Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't unlock after remote start

kristof

Reaction score
Or how about we ask someone who have same truck but his remote start working fine to past here his settings from AlfaOBD and compare to my settings lets say?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So i did a bit more of my own testing yesterday and found that when remote start is active or even when the truck is left running and you get out and lock it to say run into a store, the fob is slow to respond in both locking and unlocking events. I am a Radio tech by trade, so I also tested the keyfobs, they seem to be in the 433-434Mhz range, and then also used an Anritsu Spectrum analyzer to see if there was any RFI (RF Interference) being generated while the truck was running. As far as I could see with olacing the unit in the cab, and walking around outside, there was none. I am going to try running the antenna for the analyzer along the wiring that goes to the rf hub and at the rf hub to see if it may be interference coming uo the wiring. At this point I am trying to figure out if the rf hub is properly processing the lock/unlock commands, and just not getting them to the bcm, or if the fob’s rf is somehow being distorted /interfered with causing the rf hub to ignore them. Does anyone know if you can see the live fob press activity info in Alfa OBD? Also. Where is the RF hub located in a 2020 Mega cab?
The rf hub is located on the back wall towards the driver side about middle of seat back height. The remote start antenna is internal to the hub. You can’t read live data of the hub with AlfaOBD, but you can read the system status of the hub to see the last fob button released and it’s signal strength when it was released. You could shut yourself into the truck, remote start the truck, then press the unlock button once (whether it unlocks or not). Connect to the rf hub and read the system status. Scroll down to RKE Key Fob Data. If it says Last RKE Fobik Button Released: Lock + Panic (lock+panick= unlock for some reason), then you at least know that the rf hub received the signal from fob, but didn’t do anything with the command. If it says Last RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) Fobik Button Released: Remote Start, then you know the hub never even acknowledged the unlock signal from the fob.

kristof

Reaction score
So to do that in alfaobd I choose "radio frequency hub(hub) and then "radio frequency hub my13-20 power net"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So to do that in alfaobd I choose "radio frequency hub(hub) and then "radio frequency hub my13-20 power net"

Yes. Once connected, select the battery icon in the lower right (Android version), then read system status. Make sure you press the unlock button before you connect to the rf hub

kristof

Reaction score
One screenshot when I pressed unlock button and it didn't unlock. Second screenshot I took when it finally unlocked
f14d032faf58e7339aac19534542cc60.jpg
c5295be9987de848476767a8cb6b2e87.jpg

kristof

Reaction score
Is that what you were looking for? On the first screen it should say "Last RKE Fobik Button Released: Remote Start (or something like that) not " not defined"

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
One screenshot when I pressed unlock button and it didn't unlock. Second screenshot I took when it finally unlocked
f14d032faf58e7339aac19534542cc60.jpg
c5295be9987de848476767a8cb6b2e87.jpg

Is that what you were looking for?

Yeah, but not sure what to make of it yet. The hub seems to not know what button you pressed. You would think if it didn’t receive anything at all from the fob, it should say remote start as the last button released. How about three tests in a row:
Sitting in the truck, remote start it, then read the system status and make sure remote start shows as the last button released.
Start over, remote start the truck, press unlock once (hoping it doesn’t unlock), read status, see if it says not defined. If it does, it knows “something” was transmitted to it from the fob, but doesn’t know what. I have no idea why that would be.
Remote start again, press unlock until it unlocks, make sure it shows unlock as last button released.

kristof

Reaction score
If I read the system after I press remote start only it reads "not defined" same if I press remote start car starts and then press unlock and it won't unlock. Says "not-defined". If it finally unlocks it says "unlock"

Jimmy07

Reaction score
If I read the system after I press remote start only it reads "not defined" same if I press remote start car starts and then press unlock and it won't unlock. Says "not-defined". If it finally unlocks it says "unlock"

Hmmm. I’m curious what a factory equipped remote start reads that has this issue. @Nucknfutz , if you have AlfaOBD, does your last button release after remote starting show not defined?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
So i did a bit more of my own testing yesterday and found that when remote start is active or even when the truck is left running and you get out and lock it to say run into a store, the fob is slow to respond in both locking and unlocking events. I am a Radio tech by trade, so I also tested the keyfobs, they seem to be in the 433-434Mhz range, and then also used an Anritsu Spectrum analyzer to see if there was any RFI (RF Interference) being generated while the truck was running. As far as I could see with olacing the unit in the cab, and walking around outside, there was none. I am going to try running the antenna for the analyzer along the wiring that goes to the rf hub and at the rf hub to see if it may be interference coming uo the wiring. At this point I am trying to figure out if the rf hub is properly processing the lock/unlock commands, and just not getting them to the bcm, or if the fob’s rf is somehow being distorted /interfered with causing the rf hub to ignore them. Does anyone know if you can see the live fob press activity info in Alfa OBD? Also. Where is the RF hub located in a 2020 Mega cab?

So I was going to suggest moving your phone to your back pocket but you are way ahead of the game having an RF analyzer! We used to have a spot here in San Diego that was a little inspiration point. The kind of place you don't want to disturb anybody. Every time I went up there my remote wouldn't open the door or turn off the alarm. A bit embarrassing with all the clamor. I thought it was a fluke the first time. Learned my lesson the second time. Found out the frequency causing the disturbance was an upper harmonic of the remote frequency. I just unplugged the alarm for those trips. LOL

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
Ok, so i have alfa obd for the laptop, and took my truck out into a parking lot so i diddnt piss my neighbors off. You dont even have to remote start the truck to make the fob flakey. Jist sit in it with it idling and press lock/unlock every so often. My findings were that when the truck unlocks/locks, the rf hub shows the signal strength and button pressed (ie:212, and unlock. lock-shows as panik). Remote starting the truck comes up with the signal strength, and “not defined” as the last RKE for me too. The rf hub does not show an event when the fob fails to lock/unlock the truck. I did not bring the spectrum analyzer with me to verify that the fob was putting out signal on the failed lock/unlock attempts, but when I did have the analyzer yeaterday, every time I pressed the fob it showed up on the analyzer. I will do a few more tests and see what else I can find

Last edited:

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
778045FD-BE74-4C52-8A93-ADBEA10DD903.jpeg
The above pic is what i get when i Remote start the truck. Same as Kristof. I have also found that th rf hub must get data commands to either disable it’s internal RF receiver or ignore button presses from the fob at times. Once I started driving across the parking lot the rf hub ignored any and all lock/unlock presses from my fob (probably cause the vehicle was in motion) and did not log any key presses in RKE in Alfa OBD either. So I am wondering if it intermittantly is getting data to disable the hub when the truck is idling, or if there is a data/software glitch that is doing it. Seems that range isnt an issue when the truck is off, and inside the cab with the fob I get signal of 212 ish, and 180-190 outside the cab. Signal strength from the fob to RF hub seems the same with truck on or off when a successful command is received by the module.

Last edited:

kristof

Reaction score
What I have tried last night also is I started my truck and got out with fob in my hand. I closed the door and tried to lock it with fob and I couldn't even with the button on the door. I had to place the fob inside the truck. Is it possible the hub won't unlock my truck because the fob is not on the inside? BTW Nucknfutz do you use windows laptop with AlfaOBD? I would like to put the software on laptop or tablet also

kristof

Reaction score
It will be nice if somebody who have truck with remote start from factory , that works like it should , could do the same test and let us know what he gets.

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
kristof, yes I am using a laptop with Windows 7, and am using a usb to obd cable, the obdlink ex. Also I can not use the door lock button on my door to lock the truck if it is running and I get out either. Pretty sure thats to prevent a person from locking their keys inside but i may be wrong

kristof

Reaction score
kristof, yes I am using a laptop with Windows 7, and am using a usb to obd cable, the obdlink ex. Also I can not use the door lock button on my door to lock the truck if it is running and I get out either. Pretty sure thats to prevent a person from locking their keys inside but i may be wrong
I'm not sure if you are home or not. If not I will test after work. But what I want to do next is to place one FOB inside the car and remote start it with another and see if I will be able to unlock from outside.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Correct, that’s part of the keyless go system (fobik safe). The door lock switch is disabled while the truck is running.
Definitely sounds like the hub is glitching out thinking the truck is in gear or something. Not sure how it can be corrected except a reset or replacement. Thing is, I don’t think there is a hub reset procedure provided for these new hubs on the 2019+ rams like there was on a 4th gen.

kristof

Reaction score
Correct, that’s part of the keyless go system (fobik safe). The door lock switch is disabled while the truck is running.
Definitely sounds like the hub is glitching out thinking the truck is in gear or something. Not sure how it can be corrected except a reset or replacement. Thing is, I don’t think there is a hub reset procedure provided for these new hubs on the 2019+ rams like there was on a 4th gen.
Not necessary in gear. It might be that the car thinks you start it (with push button) and the fob "left" the vehicle. Same as if I start the car and get out of it and not able to lock it with fob.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Not necessary in gear. It might be that the car thinks you start it (with push button) and the fob "left" the vehicle. Same as if I start the car and get out of it and not able to lock it with fob.
Could be, but it would also trigger the fob has left the vehicle message. Either way, I there’s no “serviceable way” to correct why it’s behaving like that.

kristof

Reaction score
Could be. Either way, I there’s no “serviceable way” to correct why it’s behaving like that.
That's not good. I spoke to Mopar and they told me even if Mopar remote start was installed by me I have to pay $150 for diagnostic fee. There must be something in the alfaobd that need to be set for it work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread