American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) have been building some amazing off-road-oriented Mopar vehicles for the past two decades. The Michigan upfitter has been modifying Jeep® Wranglers for a number of years but has expanded its portfolio to include the Gladiator and the Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty.
The company’s Prospector XL package is AEV’s ultimate adventurer, which maximizes ground clearance, and takes the Ram Heavy Duty to the next level for off-roaders. The Prospector XL package is available on both the Ram 2500/3500, on a number of cab configurations and trim levels.
This particular unit that AEV has built, is based on the 2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn Sport Regular Cab 4×4. That’s right, it’s a Regular Cab. Something that seems to be a bit of an oddity in today’s world. But we absolutely love this build.
So what makes the Prospector XL so special? Let’s take a look at the standard features of the Prospector XL package…
- AEV Ram Heavy Duty Front Bumper
- AEV Ram Heavy Duty Rear Bumper
- AEV Non-Winch Cover Plate
- AEV Front Bumper Low Tube
- AEV Exhaust Tip Extension
- AEV HighMark Fender Flares
- AEV Windshield Banner
- AEV 3-Inch DualSport RT Suspension
- AEV ProCal SNAP Module
- AEV Katla Wheels – Black (4)
- AEV 40-Inch Cooper Mud-Terrain Tires (4)
- Tire Pressure Sensors (TPMS)
- AEV Hydraulic-Assist Steering
- AEV Logo Headrests
- AEV Instrument Panel Cluster Overlay
- AEV Branding Package
AEV improves off-road articulation while actually outperforming stock Rams in pavement handling tests. Factory springs and control arms are retained but are optimized with 3-inch cast aluminum coil spacers and front brackets that reposition the control arms and axle an inch forward. This improves fender-well clearance during suspension cycling. To control unsprung weight, AEV co-engineered Bilstein 5160-series remote reservoir shocks with Prospector XL-specific digressive valving. The benefits are less damping at low speeds and increased firmness as speeds rise, improving control.
Corrective components include extended swaybar end links, bump stop lowering brackets, and an aluminum front driveshaft spacer. Additionally, the AEV Hydraulic-Assist Kit restores factory geometry with a replacement draglink, track bar, and track bar tower. These components correct roll center height, body roll, bump steer, and roll steer. Stock steering feel is restored by AEV’s heavy-duty Hydraulic Assist Steering Kit.
AEV engineered the Prospector XL to ride and handle better than stock – on up to 40-inch tires. The key is keeping the vehicle’s center of gravity as low as possible. The AEV HighMark Fender Flares increase the fender radius for maximum tire clearance with only the AEV 3-inch DualSport suspension lift. The flares also combine with proper-offset AEV wheels to accommodate 13.5-inch-wide tires for a wider, more stable stance with no steering clearance issues.
The Prospector XL package will set you back $20,999 for the standard features. However, AEV will customize your Ram 2500/3500 even further with custom paintwork or add even more accessories for those Overlanding adventures.
On this particular model, for example, AEV has added the following optional equipment:
- AEV 8100 Series Shock Upgrade – $2,140
- AEV 3-Inch Air Suspension Upgrade – $165
- AEV Full-Size 40-Inch Spare Tire – $977
- AEV Vertical Tire Mount – $759
- Come-Up 16.5 Winch – $2,653
- AEV LED Off-Road Lights (4) – $2,801
- Rear Bumper LED Lights – $595
- AEV Premium Leather Upgrade – $2,405
- ARV Snorkel with Air Ram – $1,069
- Mopar Power Side Steps – $2,420
- AEV Intercooler Skid Plate – $532
- AEV Low Tube Reinforcement Kit – $106
- AEV Exhaust Tip Extension – $282
- AEV Branding Package – $200
- AEV Rear Splash Guards – $118
Overall, this truck has $38,221 in AEV equipment installed on it. Add that to the price of the 2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn Sport Regular Cab 4×4 with the following options:
- 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
- 6-Speed Automatic Aisin AS69RC HD Transmission
- Electronic Stability Control
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- Snow Chief
- Premium Lighting Group
- Sport Appearance Package
- Bed Utility Group
- Level C Equipment Group
- Rear Sliding Window
- Rear Wheelhouse Liners
- Engine Block Heater
- Premium 7-Speaker System with Amplifier
- Automatic-Leveling Rear Air-Suspension
- Uconnect 5 Nav with 12.0-Inch Touch Screen Display
The Ram has a U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $79,265. Yes, an almost $80,000 Regular Cab Big Horn (the world has gone insane!). Add that to the $38,221 in AEV options and a shipping price of $2,300, and the total for this awesome build is $119,786.
Now, there are several different and cheaper ways to configure a Ram 2500/3500 for an AEV Prospector XL build. But despite its hefty price tag, we still enjoy seeing a lifted Regular Cab!
This truck is currently in inventory at Huntington Beach CDJR in Huntington Beach, California. The dealer has the truck listed on their site for $121,565.
2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn Sport Regular Cab 4×4 AEV Prospector XL Image Gallery:
You must be logged in to post a comment.