Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

Sam 15

Reaction score
Added a tailgate ladder with 360° swivel. I went with the AA products ladder for the round tube steps opposed the the wide step treads so they don't intrude into the bed as far due to the 5th wheel hitch in the bed. We are doing a flooring job so went to home depot and picked up a toilet. I could not get it into the bed because the 5th wheel hitch (Demco 18k slider) so I had to tie it down with the tailgate down to get it home. Getting my old a$$ up in the bed with the tailgate down was a chore, hence the ladder addition. The ladder came with a strap to hold the ladder in place, but that had U brackets that would stick up about an inch above the tailgate taking away the ability to slide something across the tailgate. The strap also left too much movement and the ability to rattle while driving so I added a rivnut and a simple rubber clamp that can be removed easily/quickly with a screwdriver when I need to use the ladder. The rubber clamp holds the ladder firmly in place. Here's the link to the ladder. It says "call to inquire" for availibility, which I did and they were available at the warehouse and I received it in 2 days.

Attachments

• 20221209_112352[1].jpg
    20221209_112352[1].jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221209_112506[1].jpg
    20221209_112506[1].jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20221209_112654[1].jpg
    20221209_112654[1].jpg
    727 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221209_113352[1].jpg
    20221209_113352[1].jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20221209_151907[1].jpg
    20221209_151907[1].jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 112

unclelala

Reaction score
Added a tailgate ladder with 360° swivel. I went with the AA products ladder for the round tube steps opposed the the wide step treads so they don't intrude into the bed as far due to the 5th wheel hitch in the bed. We are doing a flooring job so went to home depot and picked up a toilet. I could not get it into the bed because the 5th wheel hitch (Demco 18k slider) so I had to tie it down with the tailgate down to get it home. Getting my old a$$ up in the bed with the tailgate down was a chore, hence the ladder addition. The ladder came with a strap to hold the ladder in place, but that had U brackets that would stick up about an inch above the tailgate taking away the ability to slide something across the tailgate. The strap also left too much movement and the ability to rattle while driving so I added a rivnut and a simple rubber clamp that can be removed easily/quickly with a screwdriver when I need to use the ladder. The rubber clamp holds the ladder firmly in place. Here's the link to the ladder. It says "call to inquire" for availibility, which I did and they were available at the warehouse and I received it in 2 days.

I bought and installed one about a year ago BUT its not nearly as nice as yours... Mine doesn't swivel around to the front like yours and I paid as much for mine...very clever design

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Installed Bilstein 5100 shocks today.

Feels firmer and a bit more planted. But then I've had a rear shock leaked out for a while now.

Other than having to lower and raise the spare - the raising was a pain even using a drill-driver. Damn thing would not stay level.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Installed Bilstein 5100 shocks today.

Feels firmer and a bit more planted. But then I've had a rear shock leaked out for a while now.

Other than having to lower and raise the spare - the raising was a pain even using a drill-driver. Damn thing would not stay level.
Do you have an adapter for your drill-driver or is there some magic socket size I can never find in my toolbox that actually fits?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have an adapter for your drill-driver or is there some magic socket size I can never find in my toolbox that actually fits?

I think it was a 3/8 12-point. fit over the square end of the jackshaft.

I did have something else in my toolbox I used before I can't recall right now, but I was using my buddy's heated RV repair shop and tools.

Used my new 1400lb.ft Dewalt impact too. It's a beast but too big for under the truck stuff.

Johnnynapalm

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, it was custom. I needed to have a solid bar for quads, bicycles, etc. Mcmaster Carr for hardware and Amazon for the folding cleats.
Awesome. What size did you go with (thickness), where did you get it, and how did you attach it to the bed? I plan on following your directions.

Kldugas

Reaction score
More like, WHAT SOMEONE DID TO MY RAM! Well, I had a 2 day class in Houston. The wife came with me for a little vaca from the kids. We flew in and got a rental. The only thing they had at time was a mini van or a Ram 1500. Of course, I picked the Ram! Well, Thursday I got out of class early. Our flight was at 6:00pm. We decided to stop at Pappasito’s in Humble, TX to eat lunch. And then we came out to this!! Mind you we were in there less then 1 hour and it’s noon! They nabbed my backpack. It had my passport, Mariner’s credentials, a tablet, Air Pods, and of course my wife’s keys (we drove her car to airport). Well, no Passport means I can’t go to work, this Tuesday. Which means I won’t be paid! I work overseas in South America on 28 day rotation. And, the earliest appointment I can get to get a new one is August 30!!! Chances are they took tablet and AirPods and just chucked my backpack!! Worst part is that I can track location of the AirPods, and I’ve been tracking there location. I didn’t even think about it until after we got back home! Absolutely worst day I’ve had in a long time! On top of all that, flights were delayed for 6 hrs and we didn’t get home until 3:30am!!

Anyway, thanks for all you guys hearing my venting!!!
O
Man that sucks! I've always been so paranoid about having my passport with me. Its so bad I don't put it in a bag unless it's at the rig in my locker... This just makes it worse...my wife just doesn't understand...

clownpocket

Reaction score
Awesome. What size did you go with (thickness), where did you get it, and how did you attach it to the bed? I plan on following your directions.
I bought the extruded aluminum, angle brackets, and t-slot nuts through Mcmaster-Carr and cut to length:

1670986034127.png

Cleats came from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HLTX6X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased black sheet metal screws from the local hardware store. I think it would be cleaner if you drilled and mounted the angles from the backside (front of the bed) so it would almost "float"

I can take close-up photos if you need them.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 123

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
More like, WHAT SOMEONE DID TO MY RAM! Well, I had a 2 day class in Houston. The wife came with me for a little vaca from the kids. We flew in and got a rental. The only thing they had at time was a mini van or a Ram 1500. Of course, I picked the Ram! Well, Thursday I got out of class early. Our flight was at 6:00pm. We decided to stop at Pappasito’s in Humble, TX to eat lunch. And then we came out to this!! Mind you we were in there less then 1 hour and it’s noon! They nabbed my backpack. It had my passport, Mariner’s credentials, a tablet, Air Pods, and of course my wife’s keys (we drove her car to airport). Well, no Passport means I can’t go to work, this Tuesday. Which means I won’t be paid! I work overseas in South America on 28 day rotation. And, the earliest appointment I can get to get a new one is August 30!!! Chances are they took tablet and AirPods and just chucked my backpack!! Worst part is that I can track location of the AirPods, and I’ve been tracking there location. I didn’t even think about it until after we got back home! Absolutely worst day I’ve had in a long time! On top of all that, flights were delayed for 6 hrs and we didn’t get home until 3:30am!!

Anyway, thanks for all you guys hearing my venting!!!

I know, Zombie post.

Oh man, that sucks so hard. I feel bad for you.

I carry my passport in my backpack along with work laptop and often leave it in the rental for a late dinner after work. Definitely been playing with fire. Reason I prefer a sedan so I can lock it in the trunk but almost everything is SUV now and I always get upgrades before I land or can pick something (Avis president's club) and usually can't pick a sedan unless I go complain at the preferred counter. I think now I will take the time to always drop it at the hotel first or carry it with me. I'd be devastated if I lost the laptop while working. Would certainly ruin my week.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I know, Zombie post.

I carry my passport in my backpack along with work laptop and often leave it in the rental for a late dinner after work. Definitely been playing with fire. Reason I prefer a sedan so I can lock it in the trunk but almost everything is SUV now and I always get upgrades before I land or can pick something (Avis president's club) and usually can't pick a sedan unless I go complain at the preferred counter. I think now I will take the time to always drop it at the hotel first or carry it with me. I'd be devastated if I lost the laptop while working. Would certainly ruin my week.
That was always my biggest fear when I was consulting. It’s amazing how much the change to working from home 100% reduced my stress level.

CFE

Reaction score
I know, Zombie post.

I carry my passports in a RFID wallet and keep that on me. Tends to be bulky but no way am I leaving them any where they can be stolen....especially if I travel w/ both my personal and official versions. I can't imagine having it stolen - much less having it stolen in another country.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread