Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:
New Automatic Transmission Could Replace 6-Speed Automatics...

D

Deleted member 80

It had better come a lot sooner than 2023, if they intend to stay competitive.

D

Deleted member 80

While I don't personally subscribe to the "more is always better" philosophy, you can rest assured that if the 8 speed rolled out tomorrow, the immediate chorus will be that the other guys already have 10 speeds. Whatever they bring, it better improve performance, IMPROVE MPG, be much, much more refined, have super reliability/longevity, and if it is a ZF it better not take $30/quart fluid like the ZF in the gassers. Many commercial buyers won't stand for it.

Squatch

Reaction score
While I don't personally subscribe to the "more is always better" philosophy, you can rest assured that if the 8 speed rolled out tomorrow, the immediate chorus will be that the other guys already have 10 speeds. Whatever they bring, it better improve performance, IMPROVE MPG, be much, much more refined, have super reliability/longevity, and if it is a ZF it better not take $30/quart fluid like the ZF in the gassers. Many commercial buyers won't stand for it.
Do you know how often we are supposed to do the ZF tranny fluid?

D

Deleted member 80

Do you know how often we are supposed to do the ZF tranny fluid?
I don't, but I have seen debates on other forums about the factory interval for the 1500s being longer than ZF recommends, etc. My buddy has a '19 2500, I can look in his manual when I see him.

People complain that the 30K/60K interval on the Aisin is too short. It doesn't bother me, and Mobil 3309 is about 50% or less the price of the Mopar ASRC fluid. No brainer.

D

Deleted member 80

Man, for pulling heavy, and/or commercial use I just can not put any faith in a claim of "Lifetime Fluid". That's marketing, not maintenance, IMHO.

Squatch

Reaction score
Man, for pulling heavy, and/or commercial use I just can not put any faith in a claim of "Lifetime Fluid". That's marketing, not maintenance, IMHO.
Yes, nuts right? I’m thinking I’m just going to do every 50k

zblink1888

Reaction score
you need a scan tool, drain transmission, drop pan...replace with new transmission oil pan (filters are integrated) and buy like 8-10 qts of the ZF unicorn piss required oil.

then fill with X amount and then start vehicle wait until within a certain operating temp then there is a hokey pokey P,D,R,D whatever maneuver and then check fill level all within staying in a certain fluid temp window.

that is from off the top of my head but there is an actual called out procedure. ZF i think recommends 75-100K in normal "ideal" scenarios

between fluid and new pan its like $400ish before labor

Vapor567

Reaction score
Anyone know why exactly the interval is much longer than other HD transmissions?

zblink1888

Reaction score
Ram says lifetime fluid and that because the transmission is basically non serviceable from a basic dealership maintenance standpoint (but Ram also states lifetime as 100 or 150K id have to dig out which one it is, so if you want your transmission to last longer than that id change it). And without a professional scan tool / proper diagnostic tools you cannot do a transmission oil change so that will also rule out a lot of DIY'ers

Per Ram and ZF a fluid exchange process is a no no so your 10 minute oil change places are out of luck as well

I plan on doing it at 50K intervals and im not hauling / towing heavy

Squatch

Reaction score
You guys sure about the scan tool? The guys with the 8 speed in the 1500s have a bunch of videos doing that procedure and no scan tool involved. Is the hp75 that much different than the hp70? It actually looks like a piece of cake, albeit a messy piece of cake.

Squatch

Reaction score

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
Is there a metal pan upgrade I can give to a mechanic when I go in to change? The plastic pam seems a bit off for an HD transmission under an "off road" package. I am looking at the Dethloff skid plate but I don't think I'll need something so stout here in Louisiana. I'd probably only hit stumps here. Otherwise, I am in absolute love with the truck and the transmission. I come from a 2009 Sierra, and while I loved that truck, and teared up a bit from memories, I despised that transmission.

Squatch

Reaction score
Is there a metal pan upgrade I can give to a mechanic when I go in to change? The plastic pam seems a bit off for an HD transmission under an "off road" package. I am looking at the Dethloff skid plate but I don't think I'll need something so stout here in Louisiana. I'd probably only hit stumps here. Otherwise, I am in absolute love with the truck and the transmission. I come from a 2009 Sierra, and while I loved that truck, and teared up a bit from memories, I despised that transmission.
Wonder if this would do the trick. Care to be a guinea pig?

Users who are viewing this thread