be around for 2

Yea, but I believe the internals are different.
SRT is built for high RPM, high horsepower.
HD are built for low end torque, pulling power and a work horse that will last.
Yes,different internals for truck use,I asked our engine build guys to verify the block.

Firebird

Reaction score
Well the 6.4 in the Grand Wagoneer has 471hp,same engine except for some SRT parts,no HD changes on the horizon.
I wonder what SRT parts the Jeep has?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Here's some info I found on them. https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...emi-engine-quick-reference-guide-part-iv.html

As we mentioned earlier in this feature, the 6.4L HEMI V8 engine was also used in Ram 2500/3500/4500/5500 in Medium Duty (MD) and Heavy Duty (HD) truck applications going back to around 2015. While the block cylinder heads and rotating assembly offer a great foundation for building a GEN III performance project engine, the truck engine is designed more for low-end torque and heavy load applications. There are some major differences between the HD truck 6.4L HEMI V8 and passenger car/SUV 6.4L/392 HEMI V8 engines you need to be aware of. If one of these pops up at a cheap price, just know what you’re buying. The first difference is that the intake manifold has a top-feed mounted throttle body, and this design has a runner length that’s designed to make max power from 3600 rpm to 5000 rpm. The compression ratio is also lowered to 10.0:1 because of a piston change from the passenger car/SUV 6.4L/392 HEMI V8 engines.

The truck engine still uses a Hypereutectic piston w/oil squirters to reduce heat and a floating pin design that’s attached to a powdered metal I-beam connecting rod. The twin-plug aluminum cylinder head on the truck engines still retain the massive 2.14-inch intake valve and 1.65-inch exhaust valve found on the SRT and Scat Pack vehicles. The cylinder heads are also cast from high-grade T356 aluminum material to withstand any detonation and high-temps under severe towing conditions.

They have a unique casting number of 05045468AE and 68166435AA, AB, AC and AD. This head casting was also used on the 2015 Mopar Challenger Drag Pak engines. The exhaust manifolds on the 6.4L HEMI truck engines are a cast iron design that are more restrictive than the tubular style found on the passenger car/SUV applications. Most folks will probably discard the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds in favor for aftermarket headers during their engine swap project. The camshaft on the HD truck engines is also designed for low-speed torque and not higher rpm horsepower. The net result is a horsepower rating between 366 to 410 @ 5,600 rpm and torque coming at 429 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm. When it comes to out-of-the-box modern performance engines, the stock HD truck 6.4L HEMI engine is not a strip blazer, but with its BGE casting block, 356 aluminum heads, and steel crankshaft, you’ll have a great foundation to build a high-performance engine combo with strong bones to withstand close to 1,000 horsepower.

Firebird

Reaction score
Here's some info I found on them. https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...emi-engine-quick-reference-guide-part-iv.html

As we mentioned earlier in this feature, the 6.4L HEMI V8 engine was also used in Ram 2500/3500/4500/5500 in Medium Duty (MD) and Heavy Duty (HD) truck applications going back to around 2015. While the block cylinder heads and rotating assembly offer a great foundation for building a GEN III performance project engine, the truck engine is designed more for low-end torque and heavy load applications. There are some major differences between the HD truck 6.4L HEMI V8 and passenger car/SUV 6.4L/392 HEMI V8 engines you need to be aware of. If one of these pops up at a cheap price, just know what you’re buying. The first difference is that the intake manifold has a top-feed mounted throttle body, and this design has a runner length that’s designed to make max power from 3600 rpm to 5000 rpm. The compression ratio is also lowered to 10.0:1 because of a piston change from the passenger car/SUV 6.4L/392 HEMI V8 engines.

The truck engine still uses a Hypereutectic piston w/oil squirters to reduce heat and a floating pin design that’s attached to a powdered metal I-beam connecting rod. The twin-plug aluminum cylinder head on the truck engines still retain the massive 2.14-inch intake valve and 1.65-inch exhaust valve found on the SRT and Scat Pack vehicles. The cylinder heads are also cast from high-grade T356 aluminum material to withstand any detonation and high-temps under severe towing conditions.

They have a unique casting number of 05045468AE and 68166435AA, AB, AC and AD. This head casting was also used on the 2015 Mopar Challenger Drag Pak engines. The exhaust manifolds on the 6.4L HEMI truck engines are a cast iron design that are more restrictive than the tubular style found on the passenger car/SUV applications. Most folks will probably discard the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds in favor for aftermarket headers during their engine swap project. The camshaft on the HD truck engines is also designed for low-speed torque and not higher rpm horsepower. The net result is a horsepower rating between 366 to 410 @ 5,600 rpm and torque coming at 429 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm. When it comes to out-of-the-box modern performance engines, the stock HD truck 6.4L HEMI engine is not a strip blazer, but with its BGE casting block, 356 aluminum heads, and steel crankshaft, you’ll have a great foundation to build a high-performance engine combo with strong bones to withstand close to 1,000 horsepower.
I have always wondered if the exhaust manifolds from an SRT 6.4 would work on our trucks?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Any idea what the size is of the collector?

May be detrimental to the HD motor as it's designed for lower end power and the SRT and exhaust is for top end power.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Any idea what the size is of the collector?

May be detrimental to the HD motor as it's designed for lower end power and the SRT and exhaust is for top end power.
No idea,I am sure the outlet would be pointed in a different direction on both sides

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Honestly, I don’t expect much engine change in next year’s model. I think the manufacturers are going to be watching what happens this year politically… climate change and that stuff. What kind of regulations are going to be put in place… where they’ll need to be at emissions wise and by when.
This is a big part of the reason I purchased now versus waiting for next model change. Since emissions and such has taken such a turn recently.. for a new drivetrain to come out and the aftermarket to release good quality and widely available parts is a dream not a reality anymore. The fact that the current Cummins has such support as well as the 68rfe.. even though it may be out of the box slower or less efficient than what will come next or the competition.. but once you make it your own a bit and let it breathe, the truck becomes unbeatable in every aspect. The true way it is meant to be enjoyed.

Lew5

Reaction score
Some changes, but complete redesign 2025

Users who are viewing this thread