Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF’s New PowerLine 8-Speed Automatic Could Make It To Cummins Diesel Rams:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Exactly, if you look at the final drives from all 3 company's they are almost the same so its only the in between gears which dont really get used often…. I remember when the NV4500 and NV5600 were always compared by people without brains saying how much better the nv5600 was for fuel milage when the only difference was one gear that split the 3-4 shift from the nv4500 other than that all the other gears were identical ratios… its a marketing game and unless the 3500s start pulling 45-50k lbs then a 6speed is more than enough gears, more gears means more failure points and a larger heavier trans

They have their place in gas engines with a large RPM spread.

Diesels, however, dont have much need/use for 10 speeds due to the short RPM range and flat/mountainous torque curve.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They have their place in gas engines with a large RPM spread.

Diesels, however, dont have much need/use for 10 speeds due to the short RPM range and flat/mountainous torque curve.
Yes i guess i should have clarified i was only referring to diesels

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Cummins don't NEED 8 gears, but I would take the ZF 8-speed with 2nd gear no load starts and skip shift in a heartbeat.

The current Aisin 1st gear is great for moving a load but too low for empty driving. The abrupt downshifts in TH mode with EB can be a bit harsh. An extra gear split in there would help.

I think the only thing that would bug me is the electronic dial and the possibility of issues like the current ZF trucks can have with it going into limp or park in the middle of an intersection.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Cummins don't NEED 8 gears, but I would take the ZF 8-speed with 2nd gear no load starts and skip shift in a heartbeat.

The current Aisin 1st gear is great for moving a load but too low for empty driving. The abrupt downshifts in TH mode with EB can be a bit harsh. An extra gear split in there would help.

I think the only thing that would bug me is the electronic dial and the possibility of issues like the current ZF trucks can have with it going into limp or park in the middle of an intersection.
Well.....

Minimization

Reaction score
Exactly, if you look at the final drives from all 3 company's they are almost the same so its only the in between gears which dont really get used often…. I remember when the NV4500 and NV5600 were always compared by people without brains saying how much better the nv5600 was for fuel milage when the only difference was one gear that split the 3-4 shift from the nv4500 other than that all the other gears were identical ratios… its a marketing game and unless the 3500s start pulling 45-50k lbs then a 6speed is more than enough gears, more gears means more failure points and a larger heavier trans
Well then, why not just go back to a Gen. 3 4 speed then?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well then, why not just go back to a Gen. 3 4 speed then?
There is to much spread between speeds where the 6 speed is almost ideal, my 48re does just fine for what it is but ends up holding gears for longer

Minimization

Reaction score
BringMoreWrenches! It wont be the same trans though,Ram has had good luck with ZF so far
ZF are used in heavy duty trucks throughout Europe. 700 hp class MAN and Scania, etc. They are no joke. M-B makes their own transmissions.

Example: MAN D2868 16.2 L V8 (671 hp/2,213 lb ft) with ZF AS-Tronic 16 speed.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Both Ford and GM improved mi/gal highway and acceleration going from 6 to 10 speeds.
That has been proven myth look at the ike gauntlet challenge videos the mpg is close across the board less than 1MPG variance and the acceleration is marginal at best they are V8 are naturally faster but I6 is stronger

Minimization

Reaction score
Please cite your source (there wont be one). None of that is published and hasnt been in decades for HD diesel trucks.

Sounds like a great idea.
Not an exact direct comparison but the difference is so large that most of it has to be attributed to gearing.

Car and Driver hit 0-60 mi/h in 6.1 s in a 2020 F250 CC SB 4x4. I believe they have a number for a similar but 6 speed at 6.5 s or something. I will try to locate these sources.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not an exact direct comparison but the difference is so large that most of it has to be attributed to gearing.

Car and Driver hit 0-60 mi/h in 6.1 s in a 2020 F250 CC SB 4x4. I believe they have a number for a similar but 6 speed at 6.5 s or something. I will try to locate these sources.
This is laughable at best as a source and .4 of a second is minimal and could be driver error for such a minimal difference…also as far as i am concerned 0-60 claims have no bearing on hd trucks when they are made for towing not racing

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
If you could only see the future...

gimmie11s

Reaction score
This is laughable at best as a source and .4 of a second is minimal and could be driver error for such a minimal difference…also as far as i am concerned 0-60 claims have no bearing on hd trucks when they are made for towing not racing

The 2020 power strokes dyno about 50 wheel horsepower higher than the 2019’s and 70-75 more wheel torque.

That would be the reason they are .4 faster to 60, not the trans.

Bamabuggy

Reaction score
Be patient, maybe a couple years
I think your statement is laying down smoke for something that’s happening now. Almost 2 weeks of production (at 760 p/day) and it doesn’t appear that any 22MY has gone KZ status. BTW, I do appreciate what you share considering the position your in.

Users who are viewing this thread