Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Why would Cummins go to the CP4.2 or was it Fiat, for Fiat is the ultimate approver? I have never liked Fiat, even though they are not made in Germany, at least in the 70’s, they sold a lot of them there, worst car in Germany, they sold them because of the price.

kxnate

Reaction score
Why would Cummins go to the CP4.2 or was it Fiat, for Fiat is the ultimate approver? I have never liked Fiat, even though they are not made in Germany, at least in the 70’s, they sold a lot of them there, worst car in Germany, they sold them because of the price.
I guarantee you Cummins decides and approves what goes on their engines, not RAM/Fiat

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I always thought Cummins was a better company than that. I’m thinking of getting a Cummins X15 with 600 HP in a 389 Peterbuilt Truck. I’m driving a company owned International LT with a lower HP X15 Cummins. This is only in the investigating stage though, TDW must approve that truck. ;)

Pissedramowner

Reaction score
Good evening ram owners. Hope everyone is not as angry as me. So on June 22 I bought a certified pre owned 2020 mega cab DRW longhorn from Miami lakes auto mall. Truck had 10340 miles. Not 10 days later I had just loaded 2 cars into my 34 ft enclosed car hauler when about one mile later the truck just shut down with no warning. Tried to restart and realized that was just not happening. After 2 hours for a tow truck and unloading the 2 cars back to the house they were picked up at and perhaps the nicest gentleman in the world who happened to have a 2500 and offered to bring my trailer back to the yard for me. A guy I didn’t even no helped me with a 10 mile trailer ride. Restores my faith in people. Thank you so much to Anthony in manalapan for helping me. So I waited over 3 hours for a tow truck to bring my now dead truck to Schumacher CJDR in Delray Beach Florida. It was towed on Thursday June 24th. Today I’m writing this and it’s tuesday. Yes it was the CP4. I understand **** happens but RAM should be outright embarrassed how this has been handled. There never is a good time to breakdown But you would think 5 days later that someone just someone would be able to tell me what’s up. I’ve called the dealership, the service manager, the general manager, the salesman, the finance manager and the corporate office of FCa and I have no answers. I use this truck for work. It seems to me that Ram could care less. The customer service is a disaster. The service managers and service writers have absolutely no idea what’s going on. They tell me it could be ready in a week. Now they say maybe 2 weeks. It’s a joke. The lack of support is troubling. No offer for towing reimbursement. No offer for a loaner car. I’m at a dead end. It’s just sad , not that you spend 85000 and 2 weeks later that a truck just dies for no apparent reason , but that a huge company could care less about a customers problems wether a 80000 dollar or 40000 car or truck. Just a joke that I seem to be the punchline. Anyone have thought on what to do. And are they just going to replace the CP4 only to have this happen again.

Attachments

• B1C4B56C-38D4-4C02-B32E-91A00FA81BE6.jpeg
    B1C4B56C-38D4-4C02-B32E-91A00FA81BE6.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 0248FB74-B4CC-46C5-92F2-C2141D2E7818.jpeg
    0248FB74-B4CC-46C5-92F2-C2141D2E7818.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 46

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They are just going to replace the CP4.

There are CP3 aftermarket kits available. Will solve the CP4 issue but will kill your fuel system (perhaps more) warranty.

Matt22

Reaction score
Good morning guys, I hate to be the guy that joins a forum to post about his problems, but I'm quite fed up with this truck, so here it goes. Lets start this story with a bit of background. I've owned diesels from all the big 3. I've put about 400,000Km on VARIOUS 6.7 ford trucks for work with very few major failures on them (company traded off trucks at 160,000km), trucks were 2011-2018. When I was buying this truck I drove a GM truck, simply didn't like it. Drove a ford truck, liked the truck didn't like the dealer experience. Went a drove this one, liked the truck and had a reasonable experience at the dealer. Its a 2020 Bighorn ram 2500 quad cab short box.

The first time my CP4 failed the truck had 2240KM on it, I had been towing my 1970 C10 on an flat deck trailer I'd say maybe 6500lbs total. This was very inconvenient because FCA wouldn't tow the trailer, I had to get help to get the trailer home. Fast forward 2 weeks my wife picked the truck up from the dealer, and decided to drive it a bit. My SECOND CP4 failure happened at 2286KM... That's right 46km later this time it was towed to a second dealer, as it was too far away from the first dealer to be towed back there. Again they kept the truck for about 2 weeks. By the time I had picked up the truck the second time I had owned it for 62days, 31 of which had been spent at dealers. Now the truck is sitting at a third dealer, and I have been told that the pump has failed a THIRD time, the truck currently has 3459km on it. I called FCA Canada and asked for some answers as to what they will do about my extremely unreliable truck, I was told simply that they will repair it to "FCA standards".

I'm lucky in that my pump doesn't seem to fail spectacularly, it simply blows out the front seal of the pump and leaks fuel all over the left of the engine and the frame.

I'm absolutely fed up with this truck, its no good to me I can't trust it. I can't seem to gain any traction with FCA cares, its almost like they seem to think this is reasonable performance out of a band new vehicle that hasn't even come close to seeing its first oil change... I DON'T. I didn't buy a $75,000 truck to spend another $3500-$4000 on it and void the warranty on it so a CP3 swap is out of the question for me, does anyone have any advice for dealing with FCA, or should i just suck it up and trade it in on something else?

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Good morning guys, I hate to be the guy that joins a forum to post about his problems, but I'm quite fed up with this truck, so here it goes. Lets start this story with a bit of background. I've owned diesels from all the big 3. I've put about 400,000Km on VARIOUS 6.7 ford trucks for work with very few major failures on them (company traded off trucks at 160,000km), trucks were 2011-2018. When I was buying this truck I drove a GM truck, simply didn't like it. Drove a ford truck, liked the truck didn't like the dealer experience. Went a drove this one, liked the truck and had a reasonable experience at the dealer. Its a 2020 Bighorn ram 2500 quad cab short box.

The first time my CP4 failed the truck had 2240KM on it, I had been towing my 1970 C10 on an flat deck trailer I'd say maybe 6500lbs total. This was very inconvenient because FCA wouldn't tow the trailer, I had to get help to get the trailer home. Fast forward 2 weeks my wife picked the truck up from the dealer, and decided to drive it a bit. My SECOND CP4 failure happened at 2286KM... That's right 46km later this time it was towed to a second dealer, as it was too far away from the first dealer to be towed back there. Again they kept the truck for about 2 weeks. By the time I had picked up the truck the second time I had owned it for 62days, 31 of which had been spent at dealers. Now the truck is sitting at a third dealer, and I have been told that the pump has failed a THIRD time, the truck currently has 3459km on it. I called FCA Canada and asked for some answers as to what they will do about my extremely unreliable truck, I was told simply that they will repair it to "FCA standards".

I'm lucky in that my pump doesn't seem to fail spectacularly, it simply blows out the front seal of the pump and leaks fuel all over the left of the engine and the frame.

I'm absolutely fed up with this truck, its no good to me I can't trust it. I can't seem to gain any traction with FCA cares, its almost like they seem to think this is reasonable performance out of a band new vehicle that hasn't even come close to seeing its first oil change... I DON'T. I didn't buy a $75,000 truck to spend another $3500-$4000 on it and void the warranty on it so a CP3 swap is out of the question for me, does anyone have any advice for dealing with FCA, or should i just suck it up and trade it in on something else?
Sorry you’re spinning your wheels in a cow pie. I had a 16 Rebel with multiple cases of frozen = no suspension and corporate doesn’t care. On multiple blow outs like yours one would suspect some sort of pressure problem. Hey I am also in COVID-FREE Alberta and wondering where are you getting your fuel and have you tried a different source between blowouts?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Sounds like they are just changing the pump not the rest of the fuel system thats why its failing over and over they have to change everything to get rid of the metal shavings or the fuel you got is garbage has the fuel been emptied after the cp4 blow out?

Matt22

Reaction score
Lawyer up. Sadly, one must do that but I would for sure.

That's on thought I've had, however I also sort of think that if I'm going to throw any real money at the problem I will just trade the truck in on something else instead. I like the truck enough when its running, however at this point its next to useless for me. I wish I wish I my 03' F350 6.0L back that I sold when I bought this truck... It never stranded me anywhere. What kind of lawyer does a guy look for in this situation?

Sorry you’re spinning your wheels in a cow pie. I had a 16 Rebel with multiple cases of frozen = no suspension and corporate doesn’t care. On multiple blow outs like yours one would suspect some sort of pressure problem. Hey I am also in COVID-FREE Alberta and wondering where are you getting your fuel and have you tried a different source between blowouts?

The second dealer it was at said that they had found the return line plugged, they wouldn't tell me with what, but would only say it was a manufacturing defect. Before the first failure this truck had only seen fuel from one CO-OP station that I have more or less exclusively bought fuel from for years when around home. It pumped most of that tank of fuel on the ground, and my wife filled it at an Esso near the first dealer when she picked it up. The last 2 tanks of fuel before the 3rd failure were bough from UFA cardlocks because I had my travel trailer and I find the cardlocks easier with the trailer (Clear diesel). Fuel samples have been taken all 3 times and come back clean. I also suspect a pressure problem somewhere in the system, but bought this brand new truck so that I didn't have to fix it on my days off anymore.

Sounds like they are just changing the pump not the rest of the fuel system thats why its failing over and over they have to change everything to get rid of the metal shavings or the fuel you got is garbage has the fuel been emptied after the cp4 blow out?

As far as I'm being told this pump isn't sending metal shards through the system. I believe that is probably true mostly because the truck never stops running when it fails, it just leaks fuel everywhere. The fuel tank has been drained each time. If this truck is so fragile that I can't pull up to any reasonably busy fuel station in Alberta with good diesel turnover and fill it up its useless to me, I've never had fuel issues with any other diesel I've owned and haven't changed my fueling habits. I understand that additives are a solution for some, nut I also struggle with that for a few reasons. I shouldn't have to make each fueling more expensive, and carry around a bottle of stuff that can spill in my truck just because Ram/Cummins/Bosch can't sort this out. I also don't intend to delete this truck and worry about the long term effect on the DPF/SCR when using additives.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's on thought I've had, however I also sort of think that if I'm going to throw any real money at the problem I will just trade the truck in on something else instead. I like the truck enough when its running, however at this point its next to useless for me. I wish I wish I my 03' F350 6.0L back that I sold when I bought this truck... It never stranded me anywhere. What kind of lawyer does a guy look for in this situation?

The second dealer it was at said that they had found the return line plugged, they wouldn't tell me with what, but would only say it was a manufacturing defect. Before the first failure this truck had only seen fuel from one CO-OP station that I have more or less exclusively bought fuel from for years when around home. It pumped most of that tank of fuel on the ground, and my wife filled it at an Esso near the first dealer when she picked it up. The last 2 tanks of fuel before the 3rd failure were bough from UFA cardlocks because I had my travel trailer and I find the cardlocks easier with the trailer (Clear diesel). Fuel samples have been taken all 3 times and come back clean. I also suspect a pressure problem somewhere in the system, but bought this brand new truck so that I didn't have to fix it on my days off anymore.

As far as I'm being told this pump isn't sending metal shards through the system. I believe that is probably true mostly because the truck never stops running when it fails, it just leaks fuel everywhere. The fuel tank has been drained each time. If this truck is so fragile that I can't pull up to any reasonably busy fuel station in Alberta with good diesel turnover and fill it up its useless to me, I've never had fuel issues with any other diesel I've owned and haven't changed my fueling habits. I understand that additives are a solution for some, nut I also struggle with that for a few reasons. I shouldn't have to make each fueling more expensive, and carry around a bottle of stuff that can spill in my truck just because Ram/Cummins/Bosch can't sort this out. I also don't intend to delete this truck and worry about the long term effect on the DPF/SCR when using additives.
If its only leaking fuel there is something else going on in my mind

sstoner911

Reaction score

Trade it in. Get rid of it.... nothing said here will make things right for you.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I wish I wish I my 03' F350 6.0L back that I sold when I bought this truck... It never stranded me anywhere. What kind of lawyer does a guy look for in this situation?

Im shocked you dont have a quality lawyer on speed dial after owning that truck lol.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Why lock it out, keep up the pressure for us buyers (suckers) for a well known reliable engine that has a flaw. I say keep up the pressure on FCA, I want mine taking care of before failure.

ajp2019ram

Reaction score
I have a 2020 5500 with cp4 failure ,parts are On back order , might be 4 months before I get it back

[MOD EDIT:]

I hate to see this sub forum get clogged up with multiple random CP4 failure threads, so I'm going to ask that all future pump failures be posted in one thread. This thread.

We welcome everyone to HDRams and are by no means trying to suppress anyone's posts, but beginning Jan 9, 2021, If you sign up to post a pump failure and start a new thread, it will be moved/merged into this thread. This decision is not up for discussion.

If members see a new CP4 failure thread that has not been moved/merged after a day or so, please report to the site staff for resolution.

Thanks for your understanding.
I have a 2020 5500 with cp4 failure ,parts are On back order , might be 4 months before I get it back

[MOD EDIT:]

I hate to see this sub forum get clogged up with multiple random CP4 failure threads, so I'm going to ask that all future pump failures be posted in one thread. This thread.

We welcome everyone to HDRams and are by no means trying to suppress anyone's posts, but beginning Jan 9, 2021, If you sign up to post a pump failure and start a new thread, it will be moved/merged into this thread. This decision is not up for discussion.

If members see a new CP4 failure thread that has not been moved/merged after a day or so, please report to the site staff for resolution.

Thanks for your understanding.
Wasn’t sure where to post, but wanted to share. I have a 2019 3500 Srw with the HO Cummins and while towing my camper from PA to Mich. it left me and my family on the side of the road due to the CP4 failing. We were over 3 hours from home with no where to turn for help. Ram roadside assistance never picked up. So, after two hours we ended up finding a tow company to remove the truck and camper to a campground less than a mile away for $260. My wife had our trip all planned out with different campgrounds along the way and planned excursions that never happened. The truck is currently in the shop waiting on back ordered parts. It only has 19,400 miles on it. It ruined our vacation that has been planned since January and now I sit at home instead of being on a camping trip. Our excursions and campsites were mostly non-refundable, so we have had to eat those too. Where are you at, RAMCares? This is highly frustrating and makes me question what my next truck will be. The worst part is that Ram knew enough about the possibility of a failure to write the TSB for the repair, but why not just recall? This has ruined our vacation and a life-long customer.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
The last thread about CP4"s was locked. Last word from RAMCARES was a fix was to be released by the end of the 3rd quarter of 2021 for us 19-20 owners. I hoping mine holds out till then. Could be a trade for a 21 or S&S CP3 install. Depending on the "FIX".....

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Some times the "on topic" prime directive of a certain mod goes a little too far. That thread may have started as 21 info but it was the definitive CP4 thread on the whole damn internet and in my opinion directly drove official responses from RAM that appeared nowhere else on the internet, as well as increases to traffic to the site of people with RAM HDs that may not otherwise be here. Locking it was a mistake and there's part of me that wonders if RAM requested it to be done because of the bad PR and pressure it put on them. The admin of this site gets good insider info from them to drive the front page news and traffic and I'm sure doesn't want beef with RAM.

Don't be surprised if we never hear from RAMCARES again about the CP4. That thread was the only pressure they had on them to respond. If I disappear from the site for this, remember me for the lulz. For being at the CP4 rallying front line, but most importantly, for my epic post to reaction ratio lol.

Last edited:

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Some times the "on topic" prime directive of a certain mod goes a little too far. That thread may have started as 21 info but it was the definitive CP4 thread on the whole damn internet and in my opinion directly drove official responses from RAM that appeared nowhere else on the internet, as well as increases to traffic to the site of people with RAM HDs that may not otherwise be here. Locking it was a mistake and there's part of me that wonders if RAM requested it to be done because of the bad PR and pressure it put on them. The admin of this site gets good insider info from them to drive the front page news and traffic and I'm sure doesn't want beef with RAM.

Don't be surprised if we never hear from RAMCARES again about the CP4. That thread was the only pressure they had on them to respond. If I disappear from the site for this, remember me for the lulz. For being at the CP4 rallying front line, but most importantly, for my epic post to reaction ratio lol.
You could be right. I hold out till Sept 30th and see if they have anything good to say. Might be poop or get off the pot time. I'm tired of trying to figure out the "what ifs" as I am descending a 6% grade and doing scenarios like i used to as a Cop. "ok, if it goes out here, can I get over there without blah blah".... Takes the fun outta the trip. Love the truck, great towing machine.

Xflight29

Reaction score
You could be right. I hold out till Sept 30th and see if they have anything good to say. Might be poop or get off the pot time. I'm tired of trying to figure out the "what ifs" as I am descending a 6% grade and doing scenarios like i used to as a Cop. "ok, if it goes out here, can I get over there without blah blah".... Takes the fun outta the trip. Love the truck, great towing machine.
You cant worried about something that hasn't even happen . Enjoy the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread