Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAM 2500 HD

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep. 6 gears and 429 lb/ft doesn't cut the cheese anymore. It's not 2010.

I don't care what anybody says, if a guy has a choice between a more trusted brand with 10 speeds and 475 lb/ft, 400 of which happen right off idle OR a less trusted brand with 6 speeds and 429 lb/ft it's pretty obvious which company isn't going to get the sale. We are never going to see Ford EVER dethroned from their sales crown if the competition keeps settling for "good enough". It's pathetic.

The 6.4 is so far behind in power AND efficiency that it's not even funny anymore. Most of the videos on YouTube from trusted reviewers has shown the same MPG towing with a Ford 7.3 that the Ram 6.4 gets unloaded.
Ford will never be dethroned simpily because the numbers are not entirely true and as they are the only ones who lease HD trucks and they count leases in the sales numbers…. The biggest reason you see so many company trucks being fords is because the leasing setup they have and company's are better to lease for tax purposes….

Grayson

Reaction score
Ford will never be dethroned simpily because the numbers are not entirely true and as they are the only ones who lease HD trucks and they count leases in the sales numbers…. The biggest reason you see so many company trucks being fords is because the leasing setup they have and company's are better to lease for tax purposes….
Partially true. In the past Ford had priority scheduling for fleet and was much easier to deal with based on the discount per unit list, they also have the production capability to turn them out quicker with the entire order of 5-10 trucks arriving at the same time. Ford also assumes that most companies will return to the dealer for service vs having a dedicated garage.

As far as tax purposes go, a lease doesn't always make a better decision. If purchased Section 179 allows for the entire amount plus bonus depreciation as long as personal use isn't a factor then it's reduced.

GM educator discount is cheaper than purchasing a fleet vehicle, yet you can't use educator discount as any type of company

PapaJoe

Reaction score

I don't care what anybody says, if a guy has a choice between a more trusted brand with 10 speeds and 475 lb/ft, 400 of which happen right off idle OR a less trusted brand with 6 speeds and 429 lb/ft it's pretty obvious which company isn't going to get the sale. We are never going to see Ford EVER dethroned from their sales crown if the competition keeps settling for "good enough". It's pathetic.

The 6.4 is so far behind in power AND efficiency that it's not even funny anymore. Most of the videos on YouTube from trusted reviewers has shown the same MPG towing with a Ford 7.3 that the Ram 6.4 gets unloaded.
Ford automatic transmissions. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PapaJoe

Reaction score
Ford automatic transmissions. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Yep. Owned 3 Fords in my life. 2 of them the transmission was junk. Already seeing info out there that the new 10-speed in the trucks is junk.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Ford has already issued several customer service campaigns (recall) in the 10r140 in the diesels. First one is major, since those transmissions are sealed and not meant for service, not even a dipstick. And no the 10R140 and the GM 10L1000 are not the same transmission.

2. https://ford.oemdtc.com/6570/safety...transmission-replacement-2020-ford-super-duty
Welcome to the future, districts are going away on transmissions and some engines.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
One of the few things i like with the new GM trucks is the step by the front of the bed so you dint need wheel to wheel steps to reach in the front of the box

i can see that for small mom and pop dealers but the high volume dealers will still order large quantity's for the lot
Those steps are useless for me, big feet.

PapaJoe

Reaction score
That's what is on my ordered DJ, you get a little snow on those tiny GM toe holds, YEEHAW!
Yep. There are a few issues with things like that which most people simply don't spend the time/mental energy to consider. But they should.
Plus, those indent steps look like crap on the side of the truck.

Grayson

Reaction score

I had an F-250 7.3 it had the tremor package w/ 4.30 gears and almost 35" tires. My average was 12.7 mpg, unloaded and only used premium. Best mileage was 16mpg on the interstate. I liked the truck and had no intentions of parting with it until the computer died....I didn't have time to wait for it to be fixed (backordered parts) so I traded it on a 2020 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I have a couple friends with the 7.3 Ford, worse mpg not towing, the same when towing, in a few years it won't matter anyway. Remember when trucks had 3 speed trannies and less hp and torque, we were towing the same things just fine.

Grayson

Reaction score
I have a couple friends with the 7.3 Ford, worse mpg not towing, the same when towing, in a few years it won't matter anyway. Remember when trucks had 3 speed trannies and less hp and torque, we were towing the same things just fine.

Yep, got one outside with an AOD. 185hp and able to tow 8,600lbs. Makes you wonder what is the best possible combo.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I had an F-250 7.3 it had the tremor package w/ 4.30 gears and almost 35" tires. My average was 12.7 mpg, unloaded and only used premium. Best mileage was 16mpg on the interstate. I liked the truck and had no intentions of parting with it until the computer died....I didn't have time to wait for it to be fixed (backordered parts) so I traded it on a 2020 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
I had a 2020 F250 XL FX4 7.3/3.55 CCSB. I consistently got 15mpg not towing, w 87 octane. And that was driving it energetically. The 7.3 will haul ass. I would usually get 8.5-9.5mpg towing, 6.5k TT. Running 91 octane yielding better performance, better mpg and less downshifts. Godzilla provides 80% of its max torque at 1600 rpm, the 6.4 isnt even close. 87 octane was fine for most towing.Having owned both the 7.3/10speed/3.55 and now a 2021 6.4/ZF/3.73 the 7.3 is in a completely different league than the 6.4. It is a truck engine that pulls hard from idle to 6k. No BS. Many PS owners are switching with no regrets and no "its okay for a gasser" caveats. The 8HP75 outclassed the 10R140 definitely. The 7.3 is that good, don't believe me, test drive one and be honest. The SD will be completely redesigned for 2023 with the 7.3 reportedly receiving a power bump too. So I'll most likely be looking to order a 2023 F350 XLT w 7.3/4.30 next fall. I'll take the chance that Ford has ironed out the issues with the 10R140, if not 5 star will.

Users who are viewing this thread