Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Issues - Chrysler Denied Warranty - Help!

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 2500 diesel for my business, new from the plant. The truck only has 14k miles on it right now. Within the first few months there was a transmission issue, we took it to local dealership, and it was fixed under warranty (after many, many months due to the nationwide part list shortages). Once we got it back, again, within a few months we were having transmission issues. Took it to same dealership and they said that it was throwing a code that said the truck transmission had been "overused" due to towing a load too heavy for the vehicle. I know that we definitely did not ever have the truck/trailer overweight/overcapacity. The dealership then told us we need a new transmission for $15k because Chrysler denied the warranty claim. The dealership was no help. I did call the Chrysler customer advocacy line and was told to take it to a second dealership in the next town over. When I took the truck there the second dealership said there was nothing they could do as the truck was now basically black-listed for the denial and turned us away without looking at it.

I see all over the internet many issues with that transmission, in that year/model so we aren't the only ones. I can't find an attorney who will help with a denied warranty claim that is knowledgeable as we are not a direct consumer, it was a B2B transaction.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or what to do before we lose $15k replacing something that Chrysler should be covering under warranty?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I purchased a 2022 2500 diesel for my business, new from the plant. The truck only has 14k miles on it right now. Within the first few months there was a transmission issue, we took it to local dealership, and it was fixed under warranty (after many, many months due to the nationwide part list shortages). Once we got it back, again, within a few months we were having transmission issues. Took it to same dealership and they said that it was throwing a code that said the truck transmission had been "overused" due to towing a load too heavy for the vehicle. I know that we definitely did not ever have the truck/trailer overweight/overcapacity. The dealership then told us we need a new transmission for $15k because Chrysler denied the warranty claim. The dealership was no help. I did call the Chrysler customer advocacy line and was told to take it to a second dealership in the next town over. When I took the truck there the second dealership said there was nothing they could do as the truck was now basically black-listed for the denial and turned us away without looking at it.

I see all over the internet many issues with that transmission, in that year/model so we aren't the only ones. I can't find an attorney who will help with a denied warranty claim that is knowledgeable as we are not a direct consumer, it was a B2B transaction.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or what to do before we lose $15k replacing something that Chrysler should be covering under warranty?
Have you called ram cares? They will bring it above the dealershits head. Also try a smaller dealer they are usually better to work with

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Does the GVWR of any trailer hooked to the truck exceed the towing capacity? Does the pin weight of any exceed the stated RAWR? or payload?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I would ask to see a printed report from a scan of your truck with the specific code / data that says the truck was “overused” and “towed a load too heavy for the vehicle”. I’ve seen a lot of diagnostics and codes, never heard of one that can tag the truck for “overusing” it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would ask to see a printed report from a scan of your truck with the specific code / data that says the truck was “overused” and “towed a load too heavy for the vehicle”. I’ve seen a lot of diagnostics and codes, never heard of one that can tag the truck for “overusing” it.

The only thing I can possibly imagine is an air ride truck that throws an overload code.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I agree with this being BS. That said if the BetterWeight Payload scale can determine trailer weight and payload I would assume that data is there somewhere for the dealer to access.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Interested to see how this develops. Interesting point by @phatboy64
From an earlier discussion about built-in trailer weight technology:
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 6.25.27 AM.png

jebruns

Reaction score
I see all over the internet many issues with that transmission, in that year/model so we aren't the only ones.
Given this statement, can we assume we are talking about the Aisin tranny with the HO motor? I've read of very, very few issues with the 68RFE tranny that comes with the SO Cummins.

At any rate, I agree with others. I'd want to see some documentation on this mystery code.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Given this statement, can we assume we are talking about the Aisin tranny with the HO motor? I've read of very, very few issues with the 68RFE tranny that comes with the SO Cummins.

At any rate, I agree with others. I'd want to see some documentation on this mystery code.
If you haven't already, check out Matt Barber, he's been compiling data on Regen, Snap Ring Failure, Wrong Air filters etc.
Image 9-21-23 at 10.17 AM.jpg

Image 9-21-23 at 10.19 AM.jpg

Image 9-21-23 at 10.18 AM.jpg

MtnRider

Reaction score

He has a 2500, so it's a 68. All the issues he read on the 68 are self-inflicted from people tuning them and running up the HP (with bad driving habits).

jebruns

Reaction score
He has a 2500, so it's a 68. All the issues he read on the 68 are self-inflicted from people tuning them and running up the HP (with bad driving habits).

Yeah, I missed that, thanks. So it makes even less sense. Stock trucks running the 68RFE rarely have tranny issues. I'd be interested to see where he's finding the info saying otherwise.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed that, thanks. So it makes even less sense. Stock trucks running the 68RFE rarely have tranny issues. I'd be interested to see where he's finding the info saying otherwise.
I’m not sure I’d make that big of a stretch.

The 68 isn’t known for its reliability in stock format. Do they survive under reasonable operating conditions?….yes. But they’ve also historically demonstrated a number of their own inherent design flaws and failures that aren’t necessarily dependent upon bigger wheels and tires, and crappy tuning. They have their fair share of malfunctions and flaws in stock format, with a fully stock truck and responsible driving.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d make that big of a stretch.

The 68 isn’t known for its reliability in stock format. Do they survive under reasonable operating conditions?….yes. But they’ve also historically demonstrated a number of their own inherent design flaws and failures that aren’t necessarily dependent upon bigger wheels and tires, and crappy tuning. They have their fair share of malfunctions and flaws in stock format, with a fully stock truck and responsible driving.
Thats old folk lore from the late 3rd gen years or the guys throwing much larger tires on the 4th gens with 3.42 gears and abusing the trans not really the 19+ versions The 68rfe is a decent trans and with a simple line pressure change (and gasket change on the early 68rfe) can hold 550HP continuously.

People also say the same for the 48RE i had on my 05 and really i had great luck even running the banks tuner and 35s and pulling 14-15k regularly, i got 200k miles on the stock trans and all i needed was an accumulator seal but opted to change the trans internals completely while i had it apart.

Last edited:

Thompsre08

Reaction score
My truck ('22 2500 Mega Cab Cummins) has been at the dealer for two weeks now with a coded transmission issue. They are supposed to be breaking the tranny down today to get a look at the internals and see if a snap ring failed. My truck has 35,944 miles on it a not abused. I don't like being the outlier but im dead in the water for the time being...

jebruns

Reaction score
My truck ('22 2500 Mega Cab Cummins) has been at the dealer for two weeks now with a coded transmission issue. They are supposed to be breaking the tranny down today to get a look at the internals and see if a snap ring failed. My truck has 35,944 miles on it a not abused. I don't like being the outlier but im dead in the water for the time being...
Looks like you do have bigger tires on it? But as you say, there are always outliers, no matter the tranny. I read of very few issues with the 68rfe in 5th gen trucks on the forums.

You put a lot of miles on! My 22 2500 Mega Cummins only has 7K on it, so I'm at the opposite side of that scale.

Would be nice to get more info from the OP though.

Users who are viewing this thread