Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:

Minimization

Reaction score
They say the 2023 ZF NA manufacturing plant comes online in 2023 to support the North American Market. That is far too long with the competition having 10 speeds out in late 2019. This transmission does have a name though and has been tested in Ram HD with Cummins. Also, Stellantis uses ZF for many of their cars already.

That being said, the new Allison 9 speed automatic for medium duty trucks has been mentioned as far back as 2.5 y ago. No model name or specifications for it yet, but sounds like it may be closer to being ready for Ram?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They say the 2023 ZF NA manufacturing plant comes online in 2023 to support the North American Market. That is far too long with the competition having 10 speeds out in late 2019. This transmission does have a name though and has been tested in Ram HD with Cummins. Also, Stellantis uses ZF for many of their cars already.

That being said, the new Allison 9 speed automatic for medium duty trucks has been mentioned as far back as 2.5 y ago. No model name or specifications for it yet, but sounds like it may be closer to being ready for Ram?
I am more than happy with a 6 speed the cummins out tows and gets better millage with the 6 speed than any other diesel with their higher gear count this is coming from all the guys i know who have the fords and d maxes from what they tell me they get for millage..... anything more than an auto with 6 gears behind a diesel belongs in a transport in my opinion....

D

Deleted member 80

I hate to admit it, but the new Ford's get better MPG in every test I have seen or read, empty and at Max GCWR. The Duramax has pretty much caught up to our loaded MPG when pulling, and better empty.

I like the ruggedness of the Aisin, but after riding in two of my friends L5P GMs, a 6 speed and a ten speed, their shift quality and smooth operation, without being the least bit slushy, absolutely put my Aisin to shame. No clunking, no getting confused around town, no double-tap lurching at TC lockup. They also get no shudder when pulling heavy, where mine will sometimes shake you out of the seat mostly on the 2-3 upshift. Sorry to say Ram definitely needs to step it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You guys should be excited about getting a ZF behind a Cummins. ZF 8 speed transmissions are the best transmissions in the world, ever, period.

Maybe You guys that are worried about lifetime fluid haven’t bothered to research exactly how advanced synthetic fluid technology has become.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You guys should be excited about getting a ZF behind a Cummins. ZF 8 speed transmissions are the best transmissions in the world, ever, period.

Maybe You guys that are worried about lifetime fluid haven’t bothered to research exactly how advanced synthetic fluid technology has become.
Why would i be excited im not buying another new truck for many many years as i keep my trucks a long time lol

MEGA HO

Reaction score
X2, my previous truck lasted me 10 years. Would still dive it now if my needs didn't change but I needed a heavier truck than a 5.7 Tundra.

garyh

Reaction score
yeah and on my BMW X5 4.4l that I had a trans (ZF) go out on at 120k, the dealer tech told me that they consider 100K as a transmission lifetime. He recommended draining, measuring oil removed, and replacing that amount of fluid every 50k. He said you would only be replacing about 1/3 of the total volume because of the oil volume in the torque convertor, but it would improve the longevity.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
BringMoreWrenches! It wont be the same trans though,Ram has had good luck with ZF so far

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
10 Speed transmissions behind a Diesel is just marketing bling,more is not always better
Exactly, if you look at the final drives from all 3 company's they are almost the same so its only the in between gears which dont really get used often…. I remember when the NV4500 and NV5600 were always compared by people without brains saying how much better the nv5600 was for fuel milage when the only difference was one gear that split the 3-4 shift from the nv4500 other than that all the other gears were identical ratios… its a marketing game and unless the 3500s start pulling 45-50k lbs then a 6speed is more than enough gears, more gears means more failure points and a larger heavier trans

Users who are viewing this thread