Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAM 2500 HD

raven_dt

Reaction score
Too many people live in “Ike Gauntlet” land. Day to day, the current Hemi and 8sp is a hell of a powertrain.
Drive a 7.3/3.55 or better yet drive a 7.3/4.30 it will change your benchmark. The 6.4 is a good car engine adapted for HD truck use, but it's still a car engine with a car engine torque curve.
My 21 Bighorn is a nicer truck than my XL F250 by far. But honestly the SD was more capable: larger crew cab, longer wheelbase, larger bed, more cargo capacity, flat floor, larger fuel tank, more powerful engine that gets better mpg than the 6.4. I've always liked Dodge, now Ram trucks, owned 4 of them. Ram is stagnant in the HD gas engine development and delays in getting the true larger 5th Gen crew cab in place make think that Ram has become complacent. I'm not trying to bang on Ram owners, I'm one too. Ram needs to do more than window dressing for its HD trucks, especially the gas engine option.

Last edited:

Grayson

Reaction score
I had a 2020 F250 XL FX4 7.3/3.55 CCSB. I consistently got 15mpg not towing, w 87 octane. And that was driving it energetically. The 7.3 will haul ass. I would usually get 8.5-9.5mpg towing, 6.5k TT. Running 91 octane yielding better performance, better mpg and less downshifts. Godzilla provides 80% of its max torque at 1600 rpm, the 6.4 isnt even close. 87 octane was fine for most towing.Having owned both the 7.3/10speed/3.55 and now a 2021 6.4/ZF/3.73 the 7.3 is in a completely different league than the 6.4. It is a truck engine that pulls hard from idle to 6k. No BS. Many PS owners are switching with no regrets and no "its okay for a gasser" caveats. The 8HP75 outclassed the 10R140 definitely. The 7.3 is that good, don't believe me, test drive one and be honest. The SD will be completely redesigned for 2023 with the 7.3 reportedly receiving a power bump too. So I'll most likely be looking to order a 2023 F350 XLT w 7.3/4.30 next fall. I'll take the chance that Ford has ironed out the issues with the 10R140, if not 5 star will.
5star won't be able to do anything for you after the redesign; new ECM's are encrypted. Whipple may offer a supercharger with a tune but it will take awhile

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Drive a 7.3/3.55 or better yet drive a 7.3/4.30 it will change your benchmark. The 6.4 is a good car engine adapted for HD truck use, but it's still a car engine with a car engine torque curve.
My 21 Bighorn is a nicer truck than my XL F250 by far. But honestly the SD was more capable: larger crew cab, longer wheelbase, larger bed, more cargo capacity, flat floor, larger fuel tank, more powerful engine that gets better mpg than the 6.4. I've always liked Dodge, now Ram trucks, owned 4 of them. Ram is stagnant in the HD gas engine development and delays in getting the true larger 5th Gen crew cab in place make think that Ram has become complacent. I'm not trying to bang on Ram owners, I'm one too. Ram needs to do more than window dressing for its HD trucks, especially the gas engine option.
The 6.4 is a great power plant but you cant compare the 7.3 to the 6.4 as they were not made for the same purpose…. The 6.4 is perfect for people who need an HD truck but don't need a diesel and they have plenty of power for the average user if you need more power go diesel

raven_dt

Reaction score
5star won't be able to do anything for you after the redesign; new ECM's are encrypted. Whipple may offer a supercharger with a tune but it will take awhile
5star currently offers tunes for the 7.3 and also adjusts shift progamming without a bypass cable.

Forscan allows owners to make changes to their trucks without a bypass cable. I added keyless entry to my truck as one example of Forscan openness.

raven_dt

Reaction score
The 6.4 is a great power plant but you cant compare the 7.3 to the 6.4 as they were not made for the same purpose…. The 6.4 is perfect for people who need an HD truck but don't need a diesel and they have plenty of power for the average user if you need more power go diesel
I think that you missed the point. The 6.4 is a good engine especially considering it's a car engine adapted to the HD truck application. The 7.3 is a *great* truck engine. I expect more power from today's HD engines but don't want a diesel. That's why the 7.3 is popular. It's like thinking vanilla is the best ice cream flavor in the world but then tasting rocky road. The 7.3 is a true HD engine that many diesel owners are switching to with no regrets. Ram is napping. Ram HD trucks deserve a purpose built large displacement gas HD truck engine. GM and Ford each designed one, why not Ram?

Last edited:

raven_dt

Reaction score
The 6.4 is the only gas engine offered in the Ram HD, so the comparison is valid. Maybe a better comparison would be to compare the 6.4 to the old 6.2 base gas engine, same power/torque figures, that will be phased out in the next year or two. Think about that.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The hemi avg max tow is about 15k with a 3500 thats more than id want to be towing with a gas truck anyway, for me its preference but having towed with the 6.4 before it is plenty of engine for a gasser….

senecagreen

Reaction score
The 8 speed behind the gas motor is a good transmission. Building a trans for a diesel it has to be a lot more HD because of the torque. The problem I have with 8 speed and 10 speed diesel transmissions over the 5 and 6 speeds is that unless the transmission is physically bigger as you add gears the clutch packs become smaller. To compensate different clutch pack materials are used but you are still putting a lot of power to a smaller clutch pack and this is reflected in the problems you are hearing about with durability. A gas motor is a lot softer hit on a trans than these modern torque monsters. I have been in on rebuilding a few automatic transmissions. I prefer a stout 5 or 6 speed.

In 6th gear with the 3.73's at 70 mph my 6.7 is sitting on the torque peak. That's perfect for what I tow with my 2500 Ram.

raven_dt

Reaction score
The 8 speed behind the gas motor is a good transmission. Building a trans for a diesel it has to be a lot more HD because of the torque. The problem I have with 8 speed and 10 speed diesel transmissions over the 5 and 6 speeds is that unless the transmission is physically bigger as you add gears the clutch packs become smaller. To compensate different clutch pack materials are used but you are still putting a lot of power to a smaller clutch pack and this is reflected in the problems you are hearing about with durability. A gas motor is a lot softer hit on a trans than these modern torque monsters. I have been in on rebuilding a few automatic transmissions. I prefer a stout 5 or 6 speed.

In 6th gear with the 3.73's at 70 mph my 6.7 is sitting on the torque peak. That's perfect for what I tow with my 2500 Ram.
I had a 6.7 w 3.42 and I would often times lock 6th out especially in town to keep it in the powerband. The move to 3.73 was long overdue.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The 6.4 is the only gas engine offered in the Ram HD, so the comparison is valid. Maybe a better comparison would be to compare the 6.4 to the old 6.2 base gas engine, same power/torque figures, that will be phased out in the next year or two. Think about that.

The 7.3 Ford is a massive upgrade vs. the 6.4. Ive driven both.... It's almost not a conversation. Like you said, the 6.4 is a fair comparo to the Ford 6.2, but not the 7.3.

AJ608

Reaction score
I have a 7.3 F550 it's about 19k lbs.. It will get around 10mph on a long trip. I had a 17 F550 6.7 that would get about 13.5

Ordering a 6.4 3500 with 4:10's .. very rarely towing so should be good

raven_dt

Reaction score
I have a 7.3 F550 it's about 19k lbs.. It will get around 10mph on a long trip. I had a 17 F550 6.7 that would get about 13.5

Ordering a 6.4 3500 with 4:10's .. very rarely towing so should be good
Just a heads up, the 6.4 will get about 10% less mpg (unloaded) than a 7.3/3.55, based on my experience (6.4/3.73). Not sure what rear axle you had in your F550 4.10/4.30/4.88 but mpg may be similar with a 3500/6.4.

AJ608

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the 6.4 will get about 10% less mpg (unloaded) than a 7.3/3.55, based on my experience (6.4/3.73). Not sure what rear axle you had in your F550 4.10/4.30/4.88 but mpg may be similar with a 3500/6.4.
I'm going to put a CM bed on it but it's not going to be nearly as loaded down as my 550. More like a personal/ spare truck.

Ford pissed me off. Bought 10 new vehicles in 12 year span and they wouldn't warranty $4000, so this will be my first Ram. Sold my F250 and this 3500 will be replacing that also sold my Mustang and bought an Audi lol

So many newer diesels stay broke down, even if it's under warranty it being parked isn't making any money plus 12k buys lots of fuel or it use to ..

longhaul

Reaction score
I put an AMP step on the front corner of my bed and with the crossover toolbox there, it's almost useless. I need to move it to in front of the wheel but have to fab a bracket and add a nutsert for a semi-custom install. Just can't seem to find the time or motivation as I'm on the fence about trying to order a 22 Limited.
I was going to install the Bedstep2, but with an RKI 20" crossbox, I would still have to lean around the open lid to get access to the box based on my estimate of where it would be. Do you find it helpful enough to get stuff out of the toolbox to justify $600 for a set?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to install the Bedstep2, but with an RKI 20" crossbox, I would still have to lean around the open lid to get access to the box based on my estimate of where it would be. Do you find it helpful enough to get stuff out of the toolbox to justify $600 for a set?

I still haven't moved it. The only time it gets used is when someone asks what it is and I show them.

I use the hell out of the factory bumper bed step.

I keep most frequently used things within reach and only climb in the bed for less frequently used items, straps, chains, etc.

longhaul

Reaction score

While you are working on that next prototype.....here are my top 10 redesign requests in random order.

1. Ford tow mirrors
2. Redesign the rear view mirror/safety crap that blocks the view for anyone 6'2". I'm tired of doing the limbo to see across the windshield. Couldn't see a full size truck at an intersection bc the monstrosity in the middle blocked the whole thing.
3. Telescoping steering wheel.
4. More quick buttons for seat heaters/coolers without having to use screen.
5. Better factory alignment. 3000 miles and front tires seem to be eating the outsides. And no recalls before my first payment is due on the new one.
6. Fifth wheel prep group that doesn't take up so much bedspace. Ford's is much better so a toolbox and fuel tank don't cover bed anchors.
7. Long bed with Megacab, or better back seat in crew cab.
8. Less wind noise thru back sliding glass.
9. Factory Bedstep2, but mounted slightly further back for toolbox access .
10. Less dead pedal on HO.

longhaul

Reaction score
I still haven't moved it. The only time it gets used is when someone asks what it is and I show them.

I use the hell out of the factory bumper bed step.

I keep most frequently used things within reach and only climb in the bed for less frequently used items, straps, chains, etc.
Thanks. You saved me $600.

Users who are viewing this thread