Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Issues - Chrysler Denied Warranty - Help!

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Looks like you do have bigger tires on it? But as you say, there are always outliers, no matter the tranny. I read of very few issues with the 68rfe in 5th gen trucks on the forums.

You put a lot of miles on! My 22 2500 Mega Cummins only has 7K on it, so I'm at the opposite side of that scale.

Would be nice to get more info from the OP though.
If these transmissions can’t handle 35’s on stock gearing then they are a joke. I ran 35’s on my 2017 2500 for 80k miles with no issues and ran 35’s on 3 tundras before I jumped into the Cummins. I drive about 20k a year between work and recreation and the tranny started acting up while unloaded so who knows. I’m hoping for an update from the dealer today but we will see

JABAR357

Reaction score
That’s crazy I seen where my truck gave me overloaded warning when I had my 5th wheel hooked up and the truck trailer was selected for conventional trailer. Makes me wonder if that message is stored and will cause warranty issue in the future.

jsalbre

Reaction score
That’s crazy I seen where my truck gave me overloaded warning when I had my 5th wheel hooked up and the truck trailer was selected for conventional trailer. Makes me wonder if that message is stored and will cause warranty issue in the future.
That warning is because you exceeded the capacity of your rear air suspension. It has nothing to do with the type of trailer, just how much weight is on the rear axle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nope hell they cant even tell what a code was if you clear it before going to the dealer

jetrinka

Reaction score
Transmission doesn't care about how much weight is on the pin or rear hitch - it just wants to pull regardless. You could technically load 5k worth of gravel into the bed of the truck and overload it suspension-wise but the transmission wouldn't care one bit.

Dealer is full of BS. Until they can prove you were "pulling" too much weight go tell them to pound sand....

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I manage the firm and have been tasked with helping solve this issue. I attached the receipt for maybe someone to take a look at? This is the visit they told us we needed a new transmission and it wouldn't be covered. We have been towing the same trailer and equipment since this failure with a 2017 Chevy 2500 (gasoline, not diesel) and haven't had any trouble. I was absolutely certain the trailer and gear did not exceed any of the weight ratings of the 2500. I did call a Ram Recall number I found on another post and they advised to try to take it to a 3rd dealership. I plan on trying that next week. I'm just at a loss and was hoping someone had someone who knew who to call to get some actual help. Does the attachment show anything that anyone understands?

Attachments

• 2022 Ram Transmission Receipt.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 58

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Seems like a number of folks get on here and ask a question and then disappear. Get on here only if they have an issue and never contribute.
I'm here but I will say I am a 43 year old lady who knows nothing about cars! I don't think I can contribute much unless anyone wants to know a great recipe for a homemade Kahlua cake LOL! I did just post before you and added an attachment of the dealership response when we brought it to them for the second tranny issue. I'm just at a loss and have called multiple Ram numbers, went to a second dealership, and already contacted an attorney (but legal help seems to be easier to find for a consumer than a business regarding denied warranty claims). We are a small family owned business of 20 people so 15k for a transmission or thousands to an attorney is a lot for us, sadly.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I manage the firm and have been tasked with helping solve this issue. I attached the receipt for maybe someone to take a look at? This is the visit they told us we needed a new transmission and it wouldn't be covered. We have been towing the same trailer and equipment since this failure with a 2017 Chevy 2500 (gasoline, not diesel) and haven't had any trouble. I was absolutely certain the trailer and gear did not exceed any of the weight ratings of the 2500. I did call a Ram Recall number I found on another post and they advised to try to take it to a 3rd dealership. I plan on trying that next week. I'm just at a loss and was hoping someone had someone who knew who to call to get some actual help. Does the attachment show anything that anyone understands?
C15DA is an air suspension fault that payload was exceeded (somewhere around 3300 lbs on a 2500 air suspension), but that pertains to issues with weight on the air suspension system. They can’t determine that because payload was exceeded, towing capacity “must” have been exceeded. You have a 2500, but the 3500 also uses the same transmission you have, so your transmission will realistically handle the towing capacity of a 68RFE equipped 3500.
A 3500 can also handle the payload at which the 2500 air suspension throws the overload fault.

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
C15DA is an air suspension fault that payload was exceeded (somewhere around 3300 lbs on a 2500 air suspension), but that pertains to issues with weight on the air suspension system. They can’t determine that because payload was exceeded, towing capacity “must” have been exceeded. You have a 2500, but the 3500 also uses the same transmission you have, so your transmission will realistically handle the towing capacity of a 68RFE equipped 3500.
A 3500 can also handle the payload at which the 2500 air suspension throws the overload fault.
Jimmy, thank you! I'll do some research myself now about the air suspension though I am so confused. This has been such a mess to handle and I've tried learning everything I can to get this sorted out. Based off your answer above do you feel this is something I should continue to try to fight with to have repaired under warranty? The truck, equipment on the truck, trailer, and equipment on the trailer curb weight (at the weight station, fully loaded) was at least a few thousand pounds under the 26k max. Neither the truck w equipment exceeded the weight on the door sticker nor did the trailer w equipment or ALL combined exceed the sticker numbers. We are in Florida, there are no hills or anything. As the 2017 Chevy 2500 (gasoline) is pulling everything great I just don't see how a new Ram diesel couldn't?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Jimmy, thank you! I'll do some research myself now about the air suspension though I am so confused. This has been such a mess to handle and I've tried learning everything I can to get this sorted out. Based off your answer above do you feel this is something I should continue to try to fight with to have repaired under warranty? The truck, equipment on the truck, trailer, and equipment on the trailer curb weight (at the weight station, fully loaded) was at least a few thousand pounds under the 26k max. Neither the truck w equipment exceeded the weight on the door sticker nor did the trailer w equipment or ALL combined exceed the sticker numbers. We are in Florida, there are no hills or anything. As the 2017 Chevy 2500 (gasoline) is pulling everything great I just don't see how a new Ram diesel couldn't?
Yes you should absolutely still pursue the warranty repair.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
My truck ('22 2500 Mega Cab Cummins) has been at the dealer for two weeks now with a coded transmission issue. They are supposed to be breaking the tranny down today to get a look at the internals and see if a snap ring failed. My truck has 35,944 miles on it a not abused. I don't like being the outlier but im dead in the water for the time being...
Snap rings are failing on 22 Aisin trans, if your is a 2500 you haven't got one, unless there's a similar issue with 68rfe and snap rings I'm not aware of

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yup they can't make that claim that transmission was overused based on overload suspension code. As someone else mentioned this code means the payload was exceeded, not the max tow rating. There doesn't need to be a trailer hooked up at all for this code to come up. Half a pallet of cement bags in the bed would overload the suspension but not the transmission, improperly loaded (nose heavy) trailer would overload the suspension and still could be way below the max tow rating. That dealer is full of ****...

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Snap rings are failing on 22 Aisin trans, if your is a 2500 you haven't got one, unless there's a similar issue with 68rfe and snap rings I'm not aware of
Yeah I may be interchanging the incorrect term. “C retainer clip or snap ring that retains some cylinder for the overdrive clutch is what it understood from the code it threw. Or a bad valve body which I think would be more preferable and require less invasive repair. If it’s the retainer clip/ring it’s like a $6 part and would be just my luck. Lol

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I'm here but I will say I am a 43 year old lady who knows nothing about cars! I don't think I can contribute much unless anyone wants to know a great recipe for a homemade Kahlua cake LOL! I did just post before you and added an attachment of the dealership response when we brought it to them for the second tranny issue. I'm just at a loss and have called multiple Ram numbers, went to a second dealership, and already contacted an attorney (but legal help seems to be easier to find for a consumer than a business regarding denied warranty claims). We are a small family owned business of 20 people so 15k for a transmission or thousands to an attorney is a lot for us, sadly.
I would clear the code for the airbag overload before takin it to the 3rd dealer and let that pop up With then try to recreate the issue

jebruns

Reaction score
If these transmissions can’t handle 35’s on stock gearing then they are a joke. I ran 35’s on my 2017 2500 for 80k miles with no issues and ran 35’s on 3 tundras before I jumped into the Cummins. I drive about 20k a year between work and recreation and the tranny started acting up while unloaded so who knows. I’m hoping for an update from the dealer today but we will see
I'm just saying it's not stock. I hope they don't use that fact to deny your warranty claim.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Following this thread due to the denied warranty claim. Sounds like a load of BS to me.

Users who are viewing this thread