Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you monitoring with digital monitors

Will_T

Reaction score
Yeah I did just that this morning. Looks like there’s a bug in the most recent firmware. He had me dump out some info to forward over to the engineering department. Gonna downgrade to the previous firmware.
It is frustrating the way so much tech has problems with firmware and software updates. I don't know why many companies cannot release software and firmware that is well vetted and tested. Some do, but many more don't.

I have had an Orbi router for our large, spread-out home and property for a few years. It is a great router for covering a large area. But, they have an absolutely terrible firm and software update history. Almost every update breaks something. And then you are told how to fix it by very complicated and time-consuming methods of uninstalling, and reinstalling, resetting to factory defaults and reinstalling, setting up the whole router from scratch etc., etc. Doing any of that with an Orbi system is frustratingly time consuming and way above the average user's comfort level. But the tech support people online make it sound easy and make user's feel stupid for not being as technically proficient as the support people. So, many of us just stay on old firmware and software that is at least working but may not have the latest features and security.

I am not saying Banks is anywhere as bad as Netgear/Orbi or many others, they are not. And they have reachable tech support. But it is still an effort to update an iDash. And then to have to downgrade and hope that the eventual fixed release is really fixed is frustrating.

What did they say about oil temp?

Last edited:

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I will be interested to hear what you think. I am familiar with the Banks of course, and also the Edge CTS, but not any of the others.
I used it on my ecodiesel. All diesel related gauges are there and the app display is customizable.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It is frustrating the way so much tech has problems with firmware and software updates. I don't know why many companies cannot release software and firmware that is well vetted and tested. Some do, but many more don't.

I have had an Orbi router for our large, spread-out home and property for a few years. It is a great router for covering a large area. But, they have an absolutely terrible firm and software update history. Almost every update breaks something. And then you are told how to fix it by very complicated and time-consuming methods of uninstalling, and reinstalling, resetting to factory defaults and reinstalling, setting up the whole router from scratch etc., etc. Doing any of that with an Orbi system is frustratingly time consuming and way above the average user's comfort level. But the tech support people online make it sound easy and make user's feel stupid for not being as technically proficient as the support people. So, many of us just stay on old firmware and software that is at least working but may not have the latest features and security.

I am not saying Banks is anywhere as bad as Netgear/Orbi or many others, they are not. And they have reachable tech support. But it is still an effort to update an iDash. And then to have to downgrade and hope that the eventual fixed release is really fixed is frustrating.

Love my UBNT stuff.

toyboy1980

Reaction score

That it isn’t currently there, but should be able to be done in a future update. I officially requested it for us. Haha.

Will_T

Reaction score
That it isn’t currently there, but should be able to be done in a future update. I officially requested it for us. Haha.
That is weird. Banks prides themselves on covering as many PIDs as possible. But there was another one I called them about a few months ago that was not in there. They told me the same thing. I can't recall what it is right now so I must not miss it. If I remember I will update. Hopefully Banks will put them in an update that does not break anything else!

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
Here's my CTS3 screen
I did really like that model when I got the iDash. I like the iDash as it is a smaller, round gauge. But the CTS3 is better in other ways. The thing was that when I bought mine last spring, the CTS3 was not working with the 2021 6.7 and they told me, twice, that it would be at least the beginning of 2022 before they could promise the first release for my truck. Not sure where they stand now but back then, that was too long of a wait.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You likely saw the previous post by @Brutal_HO and I was confused. So, if oil temp is actual, I am not sure why it would not be in the iDash. I will look specifically next time I am in the truck.
There’s no oil temp sensor, or oil pressure sensor on a CTD. There is an oil pressure switch.

Will_T

Reaction score
There’s no oil temp sensor, or oil pressure sensor on a CTD. There is an oil pressure switch.
So that is probably why the iDash has neither. What is the OEM readout in the dash doing to get the oil temp? Is it estimating like Brutal said with the pressure?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So that is probably why the iDash has neither. What is the OEM readout in the dash doing to get the oil temp? Is it estimating like Brutal said with the pressure?
Just the PCM calculating off other parameters and spitting out what you want to see.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The thing was that when I bought mine last spring, the CTS3 was not working with the 2021 6.7 and they told me, twice, that it would be at least the beginning of 2022 before they could promise the first release for my truck. Not sure where they stand now but back then, that was too long of a wait.
I installed the CTS3 on my 2020 in April, even thought Edge said the same ting, "2020 not supported."
It worked fine, yes, some PIDs were not working, but the updates kept coming and improvement with each one. They are still coming. In Sept, I had three within 2 weeks. "Miles since last regen" hasn't worked since 2016 and "Forced Regen" was dropped (still in the CTS2). Edge seems to update every time they have an improvement, which I wish they would announce or have an auto update feature.

Will_T

Reaction score
I installed the CTS3 on my 2020 in April, even thought Edge said the same ting, "2020 not supported."
Someone told me that the difference in support for the 2021 between Edge and Banks was minimal. it was just semantics in how the two companies claimed the gauges worked. So I probably could have gone with the Edge but by then I had the iDash. It was just that Banks said they did support it and it works well with a few missing PIDs. Edge said no support for 2021, but as you point out, their CTS3 works comparably to the iDash. I have been satisfied with the iDash but do like the display of the new Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread