Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you monitoring with digital monitors

phillips66

Reaction score
I’m new to diesel motors and thanks for all the information you guys supply here, and thanks to Will_t for all your info on the idash.
my question is what is everyone monerting with there guages and why? I know the egt v1 is what banks is calling it and everyone says wait until it gets under 400 before shutting the truck down. What as a newbie should I be watching/monirting?

thanks in advance

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I’m new to diesel motors and thanks for all the information you guys supply here, and thanks to Will_t for all your info on the idash.
my question is what is everyone monerting with there guages and why? I know the egt v1 is what banks is calling it and everyone says wait until it gets under 400 before shutting the truck down. What as a newbie should I be watching/monirting?

thanks in advance
I’m doing EGT, RPM, Boost PSI, Coolant Temp, Trans Temp, Batt Voltage, and Fuel Level %

Will_T

Reaction score
Here is a photo of mine as it normally is. A few of the fields are things I am not sure that I will keep or change. For example "DPFOP1" I guess that does not make sense by itself as you would also need to have the inlet pressure "DPFIP1" to compare. But I don't know for sure how that works. Also I am not sure that AAT is useful as it is always very close to the temps the truck's dash already displays. And battery voltage is not really necessary. So I have 3 fields that could be used for things more useful. Just have not figured out what those are yet. I will be watching this thread to see what others are monitoring and hopefully be able to change those out for better parameters.

And here is the only online list of parameters I could find for the 6.7. It is for "2015+" but I know I have some on mine that are not on the list so maybe it has not been recently updated. But I can't find that Banks has put anything more recent online?

Banks photo.jpg

Will_T

Reaction score
I’m doing EGT, RPM, Boost PSI, Coolant Temp, Trans Temp, Batt Voltage, and Fuel Level %
Those 7 parameters are all good things to monitor. On mine I have battery voltage also but am uncertain if I will keep it displayed.

I use EGT1 and EGT3 together. EGT1 helps me avoid shutting down when temp is too high. EGT1 compared to EGT3 is interesting to watch when that "Regen" field switches to "On" every 24 hours.

I have Boost, Coolant and Trans temp on the truck's display so don't use them on the iDash.

I did not know that Fuel Level % was available. I will check that one out. May be interesting or inaccurate since I replaced the OEM 32 gallon tank with a Titan 52 gallon.

Will_T

Reaction score
@phillips66 One other thought meant only as a suggestion as I am very interested in this topic, is about the title of your thread... Judging from other threads, not too many people here use the iDash. So if you take the "Banks iDash" out of the thread title and just leave digital monitor or gauge, we may get posts from folks using other devices like the Edge CTS3, etc. I think seeing what they are monitoring will be just as helpful to me.

jkempken

Reaction score
I use Torque Pro currently on a tablet connected to OBD Link MX+. Right now I have lots of stuff on there, GPS Speed, Vehicle Speed, Fuel %, DEF %, Turbo Backpressure, Boost pressure, Fuel railed commanded, Fuel Rail actual, EGR% actual, Torque Convertor Status, Engine Load %, Turbo Vane position, 3 different EGT's, Regen status. I don't really need all of these these since I am stock and pull less than 10k just nice to look at every so often.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Honestly, most of that stuff is useless (but fun) to monitor on a daily basis. It's a great troubleshooting tool if you are having problems though. I say that because you really won't know what is good or bad on most of it unless it's an obvious failure.

EGT's are always a good one to watch for cool down and to see regens but keep in mind it is post turbo so EGT1 will be ~300 +/- less then pre-turbo so if you see that climbing into the 1k range + you need to be careful.
Turbo vain position is another cool one to watch to see how it reacts. For troubleshooting you can compare commanded vs actual etc.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Do any of you guys see the option for oil temp in your iDash? Seems like something that would be there, but I don’t have it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I use Torque Pro currently on a tablet connected to OBD Link MX+. Right now I have lots of stuff on there, GPS Speed, Vehicle Speed, Fuel %, DEF %, Turbo Backpressure, Boost pressure, Fuel railed commanded, Fuel Rail actual, EGR% actual, Torque Convertor Status, Engine Load %, Turbo Vane position, 3 different EGT's, Regen status. I don't really need all of these these since I am stock and pull less than 10k just nice to look at every so often.

I'm planning to retire a spare Galaxy S6 phone and use the wife's old Galaxy Tab E 8.0 if the stock reflash gets it to stop locking up... Just need to figure out a suitable mount.

Are you using the old Cummins PID file for Torque that's floating around or did you find something else? Does TC status even work? I've thought about the possibility of exporting PID from OBDLink software but haven't' looked at it yet.

Will_T

Reaction score
Do any of you guys see the option for oil temp in your iDash? Seems like something that would be there, but I don’t have it.
I have oil temp showing on my truck's display so I have not looked specifically for it on the iDash. But I have been in the parameters on the iDash a lot and don't remember seeing it. I think I read that even the Ram itself displays a "calculated" oil temp not an actual measured temp. I may have that confused with something else? But if true, it makes sense it would not be on the IDash as there is no actual readout from the ECM for it.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I have oil temp showing on my truck's display so I have not looked specifically for it on the iDash. But I have been in the parameters on the iDash a lot and don't remember seeing it. I think I read that even the Ram itself displays a "calculated" oil temp not an actual measured temp. I may have that confused with something else? But if true, it makes sense it would not be on the IDash as there is no actual readout from the ECM for it.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah I can go scroll through the pages on the dash display and get to it. Just though it would be nice to have it on the iDash.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I believe it's just oil PSI that's fake (calculated).

Will_T

Reaction score
Gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah I can go scroll through the pages on the dash display and get to it. Just though it would be nice to have it on the iDash.
You likely saw the previous post by @Brutal_HO and I was confused. So, if oil temp is actual, I am not sure why it would not be in the iDash. I will look specifically next time I am in the truck.

jkempken

Reaction score
I'm planning to retire a spare Galaxy S6 phone and use the wife's old Galaxy Tab E 8.0 if the stock reflash gets it to stop locking up... Just need to figure out a suitable mount.

Are you using the old Cummins PID file for Torque that's floating around or did you find something else? Does TC status even work? I've thought about the possibility of exporting PID from OBDLink software but haven't' looked at it yet.
I used the 2018 PID's and they mostly work. DEF Tank percentage is off by a bunch and the turbo RPM is way off it appears. Torque convertor lockup status does work, 32 is locked, 64 is partially locked, and 128 is unlocked for the PID's I use. For some reason when I leave the wireless MX+ in the truck it causes a battery drain, the clock goes wonky, and the torque convertor lock-up doesn't work. Normally I take it out of the OBII port after after trip and plug it back in when I start the truck up. the PID's where posted in a link a while back I think or another thread.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the 2018 PID's and they mostly work. DEF Tank percentage is off by a bunch and the turbo RPM is way off it appears. Torque convertor lockup status does work, 32 is locked, 64 is partially locked, and 128 is unlocked for the PID's I use. For some reason when I leave the wireless MX+ in the truck it causes a battery drain, the clock goes wonky, and the torque convertor lock-up doesn't work. Normally I take it out of the OBII port after after trip and plug it back in when I start the truck up. the PID's where posted in a link a while back I think or another thread.

I was having some OBDLink wonkiness in mine.

I had never updated the firmware, maybe try that if you haven't.

Would you mind sharing the PID file if you can post it up on a g-drive share or something? I think I only had the "2013+ Cummins" PID file.

jkempken

Reaction score
I was having some OBDLink wonkiness in mine.

I had never updated the firmware, maybe try that if you haven't.

Would you mind sharing the PID file if you can post it up on a g-drive share or something? I think I only had the "2013+ Cummins" PID file.
That is the PID file I used I believe. Will check and let yah know.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
You likely saw the previous post by @Brutal_HO and I was confused. So, if oil temp is actual, I am not sure why it would not be in the iDash. I will look specifically next time I am in the truck.
I definitely don’t have it. Figured I’d update the firmware to see if it was added. Not only did it not get added, but I LOST transmission temp. Lol. Pretty dumb.

Will_T

Reaction score
I definitely don’t have it. Figured I’d update the firmware to see if it was added. Not only did it not get added, but I LOST transmission temp. Lol. Pretty dumb.
I would give Banks a call. I've talked to their tech support a couple of times and they've been pretty knowledgeable and helpful. Something is not right if you really lost transmission temp.
800-601-8072. I have used their call back instead of holding and they have been reliable.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I would give Banks a call. I've talked to their tech support a couple of times and they've been pretty knowledgeable and helpful. Something is not right if you really lost transmission temp.
800-601-8072. I have used their call back instead of holding and they have been reliable.
Yeah I did just that this morning. Looks like there’s a bug in the most recent firmware. He had me dump out some info to forward over to the engineering department. Gonna downgrade to the previous firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread