Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people like cab/clearance lights so much?

OuterUB

Reaction score
i was never really into cab lights but a lot of these bighorn night editions seem to come with them, i looked at 3 of these trucks and they all had cab lights.. they are really hit or miss for a lot of people, that being said i didn't mind them when i got the truck it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. I have the recon ice white ones and i think that will it look a little cleaner but im having trouble installing...
View attachment 42135

:D Great Forum name my friend !!! :D

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
i was never really into cab lights but a lot of these bighorn night editions seem to come with them, i looked at 3 of these trucks and they all had cab lights.. they are really hit or miss for a lot of people, that being said i didn't mind them when i got the truck it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. I have the recon ice white ones and i think that will it look a little cleaner but im having trouble installing...
View attachment 42135
Id avoid the recons they always are a hassle after time with lights not working or flickering and they dont tend to seal well

OuterUB

Reaction score
I ordered my RAM 2500 and specifically chose not to have them installed. On a side note Chevy HD's have the most horrific looking cab lights I ever saw.
Aaaaaabsolutely ! Just plain uuuugly. (The Chevy lights that is ....)

OuterUB

Reaction score
I'm still loving my Cab Over America stick-ons !

Redfour5

Reaction score
The Snow Chief package is often picked by dealers with the primary reason being the anti-slip diff but with the extra goodies people often want one or two of.

220 Amp Alternator
Anti-Spin Differential
Instrument Panel Mounted Auxiliary Switches
Clearance Lamps
Transfer Skid Plate
Off Road tires (sort of)

You get some decent things for not a huge price. I want the aux switches as I might add extras lights, winch etc., and the after market switches generally are poo stuck on the dash somewhere or costing about what the Snow Chief package cost anyway. The 220 Amp alternator won't hurt with those things. You can see where each thing might be helpful if you ever intend to plow.

Anti-spin is a must for me as my 2013 did NOT have it and here in MT in the winter they do help irrespective of all their criticisms, like at the mailboxes with the polished ice trying to get up the hill. I feel the slip grab instead of just sitting there spinning, backing up, sliding sideways and finally getting traction. Who doesn't want their transfer case better protected? The tires? Well, I'll be getting better ones once these even hint at bad performance in the winter, but I am not coughing up 1K plus for tires until I have to. The lights I didn't care one way or the other, but the wife noticed them and liked them so... And she's a keeper as she likes aftermarket bumpers and a winch... I also bought the AMP Research running boards. I didn't tell her what they cost but they were a MUST on the 2500... She does like the lights at night...

jsalbre

Reaction score
View attachment 42135
Those LED bulbs in your designed-for-halogen headlights and fog lights are actually hurting your vision instead of helping it, and likely doing the same to other drivers. If you want LED lights I’d suggest actually upgrading the housings.

RichM752

Reaction score
I got the snow chief package, and sold those "off road tires" with less than 500 miles for $600 to a retired SeaBee. He and I were both happy with the deal.

Reaction score
im having a problem getting them to seal, they keep popping out. i gave up and kept the stocks. waste of 120 bucks.
Id avoid the recons they always are a hassle after time with lights not working or flickering and they dont tend to seal well

Those LED bulbs in your designed-for-halogen headlights and fog lights are actually hurting your vision instead of helping it, and likely doing the same to other drivers. If you want LED lights I’d suggest actually upgrading the housings.
i plan on getting the Laramie style headlights at some point. a few more suspension parts first

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Depends on the bulbs check out Headlight revolution they show the light patterns of different brands and some are identical to the halogen pattern just brighter

jsalbre

Reaction score
Depends on the bulbs check out Headlight revolution they show the light patterns of different brands and some are identical to the halogen pattern just brighter
I looked at that site and found bulbs for Ram HDs, but no beam patterns for them, just lots of claims that the bulbs are positioned to work properly, which is impossible due to physics.

Daniel Stern, who is pretty much the expert on automotive lighting in North America, has an article detailing the issue: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I looked at that site and found bulbs for Ram HDs, but no beam patterns for them, just lots of claims that the bulbs are positioned to work properly, which is impossible due to physics.

Daniel Stern, who is pretty much the expert on automotive lighting in North America, has an article detailing the issue: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
Their youtube video shows it… dont get me wrong i am a firm believer in proper led/HID projector housings i have built a few of my own but still there are plenty of bulbs that do have proper beam patterns

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Recons are sh*t.

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
As you know, I'm a fan of the clearance lights. Someone mentioned that they are used to determine if you can fit under a bridge or whatnot, by observing how the lights are illumating the obstacle. So I had to drive down to SF and without thinking of parking garages, we booked a downtown hotel. When we get there the parking garage has a bar at the entrance the says the clearance is 5'-10"
I know my truck is just under 7 feet I think. The manager said I would fit, and if it was close he would move the bar for me so I could fit in (which he had t o). I wasn't sure but proceeded with caution. As we were going under I beams that were painted white I was observing the light that my clearance lights were giving off, and I can say it actually does work. It's funny because I had just read the latest comments about this recently on here. It's not perfect, but I used it, and it worked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread