Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:

gpittz82

Reaction score
New here and glad that I found this thread. I worked at ZF Gray Court for several years where the 8HP is produced. Buddy of mine works in R&D at the plant. He told me that they have been testing the 8hp powerline for a little while now. Said that ZF had just signed a new contract with PACCAR which works with Peterbilt, Penske etc.

I had seen a video saying Allison and ZF could be the new choice for RAM HD. Blah blah blah GM doesn't have a contract with Allison anymore that GM was producing the 10 speed with the Allison name on it. Not sure how much water that info holds.

I reached out to a friend in Germany asking about the possibility of the 8hp powerline going in the RAM HD trucks. No word yet due to the time difference. Will update once I get some feedback.

gpittz82

Reaction score
@ ZF Gray Court they have only tested the 8hp powerline on an electric motor. Just testing for saturation and functionality. They got a Penske test mule a few weeks ago but have yet to bolt it up and begin road and Dyno testing.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I think your statement is laying down smoke for something that’s happening now. Almost 2 weeks of production (at 760 p/day) and it doesn’t appear that any 22MY has gone KZ status. BTW, I do appreciate what you share considering the position your in.

2022’s are not getting a new trans. Although that’d be great news, it would have been out by now if true.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
2022’s are not getting a new trans. Although that’d be great news, it would have been out by now if true.
Yeah, it’d be on the 2022 configurator that dealers have and also build sheets for already built trucks.

Summit1

Reaction score
ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:
New Automatic Transmission Could Replace 6-Speed Automatics...

I would like to see the 8AP available in the Ram HD trucks, but one article I read recently stated that transmission is rated for a maximum torque of 1000 lbs-ft. The Cummins 6.7L HO puts out a bit more than that, so the most recently discussed 8AP would likely not handle that very well. Mate it to the standard output 6.7L and it could be a winner, but maybe Ram is waiting for something that can eliminate both the 68RFE and the AS69RC.

Maybe, considering the shortages of parts, etc., a new transmission will not be released for a while.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
A little late, the 23's are out

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see the 8AP available in the Ram HD trucks, but one article I read recently stated that transmission is rated for a maximum torque of 1000 lbs-ft. The Cummins 6.7L HO puts out a bit more than that, so the most recently discussed 8AP would likely not handle that very well. Mate it to the standard output 6.7L and it could be a winner, but maybe Ram is waiting for something that can eliminate both the 68RFE and the AS69RC.

Maybe, considering the shortages of parts, etc., a new transmission will not be released for a while.

LOL, That's a 2 year old post from a 4 year old rumor.

Summit1

Reaction score
A little late, the 23's are out
It would, if at all, have to be in the 2024's or later, and that would be if ZF could provide enough transmissions to meet the demand and/or if they could be manufactured to ZF specifications in the US or elsewhere. Availability of parts, facilities, and labor could be a problem, provided such a transmission could reliably withstand the torque of the Diesel engines used by Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread